tuning@eartha.mills.edu, madole@dnai.com

  • Mark Nowitzky
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1998
      Hi everybody!

      Once again, the tuning list has been down for at least a week.

      At 01:59 AM 12/18/98 -0500, David Madole wrote (Digest 1606 Topic 11):
      >Subject: Tuning List Down
      >My successor at Mills is not interested in continuing with
      >the listserver.
      >
      >It is time to start to arrange to move the list.

      I believe I have found an acceptable solution to the problem.
      Until someone can come up with a better idea, I've moved the list to
      the "ONElist" mailing list system. It looks pretty stable, and
      it's "free", in the way that Hotmail is free (advertiser supported).

      Here's how it works. Instead of sending your posts to
      "tuning@...", send them to "tuning@onelist.com" instead.

      I went ahead and signed up all known subscribers. For those of you
      who preferred receiving the list in one, daily "digest" (as I do), you
      need to switch your subscription to digest mode, by sending an empty
      email to "tuning-digest@onelist.com".

      Give it a try, and let me know if it isn't working okay. Thanks,

      --Mark
      | Mark Nowitzky |
      | email: nowitzky@... AIM: Nowitzky |
      | www: http://www.pacificnet.net/~nowitzky |
      | "If you haven't visited Mark Nowitzky's home |
      | page recently, you haven't missed much..." |
    • Gary Morrison
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 1998
        > I believe I have found an acceptable solution to the problem.
        > Until someone can come up with a better idea, I've moved the list to
        > the "ONElist" mailing list system.

        This sounds fine, but in the presumably unlikely event that we find it
        unacceptable (advertisments?), it would not surprise me if I could get my
        company to sponsor the list as a community service.

        So if you folks at some time in the future find problems with this new
        arrangement, let me know that that's the case, and why. If enough concerns
        are raised, I'll go chat with my company's community-relations folks.
      • HPBohlen@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 1998
          Thanks a lot, Mark, and Happy New Year!

          Heinz Bohlen
        • alves@xxxxx.xx.xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 1999
            >I believe I have found an acceptable solution to the problem.
            >Until someone can come up with a better idea, I've moved the list to
            >the "ONElist" mailing list system. It looks pretty stable, and
            >it's "free", in the way that Hotmail is free (advertiser supported).

            Well, we very nearly had two competing tuning lists. At the request of some
            correspondents of mine, I had already put in a request for a mailing list
            to be here at my college that I would manage. Because of the holidays, I
            suspect, my request was delayed long enough for me to get this message and
            stop things on my end (I hope).

            Anyway, I'm glad the list has a home, but I remain happy to have it reside
            here if the ONEList option does not work out. It's free, easy for me to set
            up, and stable.

            Bill

            ^ Bill Alves email: alves@... ^
            ^ Harvey Mudd College URL: http://www2.hmc.edu/~alves/ ^
            ^ 301 E. Twelfth St. (909)607-4170 (office) ^
            ^ Claremont CA 91711 USA (909)607-7600 (fax) ^