microtonal modulations

  • Jay Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      Jay here,
      All those John Starret/Neill Haverstick cuts are full of interesting
      modulations, as John says. I'm surprised how easily my trombone-slide arm
      can find those places.
      Another wondrous source of such modulations is that amazing vocal music from
      the Republic of Georgia. It's usually a 3-voice polyphonythat consistently
      modulates for extended periods up or down by an interval I've not
      determined, but anyway, they always find their way back to the original pitch.
    • Carl Lumma
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
        Jay Williams wrote...

        >Another wondrous source of such modulations is that amazing vocal music
        >from the Republic of Georgia. It's usually a 3-voice polyphony that
        >consistently modulates for extended periods up or down by an interval
        >I've not determined, but anyway, they always find their way back to the
        >original pitch.

        Can you recommend any recordings?

        -Carl