Re: Hopeful Preservation of Astronomical Resources

  • DrPostman
    Message 1 of 89 , Sep 3 12:24 PM
      --- In tt-watch@yahoogroups.com, v m <vandluce@y...> wrote:
      > Openminded,
      > are your RH 'scopes going to be alright? It slowed, may mean more
      rain, path may "wobble," who really knows where it will hit in north
      central Florida but flooding is expected if it remains slow. Your
      domes will hold right/no leaks? How about the radio telescopes out
      north of Cedar Key area and that amateur group, the Chiefland
      Astronomical Society for that matter. Someone there has a 30-38" (?)
      telescope I saw (vs. got to view from, oh well) when I visited once.

      I imagine he has evacuated by now, and we won't hear
      from him for a few days. I am praying that it keeps
      reducing in intensity but they think it may heat up.
      Either way the East coast of Florida is going to get
      a heck of a lot of rain.

      > Here's a nice stitched pic including Hurricane Alley:
      > http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/global.cgi

      Nice website. I bookmarked it.

      > this one will never work i cant imagine--->
      > http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/display10.cgi?
      SIZE=full&PHOT=yes&AREA=global/stitched&PROD=ir&TYPE=ssmi&NAV=global&D
      ISPLAY=Latest&ARCHIVE=Latest&CGI=global.cgi&CURRENT=20040903.0900.mult
      isat.ir.stitched.Global.x.jpg&MOSAIC_SCALE=15

      I coudln't get that link to come up. One thing
      you can do with long web site urls is convert them here:
      www.makeashortlink.com or www.tinyurl.com
      I took the one above and made it into:
      http://tinyurl.com/4428z

      HTH
      Jamie
    • Istari
      Message 89 of 89 , Sep 11 1:41 AM
        --- In tt-watch@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Fisher"
        <jack_fisher_1914@y...> wrote:
        > --- In tt-watch@yahoogroups.com, "Istari" <ianrobertson5@b...>
        wrote:

        > > Outer power is but a set of man-made rules; chains to keep our
        > > consciousness from expanding - the lowest common denominator. Is
        > the
        > > above all we as Human Beings are Jack?
        >
        > you're playing by all the same rules too, unless you claim to live
        in
        > a post-Apocalyptic, Mad Max-style world, where you are a law unto
        > yourself, which I doubt. the main difference is that I take
        > advantage of the system and prosper, while you merely complain and
        > wish that things will get better.

        True. I do because I must. My priorities though are different to
        yours. Why store up "treasure" when you can't take it with you when
        you die? I's rather focus on the treasures in my own soul: THE REAL.

        > Or is there MORE? Are we all
        > > but actors on a transient stage, or are we also the audience,
        the
        > > theatre, the city, the country, the world? Get my point?
        >
        > no, I don't get your point. but I promise to consider it this
        > weekend, down at the gun club, over scotch.

        GOOD! At least you have good taste in alcahol ;)

        > > > What kind of power are you talking about, and what do you
        expect
        > > > do with it, exactly?
        > >
        > > Whether you believe in the "power" that you intrinsically are
        are
        > > not, this "power" governs your life and effects the world. I'm
        > > talking about inner power, the power you were born with and the
        > > power you will die with too. What do I intend to do with it? Use
        it
        > > for good ;)
        >
        > I've used it to make a comfortable life for myself and family. I
        > never bothered with pseudo-radical coffee house maunderings about
        how
        > things might be. I'd have a lot more respect for your philosophy
        if
        > you went out and blew up something.

        I'm happy that you have a comfortable life for you and and your
        family Jack. Blow the "EGO" up because it is that what chains us all.

        > > > I'll tell you something else: I really don't give a shi'ite
        > which
        > > > party occupies the White House because the system will keep
        > > rolling
        > > > along regardless of who is president (1), but most of all
        because
        > > > have access to decision makers in the places it counts for me.
        > > >
        > > > Do you really think an awaking crowd of woowoos can dislodge
        my
        > > kind
        > > > and establish some strange kind of Utopia where everyone wears
        > > white
        > > > ascension robes and dolphins fly through the trees?
        > >
        > > In a word..yes. Everything lives and dies...including
        > Civilisations,
        > > Govenments, societies, worldviews etc...I believe the present
        > > worldview is dying, to be replaced by another. The winds have
        > > changed direction and the walls are falling down. Humanity has
        > > reached the crossroads: either change or die.
        >
        > you ought to relax, get a hobby, find a girlfriend, join the navy
        and
        > see the world. enjoy life. its not going anywhere soon. I --
        and
        > people like me but a whole lot worse -- will be around longer than
        > you realize.

        I don't believe so. I do have many hobbies; a girlfriend, I see the
        world (or some of it) with my mind. As for the Navy etc...I could
        never kill anyone so why bother?

        > > > (1) although I think Kerry is a political failure while Bush
        is
        > > > likely to kill the kind of people who deserve killing.
        > >
        > > Who deserves to be killed, and what one Human Being (or any) has
        > the
        > > right to decide if another lives or dies?
        >
        > who deserves to be killed? roughly speaking, killers who plan
        > murders, murderers for hire, mass murderers, torture murderers.
        who
        > decides? the properly constituted courts of this country, after
        they
        > afford the accused the full measure of due process of law.
        >
        > al-qaida members excepted. if not shot outright, they should be
        > captured and turned over to the Isrealis for proper disposal.

        I don't believe in Capital Punishment. It has to be said, we live in
        very different worlds Jack. Our daily thought must be very different.

        > This is barbarity at it's
        > > most finest Jack. You either forgive the enemy or BECOME the
        enemy.

        > > Istari
        >
        > no forgiveness for bin Laden. you want barbarity? I'll give you
        > barbarity. I'd pull off his arms and legs and sew him up, alive,
        in
        > the carcass of a corn fed monster of an Iowa pig, and bury it in a
        > fire ant nest while it shrinks in the sun.
        >
        > I'll let you weep for his soul.

        The short time we are alive here is a very short time indeed in the
        scheme of things. Be careful because we must answer for everything
        when we leave.

        Istari