Raising Chicken

  • tian boon
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2004
      I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice on how to feed the chickens after the p.s., right now it is still convenient, I still can buy the chicken feed from a farm feed supplier.

      Tian

    • Roger Thuma
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2004
        Let them free-range as much as possible. You will
        need to watch over them and keep them cooped up at
        night, but they will forage very well for themselves
        if allowed to roam a little.

        --- tian boon <tian.boon@...> wrote:
        > I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice on
        > how to feed the chickens after the p.s., right now
        > it is still convenient, I still can buy the chicken
        > feed from a farm feed supplier.
        >
        > Tian

        > removed]

      • tian boon
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2004
          Thanks Roger,

          I think that is the only best solution for me, with a wooded area on my
          property, it might create some problems to chase them back into their coop
          every night, plus the fox and racoons roaming around at night.

          Tian.

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            Well Tian, you could put up a fence around the area
            you will let them roam. This way they wouldn't stray
            too far.

            By the way, chickens naturally return to their coop in
            the evening, once they are attached to one. You might
            have a strangler here and there, but if you start
            letting them free range a little now, then you can
            establish a habit for them.

            --- tian boon <tian.boon@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Roger,
            >
            > I think that is the only best solution for me, with
            > a wooded area on my
            > property, it might create some problems to chase
            > them back into their coop
            > every night, plus the fox and racoons roaming around
            > at night.
            >
            > Tian.

          • tian boon
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                Tian,

                After the PS if the chickens can roam they will do very well, except that
                you will need to be sure there is some exposed rock or other source of
                calcium for them to add to their diet. We had a small rack face (limestone)
                and a small area of the gravel road not covered with grass and that was
                plenty for about 20 chickens. Also, if it is practical, make sure the water
                they have is ample and good water, even distilled, like your own. It may be
                difficult to avoid "bad" water for them, but I feel that if good water is
                offered, they will go for the better.

                Gay

                I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice on how to feed the
                chickens after the p.s., right now it is still convenient, I still can buy
                the chicken feed from a farm feed supplier.

                Tian

                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/JcWolB/TM

              • Pierre des Ormeaux
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                  In South Africa, what we do to control chickens is to tie a ribbon or thong
                  to one leg, about 1 yard long (+-1 meter), it makes them that much easier to
                  catch!
                  > Well Tian, you could put up a fence around the area
                  > you will let them roam. This way they wouldn't stray
                  > too far.
                  >
                  > By the way, chickens naturally return to their coop in
                  > the evening, once they are attached to one. You might
                  > have a strangler here and there, but if you start
                  > letting them free range a little now, then you can
                  > establish a habit for them.
                  >

                  > --- tian boon <tian.boon@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Roger,
                  > >
                  > > I think that is the only best solution for me, with
                  > > a wooded area on my
                  > > property, it might create some problems to chase
                  > > them back into their coop
                  > > every night, plus the fox and racoons roaming around
                  > > at night.
                  > >
                  > > Tian.

                • Hosrod
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                    Tian,

                    I haven't seen the beginning of this, but I thought I would comment on the
                    supposed difficulty of getting chickens in at night. We had no problem
                    walking the chickens in at night. In fact, if we did chores later than
                    usual and it was already dusky out, the chickens were always in already. We
                    would also feed whatever we had for them morning and evening so they would
                    also be interested in returning to the coop for the tidbit we offered.
                    Sometimes we would throw in some finely ground rock so that a calcium source
                    was available in the coop as well as outside while roaming about. It would
                    be mostly gone each morning.

                    I don't know what your solution was, suggested by Roger, and am not trying
                    to alter this, only wanted to provide our experience getting chickens in.
                    This was true of new broods or oldtimers - it didn't seem to be a learned
                    behavior, rather instinctive...we simply went with the chicken - nature we
                    thought.

                    Gay

                    > Let them free-range as much as possible. You will
                    > need to watch over them and keep them cooped up at
                    > night, but they will forage very well for themselves
                    > if allowed to roam a little.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Roger Thuma
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                      > If I may ask you a few more questions:
                      >
                      > What is the maximum number of chickens for the size
                      > of 8' x 8' chicken
                      > coop?
                      >
                      > What is the right number of rooster per number of
                      > hens?, one rooster for
                      > every five hens?
                      >
                      > Do I have to cut off their spur, to prevent them
                      > killing each other during a
                      > fight?
                      >
                      > I clipped their wings, so that they couldn't fly way
                      > up high into the trees,
                      > is this a good idea?, because a neighbour organic
                      > farmer let his chickens
                      > roam freely all year round with the purpose to let
                      > them eat the bugs instead
                      > of spraying with chemicals on his organic vegetable
                      > gardens and his chickens
                      > flew high up on the tree for the night, because of
                      > their survival instinct
                      > avoiding the racoons and the foxes.
                      >

                      > Thanks again Roger.
                      >
                      > Tian.

                      Tian, your questions have exceeded my limited
                      knowledge on this subject (sorry :-) ). I haven't
                      heard of cutting spurs or rather clipping wings is
                      advisable. I think that if you are going to free
                      range them, you should let them have their limited
                      flight (don't clip their wings). Clipping wings would
                      be to keep them in a pen (my guess). As far as the
                      number hens per rooster or the maximum recommended
                      population density, I have no idea. I could search
                      the web, but you can do that as well. It's too bad
                      Stan doesn't have internet access anymore :-( He's
                      been raising chickens for a couple of years now. If I
                      have a chance to talk to him this weekend, I'll ask
                      him...

                      Roger
                    • tian boon
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                        Thanks Gay for the info, you are right before it gets dark in the evening
                        they went inside the coop by themselves and I was surprise to see this kind
                        of behaviour, is this because they can not see in the dark?

                        I would like to ask a few more questions to you and Roger or anybody else in
                        this forum.

                        Right now I have 8' x 8' chicken coop and a fenced up pen about 3' high,
                        approx. 30' x 20' and nothing grow inside this pen anymore, it was scratch
                        and picked clean by the chickens.right now I have 11 hens and 2 roosters
                        inside this pen, the reason I didn't let them roam around free is because I
                        didn't want them to roam on a neighbour's property, my next choice is like
                        Roger had mentioned to enlarge the fence in the wooded area, I am not too
                        sure if this is a practical solution.

                        Questions:

                        1. What is the max. number of chickens for this size of
                        coop?
                        2. What is the ideal number of rooster per hens? 2
                        roosters for every five hens?
                        3. Do I have to cut off the rooster's spur, to prevent them
                        killing each other during a fight ( occasionally they do
                        fight)
                        4. Clip their wings, so that they couldn't fly too high up on
                        a tree, is this a good idea?, one hen given to me flew
                        way up high on a tree branch during the night, when
                        she came down the next day, I clipped her wings and
                        three days later she died, she refused to eat.
                        5. I bought an auto-electric incubator, I did try three times
                        to hatch some eggs, no luck, any suggestions?

                        Tian.

                        > I haven't seen the beginning of this, but I thought I would comment on
                        the
                        > supposed difficulty of getting chickens in at night. We had no problem
                        > walking the chickens in at night. In fact, if we did chores later than
                        > usual and it was already dusky out, the chickens were always in already.
                        We
                        > would also feed whatever we had for them morning and evening so they would
                        > also be interested in returning to the coop for the tidbit we offered.
                        > Sometimes we would throw in some finely ground rock so that a calcium
                        source
                        > was available in the coop as well as outside while roaming about. It
                        would
                        > be mostly gone each morning.
                        >
                        > I don't know what your solution was, suggested by Roger, and am not trying
                        > to alter this, only wanted to provide our experience getting chickens in.
                        > This was true of new broods or oldtimers - it didn't seem to be a learned
                        > behavior, rather instinctive...we simply went with the chicken - nature we
                        > thought.
                        >
                        > Gay

                      • Sovereign Soul
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                          > 1. What is the max. number of chickens for this size of
                          > coop?

                          You'd be amazed at how many chickens you can put into a small coop,
                          especially when they are really only sleeping in there. You can fit as many
                          as there is room for them to sleep in the rafters.

                          > 2. What is the ideal number of rooster per hens? 2
                          > roosters for every five hens?

                          I have always read that ideal would be 1 rooster to every 10 or 11 hens,
                          otherwise the poor hens start losing feathers etc from being the object of
                          constant sex by the roosters. That's the number I try to keep it at.

                          > 3. Do I have to cut off the rooster's spur, to prevent them
                          > killing each other during a fight ( occasionally they do
                          > fight)

                          I have never cut off a roosters spurs. Having more hens per rooster helps
                          with the fighting, and if there is ever a rooster that is just a born
                          fighter, we eat him.

                          > 4. Clip their wings, so that they couldn't fly too high up on
                          > a tree, is this a good idea?, one hen given to me flew
                          > way up high on a tree branch during the night, when
                          > she came down the next day, I clipped her wings and
                          > three days later she died, she refused to eat.

                          I would definately NOT clip wings. You are less likely to lose a chicken due
                          to a predator if they have a better chance of getting away. If a chicken
                          likes to sleep in a tree, I would just let them, it is their instinct.

                          > 5. I bought an auto-electric incubator, I did try three times
                          > to hatch some eggs, no luck, any suggestions?

                          I generally let the mother hens do the hatching, so no help there.

                          Jennifer
                        • erikn_tt
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                            When I was in high school, we had some chickens on our dairy farm.
                            Since I am far from a chicken expert, I did some browsing and came
                            up with a list of sites that seem to be useful for those just
                            starting with chickens and those who have been away from it for a
                            few years (like myself).

                            This site seems to be a very good all around site for chickens with
                            lots of pictures and photos. It has a bunch of FAQs on predators,
                            roosts, coops, food, etc and "how-to" pages on wing clipping,
                            incubating, candling eggs, building incubators, waterers and feeders.
                            http://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html

                            Another good site about raising backyard chickens with many pictures.
                            http://www.cyndilou6.com

                            I found this site which describes how to take a chicken from the
                            coop to the dinner table. It is of course a bit graphic due to the
                            nature of the page. However, if you have never slaughtered a bird
                            before, the pictures will be very useful!
                            http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/slaughter.htm
                            They also have quite a bit of info on raising chickens at this page:
                            http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/chickens.htm

                            Here's a short one page overview of raising chickens:
                            http://www.i4at.org/lib2/chickens.htm

                            One thing we used on the farm to catch chickens was a "leg-
                            catcher". It was basically a 3-4 foot stiff wire with a hook bent
                            on the end that would slip over the leg, but not off the foot. This
                            came in useful for catching chickens running around on the ground as
                            well as those that manage to get on top of a fence or other roost.
                            After some searching, I did manage to find a picture of a "leg-
                            catcher" or "fowl catcher" as it's called here:
                            http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/fowl_catchers.html

                            Erik

                          • tian boon
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                              > When I was in high school, we had some chickens on our dairy farm.
                              > Since I am far from a chicken expert, I did some browsing and came
                              > up with a list of sites that seem to be useful for those just
                              > starting with chickens and those who have been away from it for a
                              > few years (like myself).
                              >
                              > This site seems to be a very good all around site for chickens with
                              > lots of pictures and photos. It has a bunch of FAQs on predators,
                              > roosts, coops, food, etc and "how-to" pages on wing clipping,
                              > incubating, candling eggs, building incubators, waterers and feeders.
                              > http://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html
                              >
                              > Another good site about raising backyard chickens with many pictures.
                              > http://www.cyndilou6.com
                              >

                              > I found this site which describes how to take a chicken from the
                              > coop to the dinner table. It is of course a bit graphic due to the
                              > nature of the page. However, if you have never slaughtered a bird
                              > before, the pictures will be very useful!
                              > http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/slaughter.htm
                              > They also have quite a bit of info on raising chickens at this page:
                              > http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/chickens.htm
                              >
                              > Here's a short one page overview of raising chickens:
                              > http://www.i4at.org/lib2/chickens.htm
                              >

                              > One thing we used on the farm to catch chickens was a "leg-
                              > catcher". It was basically a 3-4 foot stiff wire with a hook bent
                              > on the end that would slip over the leg, but not off the foot. This
                              > came in useful for catching chickens running around on the ground as
                              > well as those that manage to get on top of a fence or other roost.
                              > After some searching, I did manage to find a picture of a "leg-
                              > catcher" or "fowl catcher" as it's called here:
                              > http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/fowl_catchers.html
                              >

                              > Erik

                              Thank you very much Erik for the links, they are great websites, I am going
                              and try to copy it on a cd-rom.

                              Tian.
                            • Hosrod
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                                If the chickens are free ranging the number of chickens to space in the coop
                                is important only if you expect to close them up at night. With clipped
                                wings, you may need to close them up. We were advised that each chicken
                                should have 2 square feet of space in a coop/yard, but required only 1 foot
                                of space on a perch and one foot square nest would be adequate for two hens
                                to use for laying eggs. One rooster can fertilize the entire flock of hens
                                and fighting among roosters is more common with greater density. When we
                                first raised chickens we paid no attention to the large number of roosters
                                at first. We got a straight run of peeps and had about 50% roosters. By
                                the time they were mating, one was clearly the master of the flock and all
                                the other roosters were kept in line by him. He flew at my son one
                                unfortunate day and lost his head over that action. Every hen and rooster
                                in the coop or yard came running and danced and crowed and flapped their
                                wings over his corpse. It was a celebration. So, we have since kept the
                                rooster population down to 2 or 3 for the entire flock of 20 or so hens.
                                Haven't a clue about what the experts recommend.

                                Gay

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                                  > If the chickens are free ranging the number of chickens to space in the
                                  coop
                                  > is important only if you expect to close them up at night. With clipped
                                  > wings, you may need to close them up. We were advised that each chicken
                                  > should have 2 square feet of space in a coop/yard, but required only 1
                                  foot
                                  > of space on a perch and one foot square nest would be adequate for two
                                  hens
                                  > to use for laying eggs. One rooster can fertilize the entire flock of
                                  hens
                                  > and fighting among roosters is more common with greater density. When we
                                  > first raised chickens we paid no attention to the large number of roosters
                                  > at first. We got a straight run of peeps and had about 50% roosters. By
                                  > the time they were mating, one was clearly the master of the flock and all
                                  > the other roosters were kept in line by him. He flew at my son one
                                  > unfortunate day and lost his head over that action. Every hen and rooster
                                  > in the coop or yard came running and danced and crowed and flapped their
                                  > wings over his corpse. It was a celebration. So, we have since kept the
                                  > rooster population down to 2 or 3 for the entire flock of 20 or so hens.
                                  > Haven't a clue about what the experts recommend.
                                  >
                                  > Gay

                                  Thanks very much Gay, yes it is amazing to watch their behaviour, one of the
                                  rooster sneak behind me and attacked me while I was bending down stealing
                                  their eggs.

                                  Tian.
                                • Hosrod
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                                    Tian,

                                    I think the chickens go in because it is where they "live" or for safety.
                                    Do you have perches that are enough space for all of them (at least 13 feet
                                    of linear space on perches). We were advised that the chickens won't range
                                    further than 300 feet from their "home". This was true for us. If your
                                    neighbor is closer to the coop than that, there might be a risk that they
                                    will wander on to the neighbor's place. Joe, my husband, also used the same
                                    words, whistles, calls every day or night when he approached the coop.
                                    Because of this, when we had to leave for an appointment or whatever before
                                    our usual time to do chores, he could go out, while still daylight, and the
                                    chickens would go on in. Every now and then, one might not be there (so be
                                    sure to count) and then when you return, the missing one(s) will be sitting
                                    at the door, waiting to get in.

                                    I believe that the size of your pen has to change or be removed entirely
                                    because you need to be able to get into the pen. I am assuming it is
                                    enclosed If your pen is too small, you will begin to see sick chickens and
                                    they will eventually resist returning to the "home" because it is too nasty
                                    and confined. You will need a minimum height of about 6-7feet. You need to
                                    put wire across the top and under the ground also. Without a cube enclosure
                                    foxes, raccoons, possums, and hawks will get into the pen and you will lose
                                    eggs as a minimum and your chickens, more likely. The pen we built was an
                                    entire box (8X12X8) with a latchable door. The entire space had multiple
                                    perches and swings. Within a very short period the growth was gone, like in
                                    your case, and they had access to the outside. When weather was bad, they
                                    would return to the coop and try to scratch out something to eat in the pen.
                                    We finally took to putting grass clippings or freshly pulled in the coop
                                    everyday. When a hen is sitting on eggs, she won't go out to get herself
                                    fed but she will go to drink, and we always had fresh grass near the waterer
                                    for her to eat before returning to the nest. Good nesters are the type of
                                    hens you need to get and avoid the hybrids as they won't live long and seem
                                    less interested in nesting or sitting. A hybrid that lives long and sits
                                    well is the turkin. Looks a bit like a turkey in the bare neck, but was our
                                    best nester.

                                    Our first pen had wire dug into the ground about 8 inches and then turned
                                    away from the pen for another 12 inches. Unfortunately, we lost over half
                                    of the flock because that didn't fool or deter a local raccoon. When we
                                    finally got him he weighed over 40 pounds and had a huge family in the hills
                                    behind the coop. We tore everything down and started over with an entire
                                    cube. All sides were enclosed, even the one against the coop. Nothing got
                                    into that pen in the remaining 8 years we were able to stay on the farm.
                                    Some people suspend the "floor" of their pen above the ground so that the
                                    chicken droppings fall to the ground and don't make the pen nasty. Since we
                                    fed and watered them in the pen it would have reduced the mess there too.
                                    We were concerned that varmints might grab at their legs and the new peepers
                                    would fall through, so we buried the bottom of the box, instead.

                                    There are mobile coops which you can move from place to place so that the
                                    chickens will cover a larger area (300 feet from the coop), and then you
                                    haven't any pen to deal with. We felt this was too confining because we
                                    noted that they would return to the coop when it was raining, too windy,
                                    electrical storms, foggy (dusk appearing) and if there is a pen attached to
                                    the coop, they will venture there even in these BAD times.

                                    I am happy to discuss the chicken care with you. We miss having them around
                                    - miss the ducks even more. Please feel free to ask away. If I know
                                    anything about it, I'll let you know.

                                    Gay