Re: [tscii] Regarding the TSCII encoded Tamil Pages

  • Jagan Mohanan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25 9:22 PM
      --- On Thu, 16/6/11, Babu Rajendran <babu.geet@...> wrote:

      From: Babu Rajendran <babu.geet@...>
      Subject: [tscii] Regarding the TSCII encoded Tamil Pages
      To: tscii@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, 16 June, 2011, 10:17 PM

      Hi,
        I have ubuntu linux system, i am not able to view TSCII encoded tamil
      pages (Example from Project Madurai website)
      If anybody has experience, kindly give me detail steps.

      --
      Thanks & Regards

      Babu.R

      Try using the attached application. It might work.
      Jagan.

    • Jagan Mohanan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25 9:26 PM
          I have ubuntu linux system, i am not able to view TSCII encoded tamil
        pages (Example from Project Madurai website)
        If anybody has experience, kindly give me detail steps.

        --
        Thanks & Regards

        Babu.R

        The zip file I sent is for windows. I am sorry I did not notice that your OS was Linux .
        Jagan.

      • nandhitha kaapiyan
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2011
          respected sir
          pl try this site to convert tscii to unicode
          regards
          nandhithahttp://jaffnalibrary.com/tools/tamilconverter.htm

          ________________________________
            I have ubuntu linux system, i am not able to view TSCII encoded tamil
          pages (Example from Project Madurai website)
          If anybody has experience, kindly give me detail steps.

          --
          Thanks & Regards

          Babu.R

        • Col S Muralidharan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2011
            hi babu,

            I use ubuntu 10.04.
            I don't remember doing anything special to view tamil fonts
            I am able to read in Unicode mode but not in TSCII code.

            regards

            murali

            On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Jagan Mohanan <jaganmohanang@...>wrote:

            > **

            Muralidharan

          • Seenu
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2011
              Dear Member,
              I request you to open the following links, if and when you
              have the time and patience. One will help you downlosd
              "Pongu Thamizh" Font-converter and the other to
              NHM Font-converter:

              http://www.suratha.com/reader.htm

              http://microblog.ravidreams.net/2008/05/nhm-converter-tamil-font-encoding-converter/

              --- In tscii@yahoogroups.com, Babu Rajendran <babu.geet@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I have ubuntu linux system, i am not able to view TSCII encoded tamil
              > pages (Example from Project Madurai website)
              > If anybody has experience, kindly give me detail steps.
              >
              > --
              > Thanks & Regards
              >
              > Babu.R

            • கா. சேது | කා. සේත
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2011
                Of the solutions offered by Seenu, the NHM Converter is for Windows
                platform only. Here Babu Rajendran's request is for viewing TSCII web
                content from Ubuntu Linux.

                The other solution of Pongu Tamil can be used in any platform via a
                browser. But that method is copying from the surfed page and pasting
                to Pongu Tamil converter site.

                More convenient solution is using a converter extension if available
                to your browser so that the conversion to Unicode is carried out while
                staying in the surfed site.

                If you use Firefox or any other Mozilla based browser then there are
                Adhiyan and Paduma extensions I know of. I use the Adhiyan which is
                at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adhiyan/ . Go to
                this site from your Firefox (or any other Mozilla based browser) ,
                install the extension, restart the browser.

                When you visit a site wherein the content is in TSCII (or one of some
                other non Unicode encoding such as TAB, TAM, TUNE,...)

                1. In your mouse Right click on that page and in the menu that
                emerges, look at the bottom of the list for "Adhiyan" ("அதியன்' if you
                are using Tamil interface) and press it and choose TSCII (or any other
                encoding relevant to the site you visited) to Unicode conversion.

                2. Even after pressing converter most likely you still may not see the
                content readable. If so now press the menu command "View" and in the
                drop-down list press "Character Encoding" and change it to Western
                (ISO-8859-1) or Western (Windows-1252). Then in most cases it will
                become readable (in Unicode)

                3) If even after above step the content is not readable then most
                likely the web site consists of "Frames". Right click (on an area you
                want to convert and read first) and press in the emerged menu press
                "This Frame" and from the opened menu choose either "Show only this
                Frame" or "Open Frame in New Tab" or "Open Frame in New Window). Now
                most likely converted should be readable. If not still, for the
                choices between Western (ISO-8859-1) and Western (Windows-1252) change
                to the one from the other you were having

                If even after step 3 visited site does not become readable to you
                please post to this list the site URL. I would like to test it.

                K. Sethu
              • Col S Muralidharan
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2011
                  thanks seenu; but it looks like an exe file for Windows !
                  murali

                  On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Seenu <seenufour@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Dear Member,
                  > I request you to open the following links, if and when you
                  > have the time and patience. One will help you downlosd
                  > "Pongu Thamizh" Font-converter and the other to
                  > NHM Font-converter:
                  >
                  > http://www.suratha.com/reader.htm
                  >

                  > http://microblog.ravidreams.net/2008/05/nhm-converter-tamil-font-encoding-converter/
                  >

                  > --- In tscii@yahoogroups.com, Babu Rajendran <babu.geet@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > I have ubuntu linux system, i am not able to view TSCII encoded tamil
                  > > pages (Example from Project Madurai website)
                  > > If anybody has experience, kindly give me detail steps.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Thanks & Regards
                  > >
                  > > Babu.R

                  Muralidharan

                • Venkatram Shrinivas.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 10, 2011
                    Dear Sir,In addition to "Ponguthamizh" website you will also find the following website quite useful.
                    http://software.nhm.in/%c2%a0 (New Horizon Software-writer-converter)

                    I shall be thankful to receive your feedback on this mail.
                    Thank You & God Bless You
                    சீனிவாசன் (வயது எண்பது)

                  • Kalakad Nambi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2011
                      Dear Shri Srinivasan,
                      Thanks for introducing to us two good web sites.
                      Nambi (73 வயது)

                      Dr.K.S.V.NAMBI (Ex-Head, Environmental Assessment Division, BARC, Mumbai) D-95, 6th Cross Street, Maharajanagar, Tirunelveli (T.N.) - 627011 INDIA Tel: (0462)2585920 Cell phone :94433 85920 Email : ksvnambi@... or <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:drksv.nambi@...">drksv.nambi@...</a>

                      >Dear Sir,In addition to "Ponguthamizh" website you will also find the following website quite useful.
                      >http://software.nhm.in/%c2%a0 (New Horizon Software-writer-converter)
                      >
                      >I shall be thankful to receive your feedback on this mail.
                      >Thank You & God Bless You
                      >சீனிவாசன் (வயது எண்பது)

                    • Anbukkarasu Arasu
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 13, 2011
                        Thank U Venkat.

                        Anbukkarasu

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 7, 2012
                          --- In tscii@yahoogroups.com, Babu Rajendran <babu.geet@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > I have ubuntu linux system, i am not able to view TSCII encoded tamil
                          > pages (Example from Project Madurai website)
                          > If anybody has experience, kindly give me detail steps.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Thanks & Regards
                          >
                          > Babu.R

                        • Natarajan N
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 9, 2012
                            Just google for Font +(whatever font family u r looking for)I saw Ubuntu URL with fonts downloadable.
                            good wishes

                            N Natarajan

                            http://science-of-good-living.blogspot.com/

                            http://science-of-spirituality.blogspot.com/

                            http://sprituality-is-knowledge.blogspot.com/

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 9, 2012
                              Which version of ubuntu it is ?

                              Can you do:
                              apt-get update; apt-cache search tamil;
                              and send out the output ? I think the tamil fonts should already be there in the repositories.

                              - Ram