Re: [tt-forum] Water Purification Tablets

  • MikeL
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      It's my understanding that this type of approach will not remove lead,
      iron and other heavy metals. Main use is to kills off the pathogens. Is
      this your current understanding?

      MikeL

      Stephen Spiesser wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > Only just got the chance to follow up on this.
      >
      > Here in Australia the only commercially available brand I could find is 'Puritabs'
      > A pack of 36 tabs cost me A$7.15. One tablet can purify 1 litre of water in 10 minutes and 2 litres of water in 30 minutes. Each tablet contains 17mg of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate. (phew, I need to clear my throat after that!) They expire in 3 years, thus are good for stockpiling. They are distributed by Dermatech Laboratories here in Oz.
      >
      > I bought a packet & added it to my 4wd First Aid Kit that I keep in my Nissan Patrol.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Stephen

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Hosrod
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        I believe that distillation is the safest option available. I view water as
        a two pronged problem: first, acquisition of water and secondly, making the
        acquired water safe to drink. No matter how stagnant or questionable the
        water, it seems to me that being able to filter out obvious debris and then
        distilling will remove most undesirables to include organisms and heavy
        metals. That is my understanding of the process. For aver 15 years I have
        used reverse osmosis (purchased) or distilled (processed at home) only and
        note that there are times the distilled water picks up adverse taste. This
        has always been related (in my experience) to the need to clean the
        distillation equipment. Too much residue has been allowed to accumulate.

        It seems the Iodine tabs are a good option for "while on the move", as is
        may be impractical to carry enough safe water. But over time, removal of
        pathogens alone will spell trouble, I believe.

        Gay

          Stephen Spiesser wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Only just got the chance to follow up on this.
          >
          > Here in Australia the only commercially available brand I could find is 'Puritabs'
          > A pack of 36 tabs cost me A$7.15. One tablet can purify 1 litre of water in 10 minutes and 2 litres of water in 30 minutes. Each tablet contains 17mg of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate. (phew, I need to clear my throat after that!) They expire in 3 years, thus are good for stockpiling. They are distributed by Dermatech Laboratories here in Oz.
          >
          > I bought a packet & added it to my 4wd First Aid Kit that I keep in my Nissan Patrol.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Stephen

          > Yahoo! Groups Links