Hello

  • kf4tap
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2008
      Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off on
      uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,

      1) kiss, keep it simple

      2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as camping
      most skills are persihable.

      3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work at
      any time.

      4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it just
      requires forethought.

      5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know what
      you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide
      line if there is interest.
    • Alexr14
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
        I'd like to know what essentials you put in your bugout bag. Please
        share that list with the rest of us. Thanks!

        --- In tt-forum@yahoogroups.com, "kf4tap" <kf4tap@...> wrote:

        > Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off
        on
        > uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,
        >
        > 1) kiss, keep it simple
        >
        > 2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as
        camping
        > most skills are persihable.
        >
        > 3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work
        at
        > any time.
        >
        > 4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it
        just
        > requires forethought.
        >
        > 5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know
        what
        > you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide
        > line if there is interest.

      • SGT Brian Ford
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
          Hi Alex bear in mind i've spent years in the army in infantry.  I use an old rucksack, size medium with frams and pads.  1) poncho and poncho liner. The poncho is that a rain resistant garment that doubles as a hasty shelter.  the liner is a quilted material that attaches inside the poncho for cold weather or can be used as a blanket.  Substitins are are a 8x8 camo tarp and wool blanket. 2)  parachute cord, 1 pouch,  this is stranded cord that is used to strech between trees for the poncho shelter or saplings that be teid at the top with the poncho over the trees to make a crude teepee.  The cord can be taken apart to individual strands that make great fishing line.  Cord can also be use to made animal snares. 3)  E-tool,  the foldup shovel that as a case that clips to the back of the or outside of the ruck.  The etool edge can be sharpened like any cutting insturment and used much like a clumsy knife or is rather lethal in self defense.
          4)  whet stones 2 each 1 small 1 median.  to sharpen the etool and bayonet.  5) bayonet, i think all knows of bayonets, a K-barr or Bowie knife of good quality can be substituted.  uses are hunting, defense, digging, etc.  6) 5 days underclothes, packed in ziplock bags, to keep dry.  2 sets of outer clothing, also in ziplocks.  7) a small tackle kit, hooks about a size 8 - 14 small weights xtra line and bobbers. 8) about 7 days of canned food and non perishables.  this the heaviest stuff here.  9)  hygiene supplies, don't forget the toilet paper or wipes. 10) misc, xtra knife or leatherman, lighers, can opener, altho the knife will work,  fork and spoon.  to eat with or xtra weapons if sharpened.  11) pistal and spare ammo with cleaning kit.  12) 2 quart metal canteen with cup.  or 2 1 qt canteens with cups.  at least one needs to be metal.

          As you see everything is multi purposed,  total weight is about 35 pounds.  additionally a fiberglass bow destrung doulbes as a walking stick or fishing pole.  quiver can be attached to the ruck and arrow making supplys abound in nature.

          Being a grunt i tend to go light weight and evade rather than heavy and immoble.  Learn the skills to live and not just survived.  Practice on outings or in the back yard.

          A great many books are available most are in libruary's so you would not have the expense of buying them if you don't want.

           I've found a lot of folks "talk the talk" but can't make the walk.

          Brian

          I'd like to know what essentials you put in your bugout bag. Please
          share that list with the rest of us. Thanks!

          --- In tt-forum@yahoogroup s.com, "kf4tap" <kf4tap@...> wrote:

          > Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off
          on
          > uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,
          >
          > 1) kiss, keep it simple
          >
          > 2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as
          camping
          > most skills are persihable.
          >
          > 3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work
          at
          > any time.
          >
          > 4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it
          just
          > requires forethought.
          >
          > 5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know
          what
          > you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide
          > line if there is interest.

        • Jose Bittar
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
            For those of us in dangerous urban environment like Miami, Florida here's what's in our bug out bags: nothing. The reason for this is simple: there's no place to bug out to. Your home is your last stand.

            To: tt-forum@yahoogroups.com
            From: alexr14@...
            Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:39:17 +0000

            I'd like to know what essentials you put in your bugout bag. Please

            share that list with the rest of us. Thanks!

            --- In tt-forum@yahoogroups.com, "kf4tap" <kf4tap@...> wrote:

            > Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off

            on

            > uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,

            > 1) kiss, keep it simple

            > 2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as

            camping

            > most skills are persihable.

            > 3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work

            at

            > any time.

            > 4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it

            just

            > requires forethought.

            > 5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know

            what

            > you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide

            > line if there is interest.

          • SGT Brian Ford
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
              I hate to hear that Jose.  Then make your home a castle,  if i can be of any assistance do email,  we can infantry stratagy to you situtation.

              To: tt-forum@yahoogroup s.com
              From: alexr14@yahoo. com
              Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:39:17 +0000

              I'd like to know what essentials you put in your bugout bag. Please

              share that list with the rest of us. Thanks!

              --- In tt-forum@yahoogroup s.com, "kf4tap" <kf4tap@...> wrote:

              > Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off

              on

              > uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,

              > 1) kiss, keep it simple

              > 2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as

              camping

              > most skills are persihable.

              > 3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work

              at

              > any time.

              > 4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it

              just

              > requires forethought.

              > 5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know

              what

              > you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide

              > line if there is interest.

              http://clk.atdmt com/MRT/go/ msnnkwxp10200931 85mrt/direct/ 01/

            • MikeL
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                Being on this list you will have days to weeks warning when to bug out.
                This should give plenty of time to head for higher ground before others make
                travel difficult. Preferably find a place 1000 ft or higher. There should
                be no excuse for not having a bug out bag for any one on this list.
                Florida and where I live on the west coast will be under water for quite a
                time so it is not an option to make a stand at our current place of
                residence and plan to survive it.

                Mikel

                > For those of us in dangerous urban environment like Miami, Florida here's
                > what's in our bug out bags: nothing. The reason for this is simple:
                > there's no place to bug out to. Your home is your last stand.
                >
                > To: tt-forum@yahoogroups.com
                > From: alexr14@...
                > Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:39:17 +0000
                > Subject: [tt-forum] Re: Hello

                > I'd like to know what essentials you put in your bugout bag.
                > Please
                >
                > share that list with the rest of us. Thanks!
                >

                > --- In tt-forum@yahoogroups.com, "kf4tap" <kf4tap@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off
                >
                > on
                >
                >> uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,
                >

                >> 1) kiss, keep it simple
                >

                >> 2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as
                >
                > camping
                >
                >> most skills are persihable.
                >

                >> 3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work
                >
                > at
                >
                >> any time.
                >

                >> 4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it
                >
                > just
                >
                >> requires forethought.
                >

                >> 5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know
                >
                > what
                >
                >> you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide
                >
                >> line if there is interest.

              • MikeL
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                  Very good and well done. I have a few clarification questions. Is the
                  E-tool you talk about, is this the typical army folding shovel? What sort
                  of caned food do you take? The fiber glass bow, can you describe this more?
                  Do you take the string off when using as a walking stick? How long is the
                  bow. Doesn't the end that holds the string ware off and get damaged when
                  walking? What do you take with you for fire starting? Do you take anything
                  for cooking in? How long is your parachute cord? Have you looked at the
                  Rambo survival knife that harbor freight sells for about $8 when on sale?
                  see http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90714.
                  I am thinking this would also work.

                  MikeL

                  I'd like to know what essentials you put in your bugout bag. Please
                  share that list with the rest of us. Thanks!

                  --- In tt-forum@yahoogroup s.com, "kf4tap" <kf4tap@...> wrote:

                  > Looks like some interesting post have came up while i've been off
                  on
                  > uncle georges war on terror. If I may suggest a few things,
                  >
                  > 1) kiss, keep it simple
                  >
                  > 2) see a skill, practice it at home or on an outing such as
                  camping
                  > most skills are persihable.
                  >
                  > 3) equipment, use it now. new and improved does not allways work
                  at
                  > any time.
                  >
                  > 4) tools, Learn to make what you can. often it,s not hard it
                  just
                  > requires forethought.
                  >
                  > 5) bugout bag, keep one pack, i use an old ruck sack. You know
                  what
                  > you NEED, i may compile a list of what i keep in my bag as a guide
                  > line if there is interest.

                • SGT Brian Ford
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                      Hi good questions

                    1)  The E-tool is the army folding shovel,  often found at surplus stores and flea markets.  the camp shovels in the superstores are not very good quaility.

                    2)  The Fiberglass bow is about 5.5 feet long with about a 30 pound draw strength.  it cme from a yard sale so i have no particulars about it other than it's fiberglass, orange, and tested draw.  When using as i walking stick it is destrung,  I have a pair  of end protectors that slide on when the string is off.

                    3)  firestarting, under misc,  i keep a couple of lighters and i have a mageniesm bar that was a gift from one of my kids.  a bow drill can be made easily to start a fire also.  I think there was a discussion about those here a couple of years ago.  i tuaght my kids to make and use them.  it does a take a bit of time to get one working.

                    4) metal canteen cups can be used for cooking,  if you can't come by these a cheap mess kit will work as well.  available at most superstores and surpluses.

                    5)  parachute cord is a long piece, a couple of hundred feet,  cloth clothes line should work almost has well and is about 3 dollars for a 75 foot lenght.  And a spol of fishing line to Misc,

                    6)  rambo knife,  my son has one not the greatest quality but should work in a pinch.  Check Smoky Mountian Knife Works for specials.

                    7) canned food,  Chef boyrdee, tuna, jerky,   etc,  I keep what i'll eat,  The canned stuff is the last food source when i can't fish or trap.  most game can be dried, if you are secluded.   When traveling i keep a eye out fo natural edibles,  fruits, berries, etc.

                    This my pack with items that may be hard for nonmilitary people to get some items.  Dirtcheap.com  may have a lot at a reasonable price.  i have a lot of stuff stored at home that left over form years of service.  Brian