Re: [tt-forum] Ethanol

  • helena
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi, Dave:
      there was a lot of information in those links, and in the ones Gino gave me.
      I guess what I will do is mention this whole thing in the Booklet, and
      communities or individuals must keep an eye on what is going on with Ethanol
      during the two years we have left. But in any case, alcohol-based fuels are
      going to be difficult to make, so the whole thing might be moot; but who
      knows what companies are going to come up with before that time? It is
      certainly worth keeping a look-out.
      Best regards,
      Helena.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi, Mike:
        Could you please explain a bit more about that? What exactly do you mean by
        pulling the resins out of herbs, etc.? How would that be done, and will it
        be possible after the p.s., with our state of technology?
        Best regards,
        Helena.
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2001
          What Mike is referring to is that alcohol can be (and is) used to extract the
          oils and resins out of herbs--as in a tincture of sorts. Most flavorings and a
          few of the scent oils are extracts in this manner.

          Roger

          helena wrote:

          > Hi, Mike:
          > Could you please explain a bit more about that? What exactly do you mean by
          > pulling the resins out of herbs, etc.? How would that be done, and will it
          > be possible after the p.s., with our state of technology?
          > Best regards,
          > Helena.

          "True hearts have eyes and ears, no tongues to speak,
          They hear, and see, and sigh, and then they break."
          Sir Edward Dyer
        • helena
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi, Ray:
            Thanks. I think alcohol is going to be pretty difficult to produce anyway;
            but it seems to me, from all I have been getting lately, that the important
            thing is to modify the Diesel or gasoline engines before using it. I am
            assuming this would reduce the corrosion. Am I right about that?
            Best regards,
            Helena.
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2001
              helena wrote:

              > Hi, Mike:
              > Could you please explain a bit more about that? What exactly do you mean by
              > pulling the resins out of herbs, etc.? How would that be done, and will it
              > be possible after the p.s., with our state of technology?

              Most definably possible, and not high tech. Put cut up roots, branches,
              leaves, flowers, seeds, or what ever you choose in a closed container
              with alcohol (the drinking kind). Use only enough alcohol to cover the
              herb. Shake it once or more a day for a minimum of 14 days (or one can
              let it sit much longer in fact I wait until I need it - it becomes even
              stronger) and squeeze off as much of the liquid as you can and you have
              a medicinal tincture ready to use. Usually one uses a fine mesh cloth
              to filter out the large partials and to squeeze the liquid out. If it's
              not strong enough one does a second batch of cut or ground herb using
              the squeezed liquid result of the first batch as if it were fresh
              Alcohol.

              Echinacea for example is a good immune system booster and a good
              candidate to do this with. Can use all parts of the plant to make a
              tincture, the root is especially good.

              One does need a source of Alcohol to do this. I have done this with
              many types of herbs. I described this in more detail a few years back
              and it is up on the web some place..

              MikeL
            • helena
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
                Thanks, Roger!
                Best regards,
                helena.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
                  Hi, Mike:
                  I remember all your herb stuff, used it extensively when I was making up the
                  first part of the Booklet! But this description is fine. thanks.
                  Best regards,
                  Helena.