Re: Middle Path 11-limit temperaments?

  • genewardsmith
    Message 1 of 139 , Jan 1, 2012
      --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lumma" <carl@...> wrote:

      > Paul published a paper, it's his business what list it
      > contains.

      I think he should have at least listened to and responded to my comments, and my attempts to formulate a way of doing what he seemed to want to do which would be less ad hoc. But that's past history. I note, however, that the sneering dismissal Dave just made is along the same lines as from years past.

      > What goes off the rails is the idea that logflat badness
      > with cutoffs is somehow just as ad hoc as a moat. In fact,
      > logflat badness is a simpler model and therefore has less
      > of an agenda than moats, which contain two cherry-picked
      > constants while adding incommensurate units. It also
      > happens that logflat badness gives better results, in my
      > subjective opinion.

      Mine too, but I spend a lot of time trying to modify things so as to bring it more into line with what Paul wanted, and got no response at all. And I think there's something flawed in a procedure which brings hedgehog to the top--it lacks all plausibility as an objective look at the question of making a list. And why, for instance, sum weighted complexity and error and not their logs?
    • dkeenanuqnetau
      Message 139 of 139 , Jan 2, 2012
        --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, "Keenan Pepper" <keenanpepper@...> wrote:
        > I was thinking it would be better to put "Middle Path" explicitly in the title, to be specific about where the criteria come from. If I were a newcomer to the wiki, I would assume that anything with a name like "catalog" or "gallery" is something comprehensive to which I could add anything I wanted, rather than a finite list with well-defined criteria.

        I agree with putting "Middle Path" in the title, and suggest calling them what Paul calls them, "Table". A gallery is usually a collection of images.

        -- Dave Keenan