Cassava/Taro

  • wendyjensen1116
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Even starting cassava indoors is not practical, much less trying to
      get it to fruition indoors.

      The "plant" is a gangly, almost bushy creature with stalks 1.5" or so
      in diameter. The bush can range from 3-6' tall, and cover an area
      about 4' in diameter.

      That's a lot of space for one plant, and if my memory of 9 months to
      mature is right, a lot of time. What you get from one cassava plant
      is little, if any, more food than you get from one hearty potato
      plant, which only grows 2' tall, takes up 1-2' of space, and matures
      in 3 months.

      Cassava is an excellent crop for tropical areas, where potatoes
      usually do not grow. In such a climate cassava is an easy-to-grow,
      low maintenance source of starch. But where you can grow potatoes I
      would go with those instead. I have grown potatoes indoors in a
      bucket under lights.

      When I was growing up we also ate the tubers of various plants
      resembling elephant ears, which I believe were species of Taro. These
      take up less space than cassava. The key would be finding the right
      varieties that produce edible tubers.

      Ebay is a good source for exotic plants.

      Wendy Jensen
      www.wendyjensen.com
    • tian.boon@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002

        > From: "wendyjensen1116" <Wendy@...>
        > Date: 2002/03/01 Fri AM 08:06:11 EST
        > To: tt-forum@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [tt-forum] Cassava/Taro
        >
        > Even starting cassava indoors is not practical, much less trying to
        > get it to fruition indoors.
        >
        > The "plant" is a gangly, almost bushy creature with stalks 1.5" or so
        > in diameter. The bush can range from 3-6' tall, and cover an area
        > about 4' in diameter.
        >
        > That's a lot of space for one plant, and if my memory of 9 months to
        > mature is right, a lot of time. What you get from one cassava plant
        > is little, if any, more food than you get from one hearty potato
        > plant, which only grows 2' tall, takes up 1-2' of space, and matures
        > in 3 months.
        >
        > Cassava is an excellent crop for tropical areas, where potatoes
        > usually do not grow. In such a climate cassava is an easy-to-grow,
        > low maintenance source of starch. But where you can grow potatoes I
        > would go with those instead. I have grown potatoes indoors in a
        > bucket under lights.

        Yes, I agree with you from the practical point of view and space available for the average person.

        Can you tell us more, how to grow potatoes in a bucket in a detailed fashion step by step, I am quiet interested and I believe others have the same view.My wife just ordered potato seed, I don't quiet understand what is potato seed?

        > When I was growing up we also ate the tubers of various plants
        > resembling elephant ears, which I believe were species of Taro. These
        > take up less space than cassava. The key would be finding the right
        > varieties that produce edible tubers.

        Can you tell us more with your experiences growing these tubers?,what we are looking for is the step by step method how to grow them succesfully indoor.

        > Ebay is a good source for exotic plants.

        It is not an exotic plan that we are looking for our survival, anything that is easy and practical to grow and edible for our survival for the next ten to twenty years in the future.

        I will try Ebay, thank you very much for these informations.

        Tian.