No More Fear!

  • Istari
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      Happy New Year everybody. Hope no-one has a hangover this morning
      like I do ;) This new, fresh year we've now entered...let us be done
      with manipulated fear...and instead focus on happiness, confidence &
      love. Let us be thankful for the gift of life we all share :-)

      No more nasty politicians playing us for fools!! We deserve better
      folks...in fact we deserve only the best.

      Fw: Thom Hartmann's Newsletter - The Power of Nighmares
      Happy New Year, war is over!
      (John Lennon)

      Hyping Terror For Fun, Profit - And Power
      by Thom Hartmann

      What if there really was no need for much - or even most - of the
      Cold War? What if, in fact, the Cold War had been kept alive for two
      decades based on phony WMD threats?

      What if, similarly, the War On Terror was largely a scam, and the
      administration was hyping it to seem larger-than-life? What if
      our "enemy" represented a real but relatively small threat posed by
      rogue and criminal groups well outside the mainstream of Islam? What
      if that hype was done largely to enhance the power, electability,
      and stature of George W. Bush and Tony Blair?

      And what if the world was to discover the most shocking dimensions
      of these twin deceits - that the same men promulgated them in the
      1970s and today?

      It happened.

      The myth-shattering event took place in England the first three
      weeks of October, when the BBC aired a three-hour documentary
      written and produced by Adam Curtis, titled "The Power of
      Nightmares." If the emails and phone calls many of us in the US
      received from friends in the UK - and debate in the pages of
      publications like The Guardian are any indicator, this was a seismic
      event, one that may have even provoked a hasty meeting between Blair
      and Bush a few weeks later.

      According to this carefully researched and well-vetted BBC
      documentary, Richard Nixon, following in the steps of his mentor and
      former boss Dwight D. Eisenhower, believed it was possible to end
      the Cold War and eliminate fear from the national psyche. The nation
      need no longer be afraid of communism or the Soviet Union. Nixon
      worked out a truce with the Soviets, meeting their demands for
      safety as well as the US needs for security, and then announced to
      Americans that they need no longer be afraid.

      In 1972, President Richard Nixon returned from the Soviet Union with
      a treaty worked out by Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, the
      beginning of a process Kissinger called "détente." On June 1, 1972,
      Nixon gave a speech in which he said, "Last Friday, in Moscow, we
      witnessed the beginning of the end of that era which began in 1945.
      With this step, we have enhanced the security of both nations. We
      have begun to reduce the level of fear, by reducing the causes of
      fear-for our two peoples, and for all peoples in the world."

      But Nixon left amid scandal and Ford came in, and Ford's Secretary
      of Defense (Donald Rumsfeld) and Chief of Staff (Dick Cheney)
      believed it was intolerable that Americans might no longer be bound
      by fear. Without fear, how could Americans be manipulated?

      Rumsfeld and Cheney began a concerted effort - first secretly and
      then openly - to undermine Nixon's treaty for peace and to rebuild
      the state of fear and, thus, reinstate the Cold War.

      And these two men - 1974 Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Ford
      Chief of Staff Dick Cheney - did this by claiming that the Soviets
      had secret weapons of mass destruction that the president didn't
      know about, that the CIA didn't know about, that nobody but them
      knew about. And, they said, because of those weapons, the US must
      redirect billions of dollars away from domestic programs and instead
      give the money to defense contractors for whom these two men would
      one day work.

      "The Soviet Union has been busy," Defense Secretary Rumsfeld
      explained to America in 1976. "They've been busy in terms of their
      level of effort; they've been busy in terms of the actual weapons
      they 've been producing; they've been busy in terms of expanding
      production rates; they've been busy in terms of expanding their
      institutional capability to produce additional weapons at additional
      rates; they've been busy in terms of expanding their capability to
      increasingly improve the sophistication of those weapons. Year after
      year after year, they've been demonstrating that they have
      steadiness of purpose. They're purposeful about what they're doing."

      The CIA strongly disagreed, calling Rumsfeld's position a "complete
      fiction" and pointing out that the Soviet Union was disintegrating
      from within, could barely afford to feed their own people, and would
      collapse within a decade or two if simply left alone.

      But Rumsfeld and Cheney wanted Americans to believe there was
      something nefarious going on, something we should be very afraid of.
      To this end, they convinced President Ford to appoint a commission
      including their old friend Paul Wolfowitz to prove that the Soviets
      were up to no good.

      According to Curtis' BBC documentary, Wolfowitz's group, known
      as "Team B," came to the conclusion that the Soviets had developed
      several terrifying new weapons of mass destruction, featuring a
      nuclear-armed submarine fleet that used a sonar system that didn't
      depend on sound and was, thus, undetectable with our current

      The BBC's documentarians asked Dr. Anne Cahn of the U.S. Arms
      Control and Disarmament Agency during that time, her thoughts on
      Rumsfeld's, Cheney's, and Wolfowitz's 1976 story of the secret
      Soviet WMDs. Here's a clip from a transcript of that BBC documentary:

      " Dr ANNE CAHN, Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, 1977-80: They
      couldn't say that the Soviets had acoustic means of picking up
      American submarines, because they couldn't find it. So they said,
      well maybe they have a non-acoustic means of making our submarine
      fleet vulnerable. But there was no evidence that they had a non-
      acoustic system. They're saying, 'we can't find evidence that
      they're doing it the way that everyone thinks they're doing it, so
      they must be doing it a different way. We don't know what that
      different way is, but they must be doing it.'

      "INTERVIEWER (off-camera): Even though there was no evidence.

      "CAHN: Even though there was no evidence.

      "INTERVIEWER: So they're saying there, that the fact that the
      weapon doesn't exist.

      "CAHN: Doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It just means that we
      haven't found it."

      The moderator of the BBC documentary then notes:

      " What Team B accused the CIA of missing was a hidden and sinister
      reality in the Soviet Union. Not only were there many secret weapons
      the CIA hadn't found, but they were wrong about many of those they
      could observe, such as the Soviet air defenses. The CIA were
      convinced that these were in a state of collapse, reflecting the
      growing economic chaos in the Soviet Union. Team B said that this
      was actually a cunning deception by the Soviet régime. The air-
      defense system worked perfectly. But the only evidence they produced
      to prove this was the official Soviet training manual, which proudly
      asserted that their air-defense system was fully integrated and
      functioned flawlessly. The CIA accused Team B of moving into a
      fantasy world."

      Nonetheless, as Melvin Goodman, head of the CIA's Office of Soviet
      Affairs, 1976-87, noted in the BBC documentary,

      " Rumsfeld won that very intense, intense political battle that
      was waged in Washington in 1975 and 1976. Now, as part of that
      battle, Rumsfeld and others, people such as Paul Wolfowitz, wanted
      to get into the CIA. And their mission was to create a much more
      severe view of the Soviet Union, Soviet intentions, Soviet views
      about fighting and winning a nuclear war."

      Although Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld's assertions of powerful new Soviet
      WMDs were unproven - they said the lack of proof proved that
      undetectable weapons existed - they nonetheless used their charges
      to push for dramatic escalations in military spending to selected
      defense contractors, a process that continued through the Reagan

      But, trillions of dollars and years later, it was proven that they
      had been wrong all along, and the CIA had been right. Rumsfeld,
      Cheney, and Wolfowitz lied to America in the 1970s about Soviet WMDs.

      Not only do we now know that the Soviets didn't have any new and
      impressive WMDs, but we also now know that they were, in fact,
      decaying from within, ripe for collapse any time, regardless of what
      the US did - just as the CIA (and anybody who visited Soviet states -
      as I had - during that time could easily predict). The Soviet
      economic and political system wasn't working, and their military was

      As arms-control expert Cahn noted in the documentary of those 1970s
      claims by Wolfowitz, Cheney, and Rumsfeld:

      "I would say that all of it was fantasy. I mean, they looked at
      radars out in Krasnoyarsk and said, 'This is a laser beam weapon,'
      when in fact it was nothing of the sort. ... And if you go through
      most of Team B's specific allegations about weapons systems, and you
      just examine them one by one, they were all wrong."

      "INTERVIEWER: All of them?

      "CAHN: All of them.

      "INTERVIEWER: Nothing true?

      "CAHN: I don't believe anything in [Wolfowitz's 1977] Team B was
      really true."

      But the neocons said it was true, and organized a group - The
      Committee on the Present Danger - to promote their worldview. The
      Committee produced documentaries, publications, and provided guests
      for national talk shows and news reports. They worked hard to whip
      up fear and encourage increases in defense spending, particularly
      for sophisticated weapons systems offered by the defense contractors
      for whom neocons would later become lobbyists.

      And they succeeded in recreating an atmosphere of fear in the United
      States, and making themselves and their defense contractor friends
      richer than most of the kingdoms of the world.

      The Cold War was good for business, and good for the political power
      of its advocates, from Rumsfeld to Reagan.

      Similarly, according to this documentary, the War On Terror is the
      same sort of scam, run for many of the same reasons, by the same
      people. And by hyping it - and then invading Iraq - we may well be
      bringing into reality terrors and forces that previously existed
      only on the margins and with very little power to harm us.

      Curtis' documentary suggests that the War On Terror is just as much
      a fiction as were the super-WMDs this same group of neocons said the
      Soviets had in the 70s. He suggests we've done more to create terror
      than to fight it. That the risk was really quite minimal (at least
      until we invaded Iraq), and the terrorists are - like most terrorist
      groups - simply people on the fringes, rather easily dispatched by
      their own people. He even points out that Al Qaeda itself was a
      brand we invented, later adopted by bin Laden because we'd put so
      many millions into creating worldwide name recognition for it.

      Watching "The Terror of Nightmares" is like taking the Red Pill in
      the movie The Matrix.

      It's the story of idealism gone wrong, of ideologies promoted in the
      US by Leo Strauss and his followers (principally Wolfowitz, Feith,
      and Pearle), and in the Muslim world by bin Laden's mentor, Ayman
      Zawahiri. Both sought to create a utopian world through world
      domination; both believe that the ends justify the means; both are
      convinced that "the people" must be frightened into embracing
      religion and nationalism for the greater good of morality and a
      stable state. Each needs the other in order to hold power.

      Whatever your plans are for tonight or tomorrow, clip three hours
      out of them and take the Red Pill. Get a pair of headphones (the
      audio is faint), plug them into your computer, and visit an
      unofficial archive of the Curtis' BBC documentary at the Information
      Clearing House website. (The first hour of the program, in a more
      viewable format, is also available here.)

      For those who prefer to read things online, an unofficial but
      complete transcript is on this Belgian site.

      But be forewarned: You'll never see political reality - and
      certainly never hear the words of the Bush or Blair administrations -
      the same again.

      Thom Hartmann (thom at thomhartmann.com) is a Project Censored Award-
      winning best-selling author and host of a nationally syndicated
      daily progressive talk show. www.thomhartmann.com His most recent
      books are "The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight," "Unequal
      Protection," "We The People," The Edison Gene, and "What Would
      Jefferson Do?."

      To be removed from this mailing visit:
    • Jack Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In tt-watch@yahoogroups.com, "Istari" <ianrobertson5@b...> wrote:
        > Happy New Year everybody. Hope no-one has a hangover this morning
        > like I do ;) This new, fresh year we've now entered...let us be
        > with manipulated fear...and instead focus on happiness, confidence
        > love. Let us be thankful for the gift of life we all share :-)
        > No more nasty politicians playing us for fools!! We deserve better
        > folks...in fact we deserve only the best.
        > Istari

        you get your courage up enough to start throwing firebombs at The
        Man, and I'll be right there beside you.