seawater hydroponics

  • Angelo Mitchell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2010
      I'm a new member; I don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot but here goes. The solutions posted are appreciated, but I think we could get even more basic with hydroponics AND increase production and efficiency.
      Don Jansen's work on such seawater (or salt- water, ie, sea salt dissolved in fresh water) hydroponic theory and systems is revolutionary and- in my mind, indispensable. Plants, like garden produce, would thrive on a diluted mixture of sea water, alone- containing all trace minerals and in the right proportions for humans (maybe Zetans too). Humans at least, can't benefit from most of these essential substances directly (like from eating salt)- they must be assimilated from the consumption of plants, which make trace minerals available by splitting the CO2 molecule that they inhale and attaching carbon atoms to them, then releasing the O2 which we breath. Those same carbon atoms get exhaled by us and the cycle repeats.
      A page from his site: http://www.ocean-grown.com/history.html
      Now, a light source is a different matter but one could dig a trench (on network of trenches) and backfill with small rocks or other drainage media. Crops are then planted and the salt/ seawater-dilution is released on a set schedule from a tank on one end, and captured by/ pumped/ drained into a tank at the other end. The water is simply recycled and the dilution adjusted accordingly, every few cycles.
      The rocks have the advantage of exceedingly good drainage with low evaporation rates. No pest issues or fertilizer needs, either.
      There is a great Patrick Timpone interview with this genius at oneradionetwork.com . Btw, type in related search words to narrow down your choice because Patrick has a LOT of cutting- edge podcasts available to hear, for free.
      Patrick invited Don to give a weekend seminar and demonstration- of which I was lucky enough to be a participant.
      -angelo