ELT in Japan Issue 2 (March 2010)

  • literacyacrosscultures
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
      ELT-J Issue #2 (March 2010)

      http://eltinjapan.blogspot.com/2010/03/elt-j-issue-2-march-2010.html

      ELT in Japan Issue 2 (March 2010)

      Contents
      (1) Devising multiple-choice questions, quizzes and tests
      (2) Semantic mapping activities for the speaking class
      (3) Semantic mapping activities for the writing class

      Issue #3 will appear in May-June this year and will include the article on English pronunciation (l, r), which had been scheduled for issue #2 but didn't make the cut-off.

      Charles Jannuzi
      University of Fukui, Japan
      http://eltinjapan.blogspot.com/
    • Tharindu Dhanushka
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
        Hello,

        Does anyone know a coursebook or somewhere I can find some materials to use in a Pre-Intermediate adult conversation class. I've been googling for ages with no much luck and I had to prepare materials myself for last the 3 weeks and I am getting rather tired of it cuz I am not considering career in material writing and my school is being unhelpful in this matter.

        Thanks in advance

        Tharindu

      • Mark Powell
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
          Hi Tharindu

          Depends what you mean by 'conversation class', I guess.

          If you're basically looking for a multi-syllabus coursebook, but with a strong focus on speaking and task-based learning, then Vicki Hollet's and Norman Whitby's new course, Lifestyle (Longman) looks like it could be well worth checking out. The first level is at pre-intermediate and it successfully plugs the gap between General English and English for Work.

          If you fancy something quirkier with a lot of conversation strategies, idiomatic fixed expressions and some very funny dialogues, then I've always liked Ron Martinez's Converstion Lessons (Cengage).

          If it's discussion topics you're after, you'll find some very non-standard ones in Taboos and Issues (Cengage), also co-authored by Ron Martinez.

          If that sounds a bit too risky for your group, then you could try tracking down a copy of Gertrude Moskowitz's classic Caring and Sharing in the Foreign Language Classroom (Newbury House Publishers). Not sure if this one's still in print, but it's a huge bank of humanistic conversation activities.

          And if you'd like to supplement your coursebook with something more learner-centric, then take a look at Luke Meddings's and Scott Thronbury's teaching Unplugged (DELTA Publishing) - this is a really provocative methodology book with an interesting resource section which focuses mostly on conversation activites generated by the learners,

          Hope this helps.

          Good Luck!

          Mark

          Does anyone know a coursebook or somewhere I can find some materials to use in a Pre-Intermediate adult conversation class. I've been googling for ages with no much luck and I had to prepare materials myself for last the 3 weeks and I am getting rather tired of it cuz I am not considering career in material writing and my school is being unhelpful in this matter.

          Thanks in advance

          Tharindu

        • jomango274
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
            I love Creating Conversations in Class by Chris Sion (DELTA).

            Johanna

            Johanna Stirling
            Refresh yourself in the English Language Garden
            www.elgweb.net
            The Spelling Blog - English spelling: learn it, teach it, love it!
            http://thespellingblog.blogspot.com

            --- In ttedsig@yahoogroups.com, Tharindu Dhanushka <tharinduvirgin@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Does anyone know a coursebook or somewhere I can find some materials to use in a Pre-Intermediate adult conversation class. I've been googling for ages with no much luck and I had to prepare materials myself for last the 3 weeks and I am getting rather tired of it cuz I am not considering career in material writing and my school is being unhelpful in this matter.
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            >
            > Tharindu

          • Caroline
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2010
              Thanks to Tharindu for asking and Johanna for the suggestion. Just what I
              was looking for!
              Caroline

              Los datos personales que pueden constar en esta documentación estan
              incorporados a un fichero titularidad a Aljarafe English s.l.. Su
              finalidad es facilitar la prestación de nuestros servicios profesionales.
              Si desea ejercitar los derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación u
              oposición, puede dirigirse por escrito o por correo electrónico a la
              dirección arriba indicada. Este correo electrónico contiene INFORMACIÓN
              CONFIDENCIAL, CUYA DIVULGACION ESTA PROHIBIDA. Si por error usted no fuera
              el destinatario le rogamos nos lo comunique al telefono 954 151 608, sin
              difundir, almacenar o copiar su contenido.

              > > > I love Creating Conversations in Class by Chris Sion (DELTA).
              > > Johanna
              > > Johanna Stirling
              > Refresh yourself in the English Language Garden
              > www.elgweb.net
              > The Spelling Blog - English spelling: learn it, teach it, love it!
              > http://thespellingblog.blogspot.com
              > > --- In ttedsig@yahoogroups.com, Tharindu Dhanushka <tharinduvirgin@...>
              > wrote:
              >>

              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> Does anyone know a coursebook or somewhere I can find some materials to
              >> use in a Pre-Intermediate adult conversation class. I've been googling
              >> for ages with no much luck and I had to prepare materials myself for
              >> last the 3 weeks and I am getting rather tired of it cuz I am not
              >> considering career in material writing and my school is being unhelpful
              >> in this matter.
              >>
              >> Thanks in advance
              >>
              >> Tharindu

            • Simon Andrewes
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2010
                I used to like Conversational Gambits though I have not seen it for some time
                Simon

                I love Creating Conversations in Class by Chris Sion (DELTA).

                Johanna

                Johanna Stirling

                Refresh yourself in the English Language Garden

                www.elgweb.net

                The Spelling Blog - English spelling: learn it, teach it, love it!

                http://thespellingb log.blogspot. com

                --- In ttedsig@yahoogroups .com, Tharindu Dhanushka <tharinduvirgin@ ...> wrote:

                > Hello,

                > Does anyone know a coursebook or somewhere I can find some materials to use in a Pre-Intermediate adult conversation class. I've been googling for ages with no much luck and I had to prepare materials myself for last the 3 weeks and I am getting rather tired of it cuz I am not considering career in material writing and my school is being unhelpful in this matter.

                > Thanks in advance

                > Tharindu

              • Russ Taylor
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Keep Talking by Friederike Klippel subtitled 'Communicative fluency activities for language teaching' from the Cambridge Handbooks for Language Teachers, series edited by Penny Ur ISBN 0-521-27871-6

                  Russ Taylor

                  From: jomango274 <johanna.stirling@ gmail.com>

                  To: ttedsig@yahoogroups .com

                  Date: Tuesday, 30 March, 2010, 16:45

                  I love Creating Conversations in Class by Chris Sion (DELTA).

                  Johanna

                  Johanna Stirling

                  Refresh yourself in the English Language Garden

                  www.elgweb.net

                  The Spelling Blog - English spelling: learn it, teach it, love it!

                  http://thespellingb log.blogspot. com

                  --- In ttedsig@yahoogroups .com, Tharindu Dhanushka <tharinduvirgin@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hello,

                  > Does anyone know a coursebook or somewhere I can find some materials to use in a Pre-Intermediate adult conversation class. I've been googling for ages with no much luck and I had to prepare materials myself for last the 3 weeks and I am getting rather tired of it cuz I am not considering career in material writing and my school is being unhelpful in this matter.

                  > Thanks in advance

                  > Tharindu

                • Evan Frendo
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 12, 2010
                    Hi Tharindu

                    Dialogue Activities (Nick Billbrough), also Cambridge Handbooks for Language
                    Teachers, has some very nice ideas too

                    Evan Frendo

                    Visit my blog at http://englishfortheworkplace.blogspot.com/