The Belief Wars: Divide and Conquer

  • peter6264
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2007
      The Dire Straits Diaries - Part Two
      The Belief Wars: Divide and Conquer
      By Diane Harvey

      So many of us are feeling reduced to quietly observing the
      exponentially explosive chain reaction of mass insanity with
      increasingly heavy hearts. The dank fog of fear surrounding all forms
      of protest has already succeeded in muffling the voices of a number
      of previously enthusiastic activists. This sudden social climate
      change signifies the onset of a chilling nuclear winter rapidly
      overtaking the land of the free and the home of the brave .

      Overnight, we find ourselves merely free to agree, or be seen as
      traitors to a simpleminded and heavy-handed national cause. Yet
      nothing in this unfolding sequence of mindless reactions-at-large is
      particularly surprising. For all those who are reasonably free of
      mass cultural programming, it is easy to understand that this global
      nightmare has been long in the making, and has a terrible
      inevitability about it. Considering humanity s past, and considering
      humanity s collective level of awareness: what else could have
      happened? And at the same time we know that, in another way, the
      world madness in progress has been resolutely conjured out of thin
      air. The predicament we find ourselves in exists for no other reason
      than that the human race has been deliberately conditioned to just
      such an end.

      We are witnessing the gruesome culmination of generations of
      carefully applied external manipulations, focused on shaping our
      emotional reactions to our belief systems. Belief is the most easily
      harnessed energy in the human mechanism, and until we begin to see
      who manipulates our deepest beliefs, and why, we are silly putty in
      the hands of darkness. Generation after generation, those whose
      business it is to retard human evolution bring to bear the most
      powerful and subtle forces of social engineering on us all, from
      birth onwards. As a result, most human beings reach adulthood having
      internalizing unquestioned belief in the superiority of their own
      version of disparate political systems, religions, tribes, races, and
      nations. This constitutes a deliberately fabricated schism at the
      basic level of human existence. And from this fundamental lever,
      applied at the deepest point of human life, all manner of evil
      stealthily arises and invisibly stretches forth its tentacles.

      We are hypnotized from birth into accepting interminable variations
      on a stunningly simple lie. From this single twisted misconception,
      entire worlds of complicated evil grow. On every level, from the
      personal to the national to the international, this same basic error
      invests human emotion and thought: If I am right, then you are wrong.
      If my way is right, then your way is wrong. If my religion is true,
      then yours is false. My country is good; therefore yours is bad.
      Mankind is being carefully kept on this crudest level of
      misunderstanding about the nature of reality, and of belief itself.
      Just as the physical landscape of the planet derives its beauty from
      exquisite variation, so does the human race. Monoculture on any level
      is a false stasis and leads directly to disease and death. The health
      of nature depends on and delights in endless variations on basic
      themes, and this is as true in human nature as it is in the other
      kingdoms. It is no accident that almost all people are raised to view
      the natural proliferation of differences as threatening and hateful.
      There is endless profit to be made from causing such a fatal lie to
      take root in the consciousness of the human race. Divide us at the
      core, indoctrinate us into fearing the most wonderful quality we have
      to offer, and you have a juicy species traumatized at the very heart
      of itself, and therefore ripe for endlessly repeated plucking.

      The human race has been here for quite some time now, scattered
      across the surface of our beautifully balanced whirling top. And all
      along, carried on the back of this enigmatic sphere, cycling
      majestically through the empyrean, we ve been looking around and
      thinking it over. In doing so, an astonishing variety of ideas and
      beliefs about what all this means have arisen and flourished
      throughout human history. This is a fact. And the sheer number of
      vastly different human belief systems tells us something crucial. It
      tells us that almost everyone believes in some kind of invisible
      power behind the material scenery. To stretch out our minds beyond
      our small selves, to reach toward a greater truth, and to form
      beliefs about all this is as natural to us as breathing. Hardwired
      into the human brain is the necessity to search for greater truth.
      And this is why it is the nature of belief itself that has been
      methodically used to manipulate us into endless divisiveness, hatred
      and wars. Belief is the foundation of life for the majority of the
      human race, no matter what forms it may take.

      And that s it. That is nearly all we have completely in common as far
      as our personal political, ethical, existential, religious and
      spiritual convictions go. We mostly agree that the Creator and/or the
      Creation is good, and that we humans didn t create ourselves, or the
      planets, or the solar system, or the billions of galaxies receding
      into infinity all around us. We agree, as a species, on little else
      when it comes to the details of anything at all, let alone religion
      and the higher realities. This is the basic fact of our lives. The
      great secret of the human race is that we contain the seeds of divine
      powers, and this is what threatens the forces of darkness in the
      universe. Our evolution in consciousness has been forcibly derailed
      and detained, time and again, throughout our history. And now we have
      reached the point where our inability to thrive on differences,
      combined with technological weapons of mass destruction, has led us
      to the outskirts of annihilation. We needed to become far more
      conscious than we are, and now we are stuck with facing physical,
      emotional and mental chaos devoid of sufficient collective awareness
      to deal with it wisely. Each of us at the very least has a slightly
      different perspective on reality, and at most, we may disagree about
      everything. But that we should experience this as a problem requiring
      mutual murder has been an idea cunningly and successfully nurtured in
      order to prevent us from understanding our essential unity. Because
      if we experienced the spiritual fact of our basic unity in any large
      numbers, then and there the long reign of the forces of darkness on
      this planet would come to an abrupt end. Only by the ancient method
      of divide and conquer can we be prevented from entering into the
      awareness of our spiritual destiny.

      So here we are. We are actually capable of imagining ourselves to be
      grownups, even as we kill each other more and more cleverly and in
      larger and larger numbers. We indulge ourselves in boastful and
      deadly inter-species primate displays, brandishing banners of low-
      grade rhetoric. The human mouthpieces of the various types of
      insanity manifesting on earth right now all act as if vainglorious
      language can disguise the ridiculously primitive level of our
      behavior. Perhaps nowhere is this so excruciatingly, tragically
      absurd than in our ability to use our various religions as a weapon
      against others. We do not listen even to common sense in this regard,
      let alone higher wisdom. We have allowed ourselves to be manipulated
      into accepting endless religious strife as some sort of naturally
      occurring event. Yet we have been blessed from the beginning with the
      limitless gift of individualization, and are not a hive, a flock or a
      herd in complete thrall to a mass shared mind. This treasured
      invaluable individuality allows for each human being to exist as a
      separate and potentially free agent. And even so, despite the obvious
      relation between freedom and inevitable differentiation, we still
      Hate for God s Sake. Nothing ever was or ever will be more pitiably
      absurd than this fundamental folly. Oh, but it is so very profitable
      to those who feed off the subjective unconscious energies of the
      human race. And they will do everything inhumanly possible to enforce
      our continued passionate adherence to this most powerful of all

      Therefore our little planet here is temporarily boiling over again
      with heated-up bipeds waving the black magic wand of pointless mass
      death. To the funeral march of hysterical sloganeering, all over the
      world, forces are waving bits of cloth and chanting death mantras
      before the maddened bull of mass consciousness. The unthinking levels
      of reactionary patriotism and religion have begun to break out
      uncontrollably. What do those who love humanity and wish it well do
      at a time like this? We can only try to point out that when humanity
      suffers, there are those behind the scenes who always reap the
      benefit. We know something about who is really going to profit from
      this chaos: out of the present carnage, there are great fortunes to
      be made and delicious worldly powers of many kinds to be

      It s not only religion, of course, that inspires the worst of our
      behavior towards one another. Any belief system will serve to
      galvanize the ego into despising others. No matter what combination
      of beliefs anyone has, about anything at all, these will serve as a
      basis for loathing others of unlike mind. What this says about us is
      that we are still so childish we can t face the obvious: which is
      that our personal belief system is not the beginning and end of
      universal realities. This fact is more threatening and deranging to
      undeveloped human spirits than any other. We fearfully imagine we
      will lose our minds and souls merely by recognizing that belief is
      somewhat personal and somewhat limited, like everything else we have,
      are, and do. It takes serious and sustained effort these days not to
      become at least mildly acquainted with a large number of people
      outside our own little personal worlds. And it is becoming
      exceedingly hard to ignore the fact that there are likable and
      interesting people adhering to belief systems other than one s own.
      Likewise, within our own chosen belief-circle, we will no doubt
      notice a certain number of unpleasant, underdeveloped humans. This is
      just the way it is. Yet as long as we are capable of caring first
      about the belief system, and only secondarily about the quality of
      the human being, we are being divided and conquered by the forces of
      hate and darkness.

      These interminable human belief wars are deliberately created and
      sustained, dutifully serving a very dark purpose for those who wish
      to control this planet and keep stupefied all who live here. So long
      as we are easily diverted into religious wars, and endless struggles
      for other types of internecine belief-supremacy, we will not be
      noticing who is causing and fomenting all this behind the scenes of
      our earthly institutions. We won t be observing who benefits from all
      this directed hate and mayhem. We won t be tearing the veil away to
      take note of what groups and what forces are promoting and
      encouraging human divisiveness. While we are busy, nicely distracted
      into loathing one another wholesale, in the name of God and of all
      our other basic beliefs, the forces of global totalitarianism sit
      back and smile. They believe in nothing at all, except the single
      goal of our standardization, degradation, and enslavement. They are
      undivided. They have no other aim except the domination of the human
      species, and to quench all sparks of individual freedom once and for
      all. And their genius is in using religious differences, economic
      differences, political differences, and social, cultural, and
      national differences for their own ends. Their technique is to strike
      these discordant notes whenever possible, and to amplify each sour
      chord until hapless humans mechanically dance in mass step to their
      orchestrated tunes. They are experts at slyly manipulating and
      encouraging us to hate each other, in every possible way, while they
      are quietly, secretly and openly, dismembering the human race and
      feasting on the twitching remains.

      The ultimate cause of war framed as a religious activity is the
      absence of the awareness of God in the heart of the human race. The
      primary tool of terrorism per se is the near-ubiquitous presence in
      human hearts and minds of the abysmal force of hatred. This
      perpetuates itself through the self-righteous, self-justifying
      cooperation, to one degree or another, of the majority of human
      beings. Once these forces of accumulated hatred erupt, and physical
      warfare is set in motion, the unfolding battle is inevitably,
      obviously, difficult to bring to a halt. People caught up in the
      immediate physical struggle to survive have little leisure for or
      interest in contemplating the deeper origins of their situation. Yet
      whoever is not thrust into such a brutal level does have the time and
      responsibility to consider the deeper meanings of our collective
      predicament. While outward battles rage, each of us more or less on
      the sidelines might do well to ask of our own conscience whether or
      not we are contributing in the slightest way to the vast general pool
      of human hatred. There will never be any real freedom or peace on
      earth without such painfully honest self-questioning. Because, in
      reality, there are very few of us who are not at least occasionally
      puppets in the hands of hate. Most of us are still aggressively angry
      at times, and quite enjoy that hot little surge of accompanying hate.

      Technically therefore, almost all of us perpetuate some degree of
      emotional or mental terrorism against others, even if well within the
      dismally low standards of socially acceptable limits. And the ones
      who deny this with the greatest fanfare of self-righteous anger are,
      of course, the worst offenders. God is Love. There is no getting
      around this highest truth. We can and do lie to ourselves and to
      others about the real names of the forces we allow to run rampant now
      and again through our beings. But the truth of God as the embodiment
      of impersonal Love remains forever unmoved by our fear of it. And
      eventually, if we have the spiritual courage to let it, this truth
      may set us free. Since impersonal and all-encompassing Divine Love is
      the only reality that can ever unite the disparate little paths of
      human beings, the human species is facing a starkly clear choice.
      Either figure out what it means to love one another, or die.