Revision of TSCII encoding

  • Sivaraj D
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
      Dear Friends:

      One of the important decisions of INFITT announced at TI2001
      conference was recognition of TAB and TSCII as the two most
      widely used 8-bit bilingual glyph encodings on the Net and
      recommendation that these two encodings alone be used from now
      on in all Tamil information interchange through the Net
      (TAM recommended for cases where monolingual encoding usage
      is deemed necessary).

      It was also suggested during the meetings that, if there are
      any problems being faced in the existing encodings, the people
      with experience in those encodings may discuss those problems
      and suggest backward compatible changes to those encodings.

      It is time now for people involved in TSCII efforts to engage
      in discussions as to whether TSCII in the present form,
      version 1.6 (for details see the gif at
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5180/charset16.gif )
      is adequate for all our needs or should be revised.

      TSCII mailing list and TSCII website

      Discussions on TSCII revision will take place from now on in
      the mailing list <tscii@yahoogroups.com>. This will be the
      last posting on this topic copied to all Tamil mailing lists.

      Archives of the list <tscii@yahoogroups.com> will be open for
      all those interested to follow the discussions (currently
      archive open only to members but this will be changed).
      Those interested to participate in the TSCII revision
      discussions should sign up by visiting yahoo site
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tscii/

      We now have the domain name <www.tscii.org> registered and
      this site will be used to provide all information related to
      TSCII encoding. Existing site <www.tamil.net/tscii> will
      continue as a mirror site.

      Problems of TSCII encoding

      TSCII has been in use widely for nearly four years without
      major problems in several modes of information interchange
      such as emails, mailing lists, websites, pdf files and desktop
      publishing in three major computer platforms (windows,
      macintosh and unix).

      One persistent problem noticed during the past two years is
      handling of third uyir letter "i" (encoded slot # 173) in some
      of the key Microsoft application softwares running under
      Windows OS (e.g. Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and MS Word).
      Even today Sun Star Office package of Win OS handles TSCII
      cleanly. The above problem is due to over-riding of "i" at the
      unprotected slot (#173) of soft-hyphen of win-1252/ANSI schemes.

      One other documented problem noted is bad word-break that occurs
      (right after the uyirmei letter "thu" when Tamil Texts are used
      in justified format during DTP publishing in MS-Word and related
      softwares. This is the outcome of using shrink-wrap softwares
      created for English (Latin-1/win-1252 charset) language market
      for Tamil Language.

      If you know of any other problems of TSCII, please post them in
      the mailing list immediately.

      Proposed Revision of TSCII

      To accelerate the process, Muthu Nedumaran, Manivannan, Kalyan,
      Sivaraj and Ravindran Paul met at KL right after the TI2001
      conference and reviewed possible options to take care of the
      above problems.

      Given the large number of user-base and significant amount of
      Tamil database generated during the past four years for TSCII
      (e.g. Project Madurai, aaraamthinai website, numerous mailing
      lists), a preferred option is to go for some minor revision
      (version 1.7), one that will take care of the "i" problem.

      One possibility here is to move "i" to the vacant slot #254.
      Of course, such a shifting of a single "uyir" will break the
      natural ordering (neTungkaNNu varisai) of uyirs in the scheme.
      In our view, a single exception case can be adequately handled
      in search, sorting routines (Tamil sorting in any case cannot
      be done using that of ASCII).

      Keeping "i" in the current slot (173) but as a DEPRECATED glyph
      will allow access to the entire database generated till date.
      (A deprecated glyph is one that will be present in all font
      faces corresponding to revised TSCII but whose usage in any
      applications or OS is forbidden. Its presence is solely for
      backward compatibility reasons. Unicode revision of characters
      is done in this manner- no characters are deleted during
      revision).

      Regarding bad word-break occurring right after "thu", it is
      our opinion that this problem can be handled in dedicated Tamil
      software and does not require reshuffling of the entire slot
      allocations.

      It is also proposed that, font-faces prepared according to
      the revised (version 1.7) scheme will carry "TSC" as a prefix,
      rather than as suffix currently in use. Thus fonts of TSCII
      1.7 scheme are to be named as TSCxxxxx where xxxxx is the name
      of the font-face. Placing TSC in the prefix (as in TAB fonts)
      allow fonts of a given encoding all to appear together in
      the font selection menu.

      Above suggestions are some starters to begin discussions.
      So please feel free to comment on these and alternatives.

      Muthu Nedumaran
      K. Kalyanasundaram
      M. Manivannan
      D. Sivaraj
      Ravindran K. Paul

    • Kumar Mallikarjunan
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
        Sivaraj:

        It is the time we should critically look into the problems.
        I have seen reports of missing ¬ (A), the second uyir in
        many situations. Although the word break problem with "thu" is
        not a serious issue, it have to looked into as well.
        In this regard, working toward a better solution (TSCII 2.0),
        may be we should open up the discussions in detail.

        I fully agree with an interim TSCII 1.7 soultion.

        If we all agree with this, I will send Keyman 5.0 keyboard files
        to all of you to test. I just have them made today.

        Kumar.

        At 9/28/2001 08:19 PM +0000, Sivaraj D wrote:
> [...]
        >is done in this manner- no characters are deleted during
        >revision).
        >
        >Regarding bad word-break occurring right after "thu", it is
        >our opinion that this problem can be handled in dedicated Tamil
        >software and does not require reshuffling of the entire slot
        >allocations.
        >
        >It is also proposed that, font-faces prepared according to
        >the revised (version 1.7) scheme will carry "TSC" as a prefix,
        >rather than as suffix currently in use. Thus fonts of TSCII
        >1.7 scheme are to be named as TSCxxxxx where xxxxx is the name
        >of the font-face. Placing TSC in the prefix (as in TAB fonts)
        >allow fonts of a given encoding all to appear together in
        >the font selection menu.
        >
        >Above suggestions are some starters to begin discussions.
        >So please feel free to comment on these and alternatives.

        Kumar Mallikarjunan, Ph.D.
        Assistant Professor
        Biological Systems Engineering Department
        312 Seitz Hall, Virginia Tech
        Blacksburg, VA 24060
        Ph: 540-231-7937 Fax: 540-231-3199
        email: kumar@...
      • sivaraj_d@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
          --- In tscii@y..., Kumar Mallikarjunan <kumar@v...> wrote:
          <cut>
          > I fully agree with an interim TSCII 1.7 soultion.
          >
          > If we all agree with this, I will send Keyman 5.0 keyboard files
          > to all of you to test. I just have them made today.

          Kumar, we can upload the test files in the Files section
          of 'tscii' Yahoo! Groups. This way it will be easily
          accessible to all.

          -Sivaraj.
        • K. Kalyanasundaram
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
            Dear Kumar:

            First an appeal. Please confine all discussions on TSCII revisions
            to a single list, this one <tscii@yahoogroups.com> so that the
            postings are not scattered. Those who are subscribed to this list
            should be directed to contact moderator of this list
            Manivannan <mmanivannan@...> to enable their subscription.

            > It is the time we should critically look into the problems.
            > I have seen reports of missing ¬ (A), the second uyir in
            > many situations. Although the word break problem with "thu" is
            > not a serious issue, it have to looked into as well.

            Can you please be more specific in describing the actual problem
            if any with the second uyir letter "A/aa" ( citing the application,
            software, platform, specific examples etc) ?

            > In this regard, working toward a better solution (TSCII 2.0),
            > may be we should open up the discussions in detail.
            >
            > I fully agree with an interim TSCII 1.7 soultion.

            Font encodings are very basic standards and we cannot afford
            to engage in revisions every now and then. There should be
            (will be?) only a single revision of TSCII for several years
            to come.

            If all known/existing problems with TSCII are documented now,
            then it will be easier to decide if the revision should be at
            the level of 1.7 or 2.0.

            If I may, I would like to propose a deadline for our discussions:

            end of Oct 2001 : round up discussions and agreement on the
            actual conent of revised TSCII (1.7 or 2.0)

            end of nov 2001 : distribution of relevant font faces, text editors,
            text convertors and end of field-testing of revised TSCII on all
            possible application scenarios

            1 Jan 2002 onwards: All TSCII usage on the Net be on the proposed
            revised TSCII scheme ONLY ;-)

            Kalyan

            PS: a point of clarification on the recent posting of Muguntharaj.
            only a single proposal A is on the table as regards to 1.7.
          • S.Muguntharaj
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
              Dear Kalyan ,
              Thanks for pointing this out.
              The file for proposal B, is removed from the egroups
              page.
              The file "charset17_a.gif" which represents the
              proposed encoding as of now,is kept in the egroups
              page. If any other changes are proposed, let us update
              this file accordingly.

              Thanks for coming out with a time table for the
              standards revision.

              Anbudan,
              Mugunth
              Tamil Innaiya Erumbugal
              www.tamil.net/newtamil

              > PS: a point of clarification on the recent posting
              > of Muguntharaj.
              > only a single proposal A is on the table as regards
              > to 1.7.

              http://phone.yahoo.com
            • Kalyanasundaram
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                Dear Friends:

                > First an appeal. Please confine all discussions on TSCII revisions
                > to a single list, this one <tscii@y...> so that the
                > postings are not scattered. Those who are subscribed to this list
                > should be directed to contact moderator of this list
                > Manivannan <mmanivannan@e...> to enable their subscription.

                A small correction on the second line. It should read: "Those who
                are interested to participate in (or simply follow up) TSCII revision
                discussions should be directed to contact moderator of this list
                Mr. Manivannan <mmanivannan@...> to enable their
                subscription.

                sorry for the errors.

                Kalyan
              • Sinnathurai Srivas
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                  There is a problem with cut/copy and paste (in windows).

                  If we do a proper test of cut/copy and paste (of words, paragraphs, other
                  combinations) we may pinpoint which characters are causing problems.I think
                  the A/aa problem is related to this. This is a more critical problem than
                  the "I" problem.

                  Sinnathurai

                  >From: "K. Kalyanasundaram" <kalyan@...>
                  >To: tscii@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [tscii] Re: [tamilcomputing] Revision of TSCII encoding
                  >Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:54:18 +0200
                  >
                  >Dear Kumar:
                  >
                  >First an appeal. Please confine all discussions on TSCII revisions
                  >to a single list, this one <tscii@yahoogroups.com> so that the
                  >postings are not scattered. Those who are subscribed to this list
                  >should be directed to contact moderator of this list
                  >Manivannan <mmanivannan@...> to enable their subscription.
                  >
                  > > It is the time we should critically look into the problems.
                  > > I have seen reports of missing (A), the second uyir in
                  > > many situations. Although the word break problem with "thu" is
                  > > not a serious issue, it have to looked into as well.
                  >
                  >Can you please be more specific in describing the actual problem
                  >if any with the second uyir letter "A/aa" ( citing the application,
                  >software, platform, specific examples etc) ?
                  >
                  > > In this regard, working toward a better solution (TSCII 2.0),
                  > > may be we should open up the discussions in detail.
                  > >
                  > > I fully agree with an interim TSCII 1.7 soultion.
                  >
                  >Font encodings are very basic standards and we cannot afford
                  >to engage in revisions every now and then. There should be
                  >(will be?) only a single revision of TSCII for several years
                  >to come.
                  >
                  >If all known/existing problems with TSCII are documented now,
                  >then it will be easier to decide if the revision should be at
                  >the level of 1.7 or 2.0.
                  >
                  >If I may, I would like to propose a deadline for our discussions:
                  >
                  >end of Oct 2001 : round up discussions and agreement on the
                  >actual conent of revised TSCII (1.7 or 2.0)
                  >
                  >end of nov 2001 : distribution of relevant font faces, text editors,
                  > text convertors and end of field-testing of revised TSCII on all
                  > possible application scenarios
                  >
                  >1 Jan 2002 onwards: All TSCII usage on the Net be on the proposed
                  > revised TSCII scheme ONLY ;-)
                  >
                  >Kalyan
                  >
                  >PS: a point of clarification on the recent posting of Muguntharaj.
                  >only a single proposal A is on the table as regards to 1.7.

                • njayaradha natarajan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                    I request the group to test the keyman keyboard. for
                    1.7. so that we can prepare a document for all the
                    problem...

                    Regards,
                    Jayaradha

                    http://phone.yahoo.com
                  • Muguntharaj
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 11, 2001
                      Dear Kalyan/other TSCII coordinators,
                      As per our plan we should have finalised the discussions and should
                      have agreed upon the actual content of the Revised TSCII.

                      The coordinators please clarify if the proposed TSCII revision is
                      finalised....

                      -Mugunth