looking for midi software for alternate tunings

  • Calin Turcanu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 1997
      Hi guys!

      I subscribed to this list long time ago but this's the first time I
      intervene

      I'm interested in using a MIDI system (XG or GS) to explore alternate
      tunings in a more elegant way. Are there any sequencers for this?
      Does MIDI support different tunings?

      Calin
    • John Loffink
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 1999
        > From: "Calin Turcanu" <turcanuc@...>
        >Subject: looking for midi software for alternate tunings

        >I'm interested in using a MIDI system (XG or GS) to explore alternate
        >tunings in a more elegant way. Are there any sequencers for this?
        >Does MIDI support different tunings?

        XG and GS use MIDI system exclusive messages which are supported by any
        competent sequencer. See my web site at
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/jloffink/GS_XG.html for many scales and their
        corresponding GS and XG SysEx codes.

        The MIDI tuning standard is part of the MIDI specification and is supported
        by newer Ensoniq and Emu synthesizers. There are tuning utilities which
        support it directly, and since it uses SysEx codes then sequencers support
        it as well as long as you're willing to write the codes yourself.

        John Loffink
        jloffink@...
        The Microtonal Synthesis Web Site
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/jloffink/
      • Gary Morrison
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 1999
          > I'm interested in using a MIDI system (XG or GS) to explore alternate
          > tunings in a more elegant way. Are there any sequencers for this?
          > Does MIDI support different tunings?

          Check out John Loffink's web page. (I don't recall the URL right off.)