Re: [tuning] NEW: Actual barbershop quartet recording in STRICT extended JI.

  • Cody Hallenbeck
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 1, 2006
      Wow, Aaron! This sounds amazingly excellent. When I have some time
      I'll definately be checking out your score.

      Also, to be honest, I think the aliasing sounds kind of cool. I can
      see this being a useful musical effect.

    • Aaron Wolf
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 6, 2006
        > Aaron,
        >
        > Awesome!!! :-)
        >
        > Also listened to a couple more DTs tracks - Borrowed Time and
        > Breakthrough. Based on these three, you don't need me to wish
        > you luck - you've got what it takes to make good (and probably
        > commercial) music. I was wondering how you all got so _tight_.
        > But I read that Drew, Jay and Phil have been together for four
        > years as Amadeus before forming Dts in 2003, so that accounts
        > for a lot of it.
        >
        > Checked out your page -
        > http://www.darktownsaints.com/band.php?name=aaron
        > - so you're the good looking one? ;-)
        >
        > BTW, nice quote!:
        > "Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom,
        > wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love,
        > love is not music. Music is the best." — Frank Zappa
        >
        > I wasn't here last time you were around. But welcome back!
        > I'm looking forward to hearing MUCH more of your music.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Yahya

        Thanks so much for the kind words Yahya. Unfortunately, the DtS stuff was edited (not
        the live stuff, though mind you), so we weren't actually THAT perfect in the studio. I have
        dreams of having a band like this that can work in microtonal elements but keep the
        accessibility that we had. DtS is no longer, and we are going our separate ways. While
        there was conflict, we are on good terms. We all have different priorities. Drew, the
        keyboard player is the driving force behind being commercial, and I'm glad to have learned
        what I did from that focus, but it isn't my priority (although I do care to be accessible). I'm
        working on developing new microtonal music, and I've got some LONG term projects that I
        think everyone here will find exciting, but there unfortunately won't be any results for
        quite some time. In the mean time, I hope to create more barbershop part tapes and on,
        on, well, lots of ideas anyway. Thanks for the encouragement.

        -Aaron