Re: [tugsandtows] first boat build.

  • Willie B
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
      Your first build? I've built probably 15 to 20 model boats overthe years. My nephew and I were the kind of builders who were so anxious to play with the models. That sometimes we only had the wood grain with a sealer coat on them. And they would get splash tested. We didn't care what anybody thought of our boats. We just wanted to have fun. We WOULD eventually get them detailed over the months. But the distance of detail would vary from just color coded paint schemes to hand rails, working lights and twirling radars. Its a hobby, and we are in it to have fun. To me personally, everyone details their models far better than I would. Even if all they did was paint on a single color and call it good. Its all fun and good to me. JUST GO HAVE FUN!

      On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM, rbrakebill72 <rbrakebill72@...> wrote:
      I am on the final stage of building my first towboat,which unfortunately was the dumas american beauty. I have learned ALOT reading what everyone has said about the kits problems and now that its almost done I would do it completely different next time. But just how detailed should a first build be? I remember a few years back I was a member of the admirals and some guys  were walking around with scales debating just how detailed the boats should be,and I have looked at some others that arent quite as detailed. what should be an acceptable "first build"? Is it acceptable to paint a handrailing blue to go better with the newer paint scheme of this boat? Personally it just didnt look right with it being white on this kit,just looked..well boring. Is it ok to build a boat to my likings or would I be shunned because its "not perfectly to scale",or "museum quality"? I dont want to win any awards,but I would like to attend some shows and sail with others? I know alot of guys are many year veterans,and there is ALOT of knowledge to be learned.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         tugsandtows-digest@yahoogroups.com
         tugsandtows-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --

      …keep your life in sight,
      and may your lights burn bright...

    • rbrakebill72
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
        I finally have pictures up of it with the lights working and sitting on its new walnut dry dock.