Re: [tt-forum] Purifying Water

  • Tian Boon
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Thanks Mike, it was a well written article in purifying water, I have one
      question, how do you improve the taste of a distilled water?, since our
      physical body's building block is carbon (dna), we are craving for the taste
      of carbon?, will active carbon improve the taste?, what is your opinion and
      suggestions?, I haven't tried it yet myself just wondering.

      Tian.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        When water is filtered thorough Activated Carbon it will definitely
        improve taste. It pulls hydrocarbons, oils and bad smelling gases from
        the water. Carbon sometimes gets into the solution when you first start
        filtering but that is minimal.

        Granular carbon can be consumed or taken internally to help pull bad
        minerals (like lead) and other poisons out of the body. It does not have
        much of a taste. Worth remembering if you have someone show up with
        poisoning symptoms on your door steps. Just go grind up some charcoal
        (not to be confused with ashes) and feed it to them. Ashes is a totally
        a different thing.

        When carbon is heated in the absence of air (oxygen) it leaves a porous
        carbon mass called charcoal that has a hunger for chemicals to fill it's
        emptiness. That which is driven out by heat is now attracted to fill
        the void. Carbon likes to be in conjunction with other minerals and
        chemicals and is thus attracted to them. For this reason carbon makes a
        good building block for life.

        There are ways to improve carbons hunger to absorb as mentioned in the
        link. But the basic process of making charcoal in the absence of air
        (oxygen) will drive everything out but the carbon and thus activates it.
        The hotter you get it the better. If air or oxygen is present it burns
        and makes ashes.

        I believe one can purchase barbecue bags of pure charcoal (old fashion
        type without light fluid added) Pound them up to small peace's to
        improve surface area and put them as a layer in home made sand to
        dramatically improve taste and reduce poisons.

        A year or two ago I posted some links to how one can make activated
        charcoal using a 55 and 30 gallon container and a wood fire.

        The above is my current understanding.

        MikeL

        Tian Boon wrote:
        > Thanks Mike, it was a well written article in purifying water, I have one
        > question, how do you improve the taste of a distilled water?, since our
        > physical body's building block is carbon (dna), we are craving for the taste
        > of carbon?, will active carbon improve the taste?, what is your opinion and
        > suggestions?, I haven't tried it yet myself just wondering.
        >
        > Tian.

      • Tian Boon
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          I have another stupid question if you don't mind, I have a woodstove and
          more often I got lumps of charcoal beside the ashes, this left over lumps of
          charcoal, is it consider as active charcoal?, I didn't pay much attention
          last time about your post how to make an active charcoal, if you still have
          it would you mind repost it again?

          "When carbon is heated in absence of air(oxygen)...", can you elaborate a
          little bit about this?, do you mean in a vacuum?, does it work when heated
          with a hair dryer or heat gun?

          Tian.

          > When water is filtered thorough Activated Carbon it will definitely
          > improve taste. It pulls hydrocarbons, oils and bad smelling gases from
          > the water. Carbon sometimes gets into the solution when you first start
          > filtering but that is minimal.
          >
          > Granular carbon can be consumed or taken internally to help pull bad
          > minerals (like lead) and other poisons out of the body. It does not have
          > much of a taste. Worth remembering if you have someone show up with
          > poisoning symptoms on your door steps. Just go grind up some charcoal
          > (not to be confused with ashes) and feed it to them. Ashes is a totally
          > a different thing.
          >
          > When carbon is heated in the absence of air (oxygen) it leaves a porous
          > carbon mass called charcoal that has a hunger for chemicals to fill it's
          > emptiness. That which is driven out by heat is now attracted to fill
          > the void. Carbon likes to be in conjunction with other minerals and
          > chemicals and is thus attracted to them. For this reason carbon makes a
          > good building block for life.
          >
          > There are ways to improve carbons hunger to absorb as mentioned in the
          > link. But the basic process of making charcoal in the absence of air
          > (oxygen) will drive everything out but the carbon and thus activates it.
          > The hotter you get it the better. If air or oxygen is present it burns
          > and makes ashes.
          >
          > I believe one can purchase barbecue bags of pure charcoal (old fashion
          > type without light fluid added) Pound them up to small peace's to
          > improve surface area and put them as a layer in home made sand to
          > dramatically improve taste and reduce poisons.
          >
          > A year or two ago I posted some links to how one can make activated
          > charcoal using a 55 and 30 gallon container and a wood fire.
          >
          > The above is my current understanding.
          >
          > MikeL

        • MikeL
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            Yes, lumps of charcoal independent of how it is made are considered
            activated. Charcoal left after a fire is usually a mixture of wood and
            charcoal. If one uses only the charcoal part separating it from the
            wood then this should work. Some charcoal is more active than others
            due to the type of wood and how it is made. Any charcoal no mater how
            it is made is to some degree active.

            I will look for my previous post and resend it if I can find it.

            No vacuum is needed. All that is needed is a nearly closed container
            that will not burn. For example if you took a metal can that has an air
            tight fitting lid and make a couple of holes in the bottom. The holes
            need to be big enough to let the wood gasses escape but not big enough
            to let the air come in (that has oxygen in it). If air comes in you get
            ashes. You put this container in a hot fire with wood in it, until you
            have made charcoal and no more gasses are driven out of the box. This
            process activates the charcoal and makes it thirsty for similar
            chemicals to what was driven off.

            I think a really hot heat gun might work, but I think the heat of a hot
            wood fire is much better and defiantly a lot cheaper.

            MikeL