Re: Spam Messages

  • Bill Z
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
      You can look in your email "sent" folder
      and verify that your account was NOTT hacked
      if your account is set up to automatically keep
      a copy of sent messages.

      Your acount was probably spoofed.

      There is NOTHING users can do to prevent
      this and changing your password will have no
      impact on this problem.

      http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&y=PROD_ACCT&id=SLN3263
      EmailSpoofingVersusHackedAccounts
      Spoofing --- Unfortunately, there is no industry-wide technical
      solution to this problem, and Yahoo! Groups is not always able to
      prevent email spoofers from posing as group members. --

      "If your Email account's "Sent items" folder indicates that mail
      was sent to Yahoo! Groups without your intention or knowledge,
      your account may have been hacked."

      Unquote

      If you read this quote from the webpage above, yahoo Ince
      explained a very easy way to tell if your email account
      was "hacked" .

      (I'm embarrassed I didn't think of this myself.)

      99% of the time these spam messages to yahoo groups
      are the result of a harmless spoof, intended to
      annoy and confuse people like us into wasting time
      taking unneccessary, additional, precautions.

      Most of the time spammers only do this once or twice and
      confused users then assume changing their password
      has solved the problem.

      Check with these people if you have questions about
      moderating a yahoo group.

      Bill Zardus
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WingedFriends/

      --- In tucson-dogs@yahoogroups.com, Marcie Velen <MajaV@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Linda- Yes, this is second time- i think it is probably the same bug, but i cant find and delete it. I will keep trying! I might have to change my email as I have heard has happened to others.
      >
      > Marcie

    • Marcie Velen
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
        thanks bill... my sent folder showed that everyone in my contacts list received emails"from me". they were split up in groups of 6 and each one had a different message line and link.i got many undelivered messages but i dont believe any of them were from yahoo or mentioned authentication issues.. i think some did refer to spam block tho. i am thinking iwas hacked. i understand that sometimes there is nothing you can do because the 'list' was already stolen and it can be used forever. I did delete my contacts folder so we will see if it keeps up a third time and if so i just have to make sure everyone knows i would never send a link without an appropriate personal message. I also understand closing my account will not stop that either! have downloaded 2 spyware/malware programs but nothing has been found.

        The only good news is so far i have not had any other computer problems nor has anyone else that DID click on the links, thinking they were from me. the links were advertisements.

        Marcie

        You can look in your email "sent" folder
        and verify that your account was NOTT hacked
        if your account is set up to automatically keep
        a copy of sent messages.

        Your acount was probably spoofed.

        There is NOTHING users can do to prevent
        this and changing your password will have no
        impact on this problem.

        http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&y=PROD_ACCT&id=SLN3263
        EmailSpoofingVersusHackedAccounts
        Spoofing --- Unfortunately, there is no industry-wide technical
        solution to this problem, and Yahoo! Groups is not always able to
        prevent email spoofers from posing as group members. --

        "If your Email account's "Sent items" folder indicates that mail
        was sent to Yahoo! Groups without your intention or knowledge,
        your account may have been hacked."

        Unquote

        If you read this quote from the webpage above, yahoo Ince
        explained a very easy way to tell if your email account
        was "hacked" .

        (I'm embarrassed I didn't think of this myself.)

        99% of the time these spam messages to yahoo groups
        are the result of a harmless spoof, intended to
        annoy and confuse people like us into wasting time
        taking unneccessary, additional, precautions.

        Most of the time spammers only do this once or twice and
        confused users then assume changing their password
        has solved the problem.

        Check with these people if you have questions about
        moderating a yahoo group.

        Bill Zardus
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WingedFriends/

        --- In tucson-dogs@yahoogroups.com, Marcie Velen <MajaV@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Linda- Yes, this is second time- i think it is probably the same bug,
        but i cant find and delete it. I will keep trying! I might have to change my
        email as I have heard has happened to others.

        > Marcie

      • lfousse2
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
          My apologies for the spam messages that recently managed to get through our filters. We have made some additional adjustments so hopefully you won't get hit again. Two paws down on junk/inappropriate postings! :p

          Has anyone taken their dogs up into the mountains to play in the snow? Joxer really enjoyed running in snow with the huskies!

          Linda / Joxermom
        • Eve Parris
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
            I'm not much for snow but I found a very wide wash on the north side that was fun to walk.

            It's actually a flood zone area with several smaller washes which are parallel to and criss-crossing each other. I entered it off Oracle/77 just north of Rancho Vistoso Road and that Sun City sub-division. The wash is actually called "Big Wash." It's west of Oracle and is bordered on the west by more subdivision homes but you are down low in the wash so you don't notice them. There are beautiful tall walls here and there caused by water erosion and lots of sandy walking area.

            There's a path called "27 Mile Trail" and there's a legitimate trail head with three parking spots at the southwest "L" of "N Big Wash Overlook Place." (see map) That street is only a block long so you can Google "N Big Wash Overlook Place" and find it easily.

            From there we just dropped down into the wash and headed North for a bit.
            Tip: Try to mark the spot where you entered the wash to minimize the chance of not being able to find it on your way back!

            Up the wash North of that area - after the subdivision ends - there's tons of open area. I'm sure you could drive a little farther North on Oracle and find some other way to bush-whack west down into the wash because it meanders parallel to Oracle all the way to Oracle Junction. <g> If you hang a left and walk west for a while you can visit the Tortilitas.

            I mention this particular place only because it is the Southern-most place I found to get down into the wash.
            Eve