The perfect pre/post PS power generator

  • farmerjoe1953
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2007
      I discovered this a few weeks ago and decided that this was just what
      I was looking for.
      It begins with a Lister engine or Listeroid which is the clone name.
      It's a single cylinder 6 hp diesel engine weighing in at 700 lbs. It
      runs at 650 rpm and there are documented cases where they have run
      24/7 for 30 to 40 years. Additionally it's very happy to run on
      straight vegetable oil as long as it is not too cold. It's quiet and
      will drive a 5000 watt generator on something arround 1.5 pints of
      fuel per hour. Not that you will get 5000 watts out of this engine but
      a 5kw generator will handle large starting loads where it requires
      less power to run the device once started. With two huge flywheels one
      on each side which are wide and flat for a belt, it will be of further
      use after the PS for pumping water, grinding grain, powering a sawmill
      or any other uses you can think up. As we are able to grow oil
      producing plants such as peanuts or sunflowers an oil press at hand
      will provide the fuel for this wonderful engine.

      Now, for a gen head, I've selected the ST5. This is a 5000 watt 200 lb
      tank! this baby has a massive 38 mm shaft (about 1.5 inches) and huge
      bearings on each end. It will generate 60 cycles ac at only 1800 rpm
      with its 4 pole heads and a two brush system. It is self starting and
      requires no electronic voltage regulation. Like the Lister engine it
      is designed to last forever. I'm sure it will be a comforting feeling
      to hear this thing go chug, chug, chug, chug, chug and know that it
      will go on chugging for as long as the dark days last.
      For more info on these engines and gen heads see:
      http://utterpower.com
      One of the best do-it-yourself sites I've seen on the net.