87413Reflective Super Particular Scale (sound demo)

  • Michael
    Apr 14, 2010
      Yes, this is another one of my infamous "scale-chord" demos and is also in the file section.

      Listen to this, which has my scale being played for each note in the octave plus 3 notes (all sustained IE acting as a chord) and the JI diatonic doing the same thing.
      The goal is to get a higher sense of relaxation for my scale in this worst-case scenario.

           Note JI diatonic supposedly has the best consonance level regarding all possible root tones and overtones assuming fairly harmonic timbres...and yet I'm pretty sure this at least casts some doubt as to whether that is true.
        The two major advantages this scale aims at over diatonic JI are
      1)  Better root-note critical band dissonance via use of fairly low super-particular ratios between consecutive notes (13/12 or simpler)...it keeps those "minor seconds" fairly low-limit and not just things like thirds and larger intervals.
      2)  Uses mirroring around very simple intervals ALA my old "Silver Sections" scale to make it easier for the brain to keep track of patterns between the notes.  The math I used to get there is described below...
      The "RSP" (Reflected Super Particular) scale is as follows

      (in pure form)
      1/1
      13/12
      6/5                        ------3/2 * ((4/3)/(5/3))
      4/3     <second reflecting point>
      3/2     <reflecting point>
      5/3                        -------2/1 over 4/3
      11/6                       ----2/1 over 13/12
      2/1 (octave)

      (in "tempered" form...about 15 cents off )
      1/1
      13/12
             1.211 (acts as both 6/5 and 11/9)  The 11/9 interpretation is designed to form lower limit dyads with notes such as 4/3, 5/3, and 11/6.
      4/3
      3/2
      5/3
      11/6