12 volt low wattage Florescent Task Lighting

  • MikeL
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2006
      Florescent lighting is close to the efficiency of LED lighting at much lower
      cost. Over the past few years I have been attempting to use the Home Depot's
      12 volt battery operated (8 AA cell) florescent light (sells for about $10)
      and adapting it to work with 12 volt battery source. This is done by
      soldering a wire to each of the battery terminals and running this to a 12
      volt battery. The bottom line is it doesn't work for very long. Any
      voltage approaching charging voltage of about 14.5 volts will burn out the
      unit in short order. Turn on charging generator with the light on and the
      unit is typically toasted.

      I have now found a much more cost effective solution. It is a simple unit
      of an 8 watt florescent tube inside a plastic tube for protection, circuitry
      to create the proper voltage to light the tube, 14 ft of wire leads, and
      clip leads to attach to 12 volts. It is designed to work on 12 volts while
      the battery is charging. See the 12V work Light "chil298" for $3.33 at

      http://www.mattstools.com/product_info.php?products_id=541

      I purchased my units locally for $2.60 at a whole sale tool place. I found
      the unit to use about 3.5 watts when new at running at 13 volts. After one
      month of continuous use at 13.1 volts, it draws a maximum of about 4.8 watts
      to 6.5 watts. At 6.25 volts it easily starts, runs, and uses between 1.9
      watts to 3.6 Watts. I added a simple on-off switch in series and it
      becomes a highly practical low wattage, cost effective, survival task light
      for base camp. I recommend stocking up on many of these units for your
      survival site. A typical 12 volt screw in florescent bulb is of the order
      of $20 or more.
    • Stephen Spiesser
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006
        HI Mike