Re: [tuning] Xenharmonic singing on its way

  • Petr Pařízek
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2007
      Danny wrote:

      > 249: 81/70
      > 332: 40/33

      If someone gave me an acoustic instrument and asked me to tune these
      intervals, I'm not sure if I could really hear them well. 332 cents lies
      quite nicely between 6/5 and 11/9 and therefore will probably be quite a
      tough one for hearing as these two are much simpler ratios and thus much
      easier to find by ear. And just because they are that much simpler ratios,
      my hearing can happily lead me to choose either of these, even if I dodn't
      intent, as the one between them is significantly harder to find. BTW: You
      haven't mentioned that 249 cents is acceptably close to 15/13.

      Petr
    • Danny Wier
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2007
        From: "Petr Pařízek" <p.parizek@...>

        > Danny wrote:
        >
        >> 249: 81/70
        >> 332: 40/33
        >
        > If someone gave me an acoustic instrument and asked me to tune these
        > intervals, I'm not sure if I could really hear them well. 332 cents lies
        > quite nicely between 6/5 and 11/9 and therefore will probably be quite a
        > tough one for hearing as these two are much simpler ratios and thus much
        > easier to find by ear. And just because they are that much simpler ratios,
        > my hearing can happily lead me to choose either of these, even if I dodn't
        > intent, as the one between them is significantly harder to find. BTW: You
        > haven't mentioned that 249 cents is acceptably close to 15/13.

        Ugh, how could I forget 15/13; I should've also quoted the 17-limit diamond.
        And 332 cents is close enough to 17/14 (~ 336.130 c).

        ~D.
      • Petr Pařízek
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2007
          Danny wrote:

          > Ugh, how could I forget 15/13; I should've also quoted the 17-limit
          diamond.
          > And 332 cents is close enough to 17/14 (~ 336.130 c).

          Aha, okay, let's see what that looks like:
          ---
          Lower tone = 14
          Higher tone = 17
          Fundamental = 1
          Guide = 238
          Sum = 31
          Difference = 3
          Surrounding differences = 11 and 20
          ---
          Whoops, what a strange set of intervals that is.
          As I'm viewing this again and again, I'm getting the impression that if
          those 14 and 17 were in the sixth octave or higher, maybe I could hear it
          then. But otherwise? I'm still not sure. And I really can't sing as high as
          the sixth octave.

          Petr
        • Petr Pařízek
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
            Hi again.

            I've underestimated my time expectations. I can't manage to do all the
            pieces at the end of this week, as I originally wanted to. But I should be
            able to get at least some of them finished at that time. Do you want to hear
            some of them sooner or shall I upload them all at once within next week when
            they are ready?

            Petr