Solar-powered refrigeration

  • cannex@mosquitonet.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6 12:23 PM
      I got this link from another list. A home made ice maker... for those of you who live in a climate where you may need ice for refrigeration.

      http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com/solarice.pdf

      Clipper

    • Tian Boon
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6 4:15 PM
        This is a very nice handy device to have, the only thing that I would like
        to comment is that ammonia is deadly toxic gas, and our skating ring in our
        province uses this ammonia as a refrigerant, and only a specialize ammonia
        licence technician is allowed to work with this type of refrigerant,
        accident leak happened in the past in a skating ring and killed the
        technician.

        My suggestion is, if you decide to build one like this, one can substitute
        the refrigerant with 134a type for automobile or R12 and R22 freon which is
        forbidden right now, due to damaging the ozone layer, but they are much
        safer to work with, if you still can get it, but the 134a is available at
        an automotive store and it is legal to use, the 134a replaces the R12 freon.

        Tian.

        > I got this link from another list. A home made ice maker... for those of
        you who live in a climate where you may need ice for refrigeration.

        > http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com/solarice.pdf
        >
        > Clipper

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        06/12/2007 10:11 AM

      • cannex@mosquitonet.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6 6:16 PM
          This is a very nice handy device to have, the only thing that I would like
          to comment is that ammonia is deadly toxic gas, and our skating ring in our
          province uses this ammonia as a refrigerant, and only a specialize ammonia
          licence technician is allowed to work with this type of refrigerant,
          accident leak happened in the past in a skating ring and killed the
          technician.

          My suggestion is, if you decide to build one like this, one can substitute
          the refrigerant with 134a type for automobile or R12 and R22 freon which is
          forbidden right now, due to damaging the ozone layer, but they are much
          safer to work with, if you still can get it, but the 134a is available at
          an automotive store and it is legal to use, the 134a replaces the R12 freon.

          Tian.

          .
          Good information. Thanks.

          Clipper