Re: More on the Maryland tornado

  • wendyjensen1116
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      --- In tt-watch@y..., "larrythecat32533" <pas011077@a...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I'm new to the group. As luck would have it, I had the Weather
      > Channel on just as they started the reporting on the Maryland
      > tornado. One of the reporters there said this was the first time
      an
      > F-5 had hit east of the Appalacians.

      Now that sounds more reasonable to me. I study disasters, and I've
      never heard of an F5 hitting in that area. It's strange how the
      different news reports report different things. You'd think the news
      reporters would do some research before writing an article.

      Of course, per the previous discussion of inaccurate/skewed data, it
      is possible an F5 has hit in that area, and just not been recorded as
      such.

      Wendy Jensen
      www.wendyjensen.com
    • Clipper Ordiway
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2002
        Of course, per the previous discussion of inaccurate/skewed data, it
        is possible an F5 has hit in that area, and just not been recorded as
        such.

        Wendy Jensen
        www.wendyjensen.com

        My ex and two sons live in Maryland. Recieved an email this morning from
        my oldest son about the damage done there and thought I would pass it along.

        Clipper

        =====================

        Here's some photos I've put online from the tornado. This place is about 35
        miles north of us.

        http://www.tqci.net/~freedom/huntingbrothers/tornado.html ) Use IE,
        Netscrap screws the page up)

        Chris.

        "Nothing good can ever come of staying with normal people."

      • Michael L Cunningham
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2002
          At 09:28 AM 5/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
          >Of course, per the previous discussion of inaccurate/skewed data, it
          >is possible an F5 has hit in that area, and just not been recorded as
          >such.
          >
          >Wendy Jensen
          >www.wendyjensen.com
          >

          > My ex and two sons live in Maryland. Recieved an email this morning from
          >my oldest son about the damage done there and thought I would pass it along.
          >
          >Clipper
          >
          >=====================
          >

          >Here's some photos I've put online from the tornado. This place is about 35
          >miles north of us.
          >
          >http://www.tqci.net/~freedom/huntingbrothers/tornado.html ) Use IE,
          >Netscrap screws the page up)
          >
          >Chris.
          >
          >"Nothing good can ever come of staying with normal people."

          Thanks for the links to the images Clipper!

          From seeing the pictures, the storm (luckily) was a short duration F5. I only
          saw evidence of class F5 destruction in three images and the rest were at
          F3 with one at F4 level. From the funnel images it appears to have been around
          a quarter mile wide and wasn't a classic wedge, multi vortex tornado.
          Considering the terrain, the local residents were lucky it didn't develop
          further.

          I miss my storm chasing days! Damn California weather is boring as hell!

          Michael L. Cunningham
          So Cal SleeperS - 2001 Grand AM GT
          e-mail bogeystar@...
          web site http://home.earthlink.net/~bogeystar/

          Remembering the World Trade Center Massacre
          Sept. 11, 2001

          Cry Havoc! ...and let slip the dogs of war!

          Visit the LX50 Web Site and join in our Discussion Forum!

          "There are two infinite things: universe and human stupidity.
          And I'm not sure of the former".
          Albert.