Re: [tuning] Csound and Synthesis and general catch-up

  • Carl Lumma
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
      >> I'd love to hear more about how you achieved microtonal resythesis
      >> of a recorder sample using Cool Edit!
      >>

      >Basically I took the sample (which I'd already copied over itself
      >several times to achieve a chorus effect before I thought of retuning
      >it) used the FFT filter to isolate each of the partials of the sound,
      >and saved each partial as a separate WAV file. Actually, I mixed
      >partials 1, 2, 4, 8 ... into a single file; the same with 3, 6, 9, and
      >so on, which saved some time, since I wasn't doing any octave
      >stretching, just fitting them to ET scales. Then I resampled the
      >partials at a different pitch to match the 15-ET tuning; some of the
      >samples ended up slightly longer or shorter, but I don't remember
      >exactly how I resolved that (probably just cut off the ends of the
      >longer samples).

      That rocks.

      >In contrast, the "brass" instruments were done by mixing together sine
      >waves rounded off to the nearest 1 Hz, so that they'd loop seamlessly
      >after precisely 1 second, saving the mixed sine waves as a sample, and
      >using the built-in filters and envelope generators of the AWE32 to add
      >a "brassy" attack to the sound.

      I only have a 128kbps version of this, I think. Can you furnish
      anything better?

      -Carl
    • Herman Miller
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
        Carl Lumma wrote:

        > I only have a 128kbps version of this, I think. Can you furnish
        > anything better?

        I have the original wav file, but it's huge. The highest quality OGG is
        still pretty big, about 12.1 MB; the default quality OGG is only about
        3.4 MB. Can you play OGG files?
      • Carl Lumma
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
          >> I only have a 128kbps version of this, I think. Can you furnish
          >> anything better?
          >
          >I have the original wav file, but it's huge. The highest quality OGG is
          >still pretty big, about 12.1 MB; the default quality OGG is only about
          >3.4 MB. Can you play OGG files?

          Yes, and I'll take the 12 megger if you can host it.

          -Carl
        • Herman Miller
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
            Carl Lumma wrote:

            > Yes, and I'll take the 12 megger if you can host it.
            >
            > -Carl

            Well, it seems my new Comcast account has 25MB of web space, so here it is:

            http://home.comcast.net/~teamouse/porcupine.zip
          • Carl Lumma
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
              >Well, it seems my new Comcast account has 25MB of web space,
              >so here it is:
              >
              >http://home.comcast.net/~teamouse/porcupine.zip

              Got it. Thanks dude!

              Incidentally, this hosting is very cheap, if nothing else:

              http://ace-host.net/specialplan.html

              -Carl