Re: Keys and modes

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 95 , Nov 1, 2005
      See The theme of the opening movement of Bartok's Divertimento.

      Theme is based on a lydian mode, but flattens the 7th frequently.

      Lendvai calls this Bartok's 'Diatonic' mode. Interestingly it has both
      characteristic notes of the diatonic altered. Lendvai proposes that
      this mode should really read

      8:9:10:11:12:[13]:14. The 13th harmonic is replaced by the major 6th
      5/3, so I suppose the series could read:

      24:27:30:33:36:40:42:48

      but that places it on 3 rather than 1.

      Also the raised 7th appears (15/8), so maybe we should really interpret
      Bartok's scale as partials 8 through 16. However, the absence of the
      13th partial makes this questionable.

      --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, "Ozan Yarman" <ozanyarman@s...> wrote:

      > Nope, It's a piece composed in the key of Simpsian major. :)

      I would say the theme song from the
      > > TV show "The Simpsons" (one of Danny Elfman's best works
      > > in my opinion) is in Lydian mode (as is a Bartok Mikrokosmos
      > > piece of that name).
      > The Simpsons theme is not in the Lydian mode. It's in Lydian flat 7
      > or Mixolydian sharp 4.

    • Ozan Yarman
      Message 95 of 95 , Nov 3, 2005
        Maybe we understand different things from modulation?