Scales, scales....

  • Mark Gould
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      My two (just about audible) 2 cents worth...

      From what I remember, and everyone knows:

      1. Pitch discrimination is not just a matter of cent differences.
      2. Pitch discrimination varies over the range of human hearing, and is worse
      in both high and low registers, and is optimal in the band where speech
      occurs.
      3. Intonation variability in performance on any non-fixed pitch instrument,
      which is just about anything except keyboards electronic and acoustic, and
      possibly the organ.

      I'd like to see anyone hear differences of 1-4 cent in a passage of
      semiquavers played Allegro.

      Tell me, has anyone studied the effect of tuning variance on 'passage work'
      as strings call that sort of thing? IMHO, I think that discussion of minor
      pitch differences can only occur where the listener has time and the
      acoustic surroundings to focus on the note(s) in question. It's a bit like
      the difference between jumping off a high building and measuring gravity in
      a lab; in one you feel the acceleration, but don't give a damn about how
      much, the other you can spend time worring about accuracy and don't give a
      damn about how it feels.

      Mark