Johnston's notation on Finale?

  • juhani nuorvala
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      What's the best font / symbol set for Johnston's notation on Finale?
      Have people come up with a playback solution?

      jn
    • alternativetuning
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, "juhani nuorvala" <jnylenius@y...>
        wrote:
        > What's the best font / symbol set for Johnston's notation on Finale?
        > Have people come up with a playback solution?
        >
        > jn

        Hello,

        I can't answer the first question.

        But your second question has an answer: basically, no. Johnston's
        notation is not based on notated intervals having fixed sizes, so his
        added symbols are not fixed numbers of units away from a basic set of
        intervals. Unless you are really fixed on Johnston, it's better to
        use the notation that Joe Monzo calles HEWM in his dictionary. If
        you use HEWM, then you can set up your tuning as a special key
        signature in Finale and playback through any synth with full-keyboard
        tuning option set to your complete scale.

        Gabor