Re: [tt-gossip] Re: Posting guidelines and list rules

  • Nancy Lieder
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2000
      Bill Glenn wrote:

      > When Nancy says one of TT-Welcome's roles is to deal with TRUE PANIC,
      > what exactly does this mean? Does this mean directing them to
      > information pertaining to survival or does it mean providing emotional
      > help?

      The first thing to be done with a person in a panic state is get them OUT of
      that state, as all they are doing is running, screaming, and thinking of
      themselves. Yell "fire!" in a crowded theatre and you have that reaction.
      Nothing good happens, to them or those around them and certainly not for
      those they are responsible for. What I meant by this is:

      1. expect you will get people with a raw edge of panic
      just under the surface, demanding, loud mouthed, and
      most likely NOT having read any of TT or ZT. They
      will be afraid, because of what they are observing
      around them and the accuracy of ZetaTalk. They will
      want denial and may be challenging so as to dull and
      discredit the message.

      2. to get them OUT of a panic state, tell them (point them to)
      what to DO about it. Then their panic turns to action.
      The TOPICs on TT about safe places, safety tips, distill
      water, eat bugs, check lists, etc. Once they start reading
      and thinking about it all, you've got them moving in the
      right direction.

      3. be aware that some people may not be able to get to a safe
      place or care for themselves afterwards (be a severe diabetic)
      and may be realizing that they will die. This is where we're
      heading anyway, no different than life anyway, and no different
      than life 100 years ago really, so in this case just stating this
      and saying that these matters are out of your hands (which of
      course they ARE) is all that can be done.

      > If TT-Welcome does not serve only an administrative function answering
      > questions such as the one Smitty just mentioned, but also delves into
      > personal affairs/ chit-chat/ story swapping/ opinions, counseling then
      > it is not responsible.

      The hard working moderators who greet the newcomers will need to be able to
      deal with them as best they can. What is a moderator to do if someone
      refuses to be pointed to the TT TOPICs that explain what steps they should
      take, or how to look at/for the 12th Planet, and instead are trying to force
      the moderators to state that it is all a hoax or something, as they desire
      denial and are in a panic state? The moderator may need to tell their own
      story, how they came to the point they are at, deciding to DO something
      about it and not deny! We need to allow them to do their job.
    • DrPostman
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 29, 2003
        --- In tt-watch@yahoogroups.com, "yaaada" <yaaada@h...> wrote:
        > Which was so juvenile that it made me laugh out loud. Did it
        actually
        > *bother* you??

        I laughed as well. I especially laughed at his "I know who you
        are on Usenet, who are you on Usenet?" (not the actual words but
        close) comments in the same post. (Was I the only one to spot
        the irony of that?)

        He was manipulated just as much as he tried to manipulate me. On
        Usenet I would have flamed back and given a lot better, but I don't
        want to do that here. Actually, on sci.astro he felt the heat so bad
        he left.

        Jamie