for project

  • malaichamy_p_k
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2004
      i am in need of tamil fonts algorithms for my project.if any one have
      please send the algorithms.then how to design tamil fonts?.
      thank you,
      wish you happy new year.
    • prathiba dhinakaran
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005

        HI..
        ther are many software tools for designing new fonts...
        fontmanager,fontmonger,fontdesigner,fontographer...
        Prathiba
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 malaichamy_p_k wrote :

        >i am in need of tamil fonts algorithms for my project.if any one have
        >please send the algorithms.then how to design tamil fonts?.
        > thank you,
      • M K Saravanan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
          malaichamy_p_k wrote:

          > i am in need of tamil fonts algorithms for my project.if any one have
          > please send the algorithms.then how to design tamil fonts?.

          before designing any fonts, you need to understand the basic theory of "digital typography" first. The following books will help you to start your journey:

          1) Digital Typography
          by Donald E. Knuth (Stanford, California: Center for the Study of Language and Information, 1999), xvi+685pp.
          (CSLI Lecture Notes, no. 78.)
          ISBN 1-57586-010-4

          2) Computers and Typesetting - Volume C, The METAFONTbook
          by Donald E. Knuth (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1986), xii+361pp.
          ISBN 0-201-13445-4

          3) Computers and Typesetting - Volume E, Computer Modern Typefaces
          by Donald E. Knuth (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1986), xvi+588pp.
          ISBN 0-201-13446-2

          The followings books are worth reading though not a must:

          (All by Donald E. Knuth)

          Computers and Typesetting series:

          Volume A, The TeXbook (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1984), x+483pp.
          ISBN 0-201-13447-0

          Volume B, TeX: The Program (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1986), xviii+600pp.
          ISBN 0-201-13437-3

          Volume D, METAFONT: The Program (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1986), xviii+566pp.
          ISBN 0-201-13438-1

          -- mks --