Fw: RFC - Conversion of TamilKDE/TamilGnome from TSCII to TAB.

  • Mani M. Manivannan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2001
      From: "Dinesh Nadarajah" <n_dinesh@...>
      To: <tamilinix@yahoogroups.com>; <wg07infitt@yahoogroups.com>; <wg01-infitt-experts@yahoogroups.com>; <INFITT_NorthAmerica@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 12:13 PM
      Subject: [wg01-infitt-experts] RFC - Conversion of TamilKDE/TamilGnome from TSCII to TAB.

      > After much head scratching, we the TamilKDE and
      > TamilGnome translation teams are considering
      > switching the encoding of the translation files
      > from the TSCII to TAB. The main reason for this
      > (from our perspective) is that TSCII is not in full
      > compliance with theiso-8859-xx encoding standards and hence many
      > applications (both new and old new ones)
      > have diffculty in displaying/printing characters in
      > the 'special' slots from 128 to 161.
      >
      > We have not heard anything of the TAB 2.0 standard
      > that is supposed to
      > merge the two and provide a single guidance point,
      > but then we have no
      > clue as to the form of TAB 2.0. Is it going to be
      > TSCII like or TAB
      > like? Have they taken into account the 128-161 range
      > issue. Is the new
      > encoding going to be standadized as a iso-8859-xx
      > standard for Tamil
      > (that would be very welcome). What effect will
      > TAB 2.0 have on the Tamil Unicode block?
      >
      > We have not finalized our this dicision. We would
      > like to hear more about this from the greater
      > Tamil/Linux/Unix community and if possible shed
      > some light on
      > these issues. We would also appreciate some guidance
      > from those of you who are involved in the
      > standards work.
      >
      > Thanks & Regards,
      >
      > TamilKDE and TamilGnome
    • Lak Sri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2001
        Dear Sir,

        I would like to bring your attention to repetitive information such as
        these in most 8859 discussions.

        One of them from
        http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/internationalization/iso-8859-1-charset.html
        --- Quote --
        ISO 8859-X character
        sets use the characters 0xa0 through 0xff to represent national
        characters, while the characters in the 0x20-0x7f range are those used
        in the US-ASCII (ISO 646) character set. Thus, ASCII text is a proper
        subset of all ISO 8859-X character sets.

        The characters 0x80 through 0x9f are earmarked as extended control
        chracters, and are not used for encoding characters. These characters
        are not currently used to specify anything. A practical reason for
        this is interoperability with 7 bit devices (or when the 8th bit gets
        stripped by faulty software). Devices would then interpret the character
        as some control character and put the device in an undefined state.
        (When the 8th bit gets stripped from the characters at 0xa0 to 0xff, a
        wrong character is represented, but this cannot change the state of a
        terminal or other device.)
        -- End Quote --

        http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/drmcpal/html/zeichensatz.htm#iexentity
        --- Quote --
        They are in the region -Ÿ and are not supported by Netscape. For
        the ™ entity however, Netscape will only understand ™,
        -- End Quote --

        Personal observation:
        If swapping nku,nkU,nsu,nsU to safe areas is possible without affecting
        "very much" the exisiting softwares, it might be useful.

        Regards,
        Lak Sri

        "K. Kalyanasundaram" <kalyan@...> on 07/07/2001 12:51:30 AM

        Please respond to tscii@yahoogroups.com

        To: tscii@yahoogroups.com, muthu@..., mmanivannan@...
        cc:
        Subject: Re: [tscii] Fw: RFC - Conversion of TamilKDE/TamilGnome from
        TSCII to TAB.

        Dear Mani:.
        I do not fully understand the reasons behind
        the claims of Nadarajah on TSCII.

        > After much head scratching, we the TamilKDE and
        > TamilGnome translation teams are considering
        > switching the encoding of the translation files
        > from the TSCII to TAB. The main reason for this
        > (from our perspective) is that TSCII is not in full
        > compliance with the iso-8859-xx encoding standards
        > and hence many applications (both new and old new ones)
        > have diffculty in displaying/printing characters in
        > the 'special' slots from 128 to 161.

        As with WG4 discussions, Nadarajah is very vague
        in his statements without citing specifics on the
        problems if any. I wonder if Nadarajah and co
        did go through TSCII discussions archive and
        whether their worries are based on their own
        findings.

        If the worries are based on their own findings,
        I would like to hear the details first. These
        will certainly help proposed revisions ofTSCII.

        It is my understanding that, only some of the
        slots in rows 8 and 9 cause problems and not the
        entire block of slots 128-159. ANSI encoding, for
        one uses nearly half othe slots of rows 8 and9.

        During the TSCII discussions we did discuss these
        issues and placed Tamil glyphs in the safe slots
        and filled Tamil numerals alone in the "risky"
        slots. So, IMHO, if at all there are problems
        they should arise only in the handling of the
        Tamil numerals.

        I also do not understand the arguments if any
        as to why any language encoding has to follow
        ISO 8859-x schemes. There are other officially
        recognized encodings like those of Russian KOI8-R
        and Vietnamase, MacRoman which use rows 8 and 9.

        Kalyan