TSCII Status

  • thamizkannan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2003
      Hi.

      I'm interested in finding out the status of TSCII as far as being the
      Tamil font standard. What I've been able to find out is the TSCII is
      now at version 1.7. Also, TSCII and TAB are supposed to be
      integrated together into one standard.

      Can anyone tell me if the information I've posted is accurate and
      also fill me in on what more is being done?

      Thank you.
      Raja
    • Muthu Nedumaran
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
        Raja,

        1. TSCII's current version is 1.7 and there are no plans to revise this.
        2. TSCII and TAB are the only two 8bit standards recommended by INFITT
        (http://www.infitt.org) and the efforts to integrated the two are no longer
        in place.
        3. Unicode is seen as the "Unified" encoding for Tamil and many initiatives
        are moving in this direction.

        Hope this helps.

        ~ MUTHU

        > I'm interested in finding out the status of TSCII as far as being the
        > Tamil font standard. What I've been able to find out is the TSCII is
        > now at version 1.7. Also, TSCII and TAB are supposed to be
        > integrated together into one standard.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me if the information I've posted is accurate and
        > also fill me in on what more is being done?
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Raja

      • Thamiz Kannan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
          Hi Muthu.

          --- Muthu Nedumaran <muthu@...> wrote:
          > Raja,
          >
          > 1. TSCII's current version is 1.7 and there are no
          > plans to revise this.

          Good. If there are no plans for revising then that
          means all involved parties agreed that version 1.7 met
          their standards.

          Just out of curiosity, where can a developer find
          information about the standard so that any software
          they make conforms to TSCII 1.7?

          > 2. TSCII and TAB are the only two 8bit standards
          > recommended by INFITT (http://www.infitt.org) and
          the efforts to integrated the two are no longer in
          place.

          I'm sorry to hear that. I guess the parties just
          couldn't come to an agreement on the integrated
          version.

          > 3. Unicode is seen as the "Unified" encoding for
          > Tamil and many initiatives are moving in this
          direction.

          A few questions.

          1. Will TSCII and TAB be used for 8 bit encoding and
          Unicode for 16, 32 etc?

          2. Where can I find progress reports on where the
          unicode standard is heading?

          3. Does the software developing Tamil public know of
          the decisions you have just told me? Put another way,
          am I the only one ignorant of the decisions :)

          > Hope this helps.

          You certainly have.

          > ~ MUTHU

          Regards,
          Raja

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • Muthu Nedumaran
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2003
            Raja,

            My comments below:

            ~ MUTHU

            > > 1. TSCII's current version is 1.7 and there are no
            > > plans to revise this.
            >
            > Good. If there are no plans for revising then that
            > means all involved parties agreed that version 1.7 met
            > their standards.

            We had an agreement in this list shortly after Tamil Internet 2001. Members
            voted to accept the change from 1.6 to 1.7 (which was to add a new location
            for ikaram and have the font names "start" with TSC).

            http://www.tamil.net/tscii. Tools and fonts can also be found at

            > > 2. TSCII and TAB are the only two 8bit standards
            > > recommended by INFITT (http://www.infitt.org) and
            > the efforts to integrated the two are no longer in
            > place.
            >
            > I'm sorry to hear that. I guess the parties just
            > couldn't come to an agreement on the integrated
            > version.

            The two encoding formats had many incompatibilities and an integration could
            not be realised without breaking continuity. Also, since Unicode was at
            sight, it was felt that the focus should be put on that instead. Developers
            were encouraged to write and publish converters to help move text between
            the two formats - many contributed - http://infitt.org/converters. See also
            the "technology" section in the KL Communique
            http://infitt.org/ti2001/english/klcommunique_english.asp

            > > 3. Unicode is seen as the "Unified" encoding for
            > > Tamil and many initiatives are moving in this
            > direction.
            >
            > A few questions.
            >
            > 1. Will TSCII and TAB be used for 8 bit encoding and
            > Unicode for 16, 32 etc?

            Yes.

            > 2. Where can I find progress reports on where the
            > unicode standard is heading?

            http://www.unicode.org. INFITT has a working group for the Tamil Unicode
            block and the works are published in their monthly reports - see
            http://www.infitt.org/wg/WG02_March2003.doc

            > 3. Does the software developing Tamil public know of
            > the decisions you have just told me? Put another way,
            > am I the only one ignorant of the decisions :)

            I like to think that most people know this ;-)

            > > Hope this helps.
            > >
            > You certainly have.
            >
            > > ~ MUTHU
            >
            > Regards,
            > Raja
          • Sinnathurai Srivas
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9, 2003
              I tried to bring in a legal action to unify TSCII and
              TAB IN THE PAST. My view now is, It is not worth to
              talk about TSCII and TAB. These are dying encodings.
              Any developers spend their time on TSC or TAB is
              waisting their time and efforts. This goes for the
              government too.

              There are converters already avaialble to convert to
              unicode. More and variety of converting needs may be
              considered by developers. Nothing else is needed that
              utilises TAB/TSC/Bamini.

              Muthu mentiioned about naming Murasu Anjal Style, the
              essense of the romanising principle was used during
              the times of Zenith and BBC computers (before PC took
              over)by Avarangal. We discussed at the TSCII
              delibrations about partly processed patent application
              by me and discussed also about making this an open
              source. Nalinam also claimes inovation of this
              technology.

              I did recognise that in usage wise, Anjal style was
              used in the market a lot. So we decided to call it
              Anjal style, even with opsosition, we made it open
              source. I'm glad to hear that muthu also is agreeing
              to making this romainsed/anjal/avarangal/nalinam an
              open source. We do not see a need for changing Anjal
              Style to Murasu Anjal Style.

              I've also made some minor modification to Anjal style
              with Unicode Driver. I'll gradually bring this mater
              to INFITT's attention for approval.

              Srivas

            • Muthu Nedumaran
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9, 2003
                Srivas,

                I did not mention anything about Anjal in this list.

                ~ MUTHU

                > I tried to bring in a legal action to unify TSCII and
                > TAB IN THE PAST. My view now is, It is not worth to
                > talk about TSCII and TAB. These are dying encodings.
                > Any developers spend their time on TSC or TAB is
                > waisting their time and efforts. This goes for the
                > government too.
                >
                > There are converters already avaialble to convert to
                > unicode. More and variety of converting needs may be
                > considered by developers. Nothing else is needed that
                > utilises TAB/TSC/Bamini.
                >
                > Muthu mentiioned about naming Murasu Anjal Style, the
                > essense of the romanising principle was used during
                > the times of Zenith and BBC computers (before PC took
                > over)by Avarangal. We discussed at the TSCII
                > delibrations about partly processed patent application
                > by me and discussed also about making this an open
                > source. Nalinam also claimes inovation of this
                > technology.
                >
                > I did recognise that in usage wise, Anjal style was
                > used in the market a lot. So we decided to call it
                > Anjal style, even with opsosition, we made it open
                > source. I'm glad to hear that muthu also is agreeing
                > to making this romainsed/anjal/avarangal/nalinam an
                > open source. We do not see a need for changing Anjal
                > Style to Murasu Anjal Style.
                >
                > I've also made some minor modification to Anjal style
                > with Unicode Driver. I'll gradually bring this mater
                > to INFITT's attention for approval.
                >
                > Srivas
                >

                > --- Muthu Nedumaran <muthu@...> wrote: > Raja,
                > >
                > > My comments below:
                > >
                > > ~ MUTHU

              • Sinnathurai Srivas
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9, 2003
                  Muthu,

                  I'll forward this ti tamilinix, where you posted a
                  response relating to Anjal.
                  Message relating to TSC Iintended for here), will also
                  be posted forwarded.

                  Thank you for pointing the descrpensies in reply to.

                  Srivas

                  === message truncated ===

                • Ibrahim, Muthalif Sayed
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 9, 2003
                    Hello friends...

                    oru chinna doubt...
                    ella yaetho pasikiraanga... maila..
                    ana yaetha pathinu thaan thayriyalla...
                    tamil linux...anjal.....
                    yaraachu help pannnungalaen..please..

                    with regards
                    Entrum Anbudan
                    Ms ibrahim
                  • suratha
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9, 2003
                      vanakkam

                      ethu intresto atha maddumpaarunga.ellam puriyum
                      anjal =http://www.murasu.com poi
                      aarampathilirunthu aarampiyunga..
                      aduththathu TSC

                      http://www.tscii.org/

                      ithu 2 m passunaall linux pakkam pokalam

                      anbudan
                      suratha

                      --- In tscii@yahoogroups.com, "Ibrahim, Muthalif