Replacing Grantham in Tamil

  • Sinnathurai Srivas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2005
      There has been a truce to investigate the Tamil Grammar and the addition of further phonemes in the form of new characters.

      Grantham was intruding into Tamil by breaking Grammar and Tamil culture and the sophisticated nature of Tamil writing system.

      But there was a truce and now Grantham has started to erode into Tamil again, breaking fundamental rules in chapter one of our sophisticated Grammar, the worlds earliest written, still surviving highly technical grammar Tolkaappiyam.

      Tamil writing is based on

      ALPHABET BASED PHONEMIC SYSTEM.

      Grantham is based on

      PHONEMIC ONLY SYSTEM.

      There is a big clash in these two fundamental different systems.

      Grantham cannot handle all phonemes that are found in everyday use of Tamil.

      We do not nee hundreds of different characters/ezuthukaL to represent each and every of those hundreds of phonemes that are found in Tamil.

      For this reason we have to reject the contradicting Grantham from Tamil, as Grantham is on the attack again.

      Tamil writing system is very simple but highly sophisticated and technical advanced. Tamil is based on the worlds earliest written Grammar with highly sophisticated structure.

      For this reason we must begin to deprecate Grantham, which is highly contradicting and highly inferior in terms of technical Tamil.

      In order to expand on the Tamil grammar the diacritic system should be used. In order to obey Tamil Grammar, the added Granthams should be removed from Tamil.

      Let's begin replacing Grantham characters in Tamil with Tamil characters identified with diacritic markers.

      We will need to consider how to handle natural sorting with Tamil diacritics and sorting with Grantham Tamil as defined by Unicode. I'll write about this later.

      For a start on Tamil diacritics, see
      http://www.geocities.com/avarangal/mey.gif

      சின்னத்துரை சிறீவாஸ்

    • Mani Arjunamani
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2005
        Hello Sinnathurai Srivas,

        Your research and conclusions are interesting and important to all Tamils. But, I am unable to understand the issues in detail.

        Could you please explain the following?

        1. You say “Grantham was intruding into Tamil by breaking Grammar and Tamil culture and the sophisticated nature of Tamil writing system”. Could you please give a couple of examples?
        2. Could you please explain (with one or two simple exaples) how Tamil, which is based on “ALPHABET BASED PHONEMIC SYSTEM.

        Differs from Grantham which is is based on PHONEMIC ONLY SYSTEM.

        3. How can we recognise / identify the Grantham usage in Tamil?

        I am new to this group and not a linguistic student. So, my questions may not be appropriate for this group. If that is the case, could you please direct me to appropriate references that will help me to understand ALPHABET BASED PHONEMIC SYSTEM and PHONEMIC ONLY SYSTEM.

        Thanks

        Anbudan

        Arjunamani, M
      • Sinnathurai Srivas
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
          [Moderator's Note]: I request the posters interested in this topic to continue this thread in Tamil Araichchi group where an unbroken conversation can happen. Thanks. - Mani

          Dear Mani Arjunamani,

          There is a theory; by Grantham we only mean the Grantham characters. We do not mean Sanskrit. Some do not subscribe to this view and believe that Grantham==Sanskrit. In this mail by Grantham I meant characters only. Though I have numerous examples of Euro-based Sanskrit vocabulary intrude into Tamil, similar to very large number of Tamil based vocabulary was the basis of Sanskrit, I'll postpone this part, if you meant this of which you asked for recognise...

          Grantham Characters.

          By breaking the pause, by introducing yet another "sh" character into Tamil, the time has come to re examine the whole process of intent to introduce whole set of Grantham characters to Tamil. The new sh is just a beginning of second round.

          Alphabet does not always represent the related sound. English a==a, a==a==a=
          , e==a, a==e, u==a, ur==a, etc.. k==k, c==k, etc..Alphabet represents a writing system.

          Phonemic: Each letter in a phonemic system represents a sound. In this system, (unless all thousands of known phonemes are written), only the major sounds are represented with limited number os characters. Example, in Grantham there is no R as in Run, no T as in Tom, ch2 as in nenjchu

          Alphabet based Phonemic: Note this is a term coined by my self. You can discuss and analyse about this at Tamil_Araichchi, if you so desire. In essence, each character in Tamil Alphabet represents a large number of related sounds. Phonemic means, not all sounds are used in Tamil but those that used are numerous.

          Example

          T as in tom. aaRRam karai/aaTTam karai

          aram

          aRam

          makkaL

          mahaL

          magan/mahan

          and so on.

          Phonemic only: A character intended to represent a single sound. such as s==s, sh==sh, ssh==ssh. So in this system ch2 as in nenchu is not allowed.

          Introducing Phonemic only system to alphabet based phonemic system becomes contradictory actions.

          the best way would be to expand the identification of the phonemes using Tamil Diacritics.

          So if some one says it is mahan we mark it as h. If some one say magan, we mark it as g. We do not restrict the use, while we expand and accommodate the understanding in clear terms.

          JazpaaNam or yazpaaNam can be identified with diacritics. Jaya and yaja can be identified with diacritics, etc...

          Sinnathurai