Re: [truth&justice] Con Demo Support

  • Chad Underkoffler
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
      --- Jeff Moore <bigcape@...> wrote:
      > Personally, my experience is that games that offer Prize
      > support of this nature are always better attended. For small
      > local conventions this is a big help. The one free game
      > increases general attendance and over all exposure to the game

      > by the people most likely to buy it.

      Do you run more than one session at a con, usually?

      CU

      Chad Underkoffler [chadu@...]
      ** Atomic Sock Monkey Press [ http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com ] **
      ** Live Journal [ http://www.livejournal.com/users/chadu/ ] **
      "Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -- Groucho Marx
    • Jeff Moore
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
        No. I am a GM who likes variety. I am running 3 games at the Con. All
        different systems. I think that one freebie per Con is a reasonable
        precedent to set.

        Jeff

        On 7/13/05, Chad Underkoffler <chadu@...> wrote:
        > --- Jeff Moore <bigcape@...> wrote:
        > > Personally, my experience is that games that offer Prize
        > > support of this nature are always better attended. For small
        > > local conventions this is a big help. The one free game
        > > increases general attendance and over all exposure to the game
        >
        > > by the people most likely to buy it.
        >
        > Do you run more than one session at a con, usually?
        >
        > CU
        >

        > Chad Underkoffler [chadu@...]
        > ** Atomic Sock Monkey Press [ http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com ] **
        > ** Live Journal [ http://www.livejournal.com/users/chadu/
        > ] **
        > "Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -- Groucho Marx

        > ________________________________

      • Chad Underkoffler
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
          --- Jeff Moore <bigcape@...> wrote:
          > No. I am a GM who likes variety. I am running 3 games at the
          > Con. All different systems. I think that one freebie per Con
          > is a reasonable precedent to set.

          Okay, I need to add that to the process.

          Let's kick this around a little bit more before I post to my LJ.
          I may want to write up some con award worksheets or something.

          CU

          Chad Underkoffler [chadu@...]
          ** Atomic Sock Monkey Press [ http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com ] **
          ** Live Journal [ http://www.livejournal.com/users/chadu/ ] **
          "Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -- Groucho Marx
        • Ryan Macklin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
            On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Chad Underkoffler wrote:

            > --- Isaac Kelley <isaac@...> wrote:
            > > Is that one free game per con or per demo?
            >
            > Good point. I think I'll have to limit it to one per con.

            Is this one MHP per GM per con? If it's one per con, regardless of the
            number of GMs, how do you figure out who the one MHP is?

            --
            Ryan P. Macklin
            Chess Variants Online Assistant Editor - Steve Jackson Games
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
              In my case I contacted Chad before the Con to request support. I
              believe this should be a standard practice. If a GM is planning to run
              a game, they should contact Chad and request support. Then Chad knows
              what to expect. And if he gets multiple requests from GMs at a con he
              can deal with this as a "first come - first served" kind of scenerio.
              Or if there are REALLY that many games of T&J going on at a particular
              con, Chad will have the option to reevaluate. But initially I think,
              "first come - first served" is a reasonable policy.

              Jeff

              On 7/13/05, Ryan Macklin <macklinr@...> wrote:
              > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Chad Underkoffler wrote:
              >
              > > --- Isaac Kelley <isaac@...> wrote:
              > > > Is that one free game per con or per demo?
              > >
              > > Good point. I think I'll have to limit it to one per con.
              >
              > Is this one MHP per GM per con? If it's one per con, regardless of the
              > number of GMs, how do you figure out who the one MHP is?
              >
              > --
              > Ryan P. Macklin
              > Chess Variants Online Assistant Editor - Steve Jackson Games
              > HMFY, GURPS Project Mayhem:
              > http://www.hmfy.com/projectmayhem/

              > ________________________________

            • Ryan Macklin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
                On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Jeff Moore wrote:

                > In my case I contacted Chad before the Con to request support. I
                > believe this should be a standard practice. If a GM is planning to run
                > a game, they should contact Chad and request support. Then Chad knows
                > what to expect. And if he gets multiple requests from GMs at a con he
                > can deal with this as a "first come - first served" kind of scenerio.
                > Or if there are REALLY that many games of T&J going on at a particular
                > con, Chad will have the option to reevaluate. But initially I think,
                > "first come - first served" is a reasonable policy.

                Ah, that does make sense. I wasn't aware of that initial step -- it makes
                sense, and I was planning on doing the same thing before reading this
                thread, but I didn't actually see that as part of the steps for dealing
                with support.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
                  --- Ryan Macklin <macklinr@...> wrote:
                  > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Jeff Moore wrote:
                  > > In my case I contacted Chad before the Con to request
                  > > support. I believe this should be a standard practice.

                  > Ah, that does make sense. I wasn't aware of that initial step
                  > -- it makes sense, and I was planning on doing the same thing
                  > before reading this thread, but I didn't actually see that as
                  > part of the steps for dealing with support.

                  I'll add it here:

                  --------------------
                  T&J Con Demo Support - Draft 2
                  --------------------
                  1. If you wish to run a demo game of T&J at a con and take
                  advantage of Atomic Sock Monkey Press' Con Demo Support, you
                  must first contact ASMP stating this intention at:
                  [ monkeyking@... ].

                  1A. Emails must have the subject line of: "[TJ-DEMO] Demo at
                  (Con Name)?".

                  1B. Emails should give the necessary information required
                  includes the GM's name, the Convention name and dates, and the
                  number of T&J demo sessions being run.

                  2. GMs can submit the name of one player -- the "Most Heroic
                  Player" or "MHP" -- per con to receive a complimentary copy of
                  the T&J PDF from Atomic Sock Monkey Press. How GMs determine
                  their MHP if they run multiple demos at a single con is up to
                  them. Note that multiple GMs at a single con can all be running
                  prize demos.

                  3. After the demo is over, the GM of the con demo *and* the MHP
                  must separately send an email to:
                  [ monkeyking@... ]. This is to validate the
                  MHP award and to get the email address of the winner.

                  3A. Emails must have the subject line of: "[TJ-DEMO] Most Heroic
                  Player".

                  3B. Emails should give the GM's name, the player's name, and the
                  player's character name at a minimum. Other details -- like a
                  character description, "actual play" report of the demo session,
                  digital photo of GM and MHP, character sketch, etc. -- are
                  appreciated but not necessary.

                  4. Upon receipt of the two emails from GM and MHP, Atomic Sock
                  Monkey Press will provide a complimentary copy of the TRUTH &
                  JUSTICE in PDF format to the MHP.

                  5. Atomic Sock Monkey Press may choose to announce the award on
                  the ASMP website or the Monkey King's LiveJournal as they see
                  fit.

                  --------------------

                  What do you think?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                    This looks great to me.

                    I am so Jazzed about running T&J this Saturday. The rules are clean
                    and easy and everything makes sense. I created a bunch of characters
                    last night and character creation is a JOY! (I have never said that of
                    a supers game before). I made 6 characters in 4 hours and learned the
                    rules as I went along. I was so happy, I cried.

                    Sometime next week after the Con is over and things quiet down for me
                    I intend to write a glowing review for RPGNow.com

                  • Chad Underkoffler
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                      --- Jeff Moore <bigcape@...> wrote:
                      > I am so Jazzed about running T&J this Saturday. The rules are
                      > clean and easy and everything makes sense. I created a bunch
                      of
                      > characters last night and character creation is a JOY! (I have

                      > never said that of a supers game before). I made 6 characters
                      > in 4 hours and learned the rules as I went along.

                      Yay!

                      > I was so happy, I cried.

                      Don't cry for me, Argentina.

                      > Sometime next week after the Con is over and things quiet down
                      > for me I intend to write a glowing review for RPGNow.com

                      Awesome. Let us know when it's up! (Anybody else writing
                      reviews, post a link here!)

                      CU

                      Chad Underkoffler [chadu@...]
                      ** Atomic Sock Monkey Press [ http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com ] **
                      ** Live Journal [ http://www.livejournal.com/users/chadu/ ] **
                      "Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -- Groucho Marx
                    • Robert Barrett
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                        As I've been reading (and enjoying) T&J, I've been pondering the wisdom
                        of writing up the T&J versions of some published heroes (as a guide to
                        how the system can realize well known concepts). At the same time, I'm
                        aware that this kind of thing has a tendency to take over supers RPG
                        discussions. Is there any interest in hashing out this sort of
                        adaptation on the list? It wouldn't have to be a project to translate
                        every single last X-character into T&J terms--but a slate of iconic
                        characters representing a range of archetypal styles and power levels
                        might be helpful to new T&J players.

                        Best,

                        Rob
                      • Chad Underkoffler
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                          --- Robert Barrett <rwb@...> wrote:
                          > As I've been reading (and enjoying) T&J, I've been pondering
                          > the wisdom of writing up the T&J versions of some published
                          > heroes (as a guide to how the system can realize well known
                          > concepts). At the same time, I'm aware that this kind of
                          > thing has a tendency to take over supers RPG discussions. Is
                          > there any interest in hashing out this sort of adaptation on
                          > the list?

                          Go nuts. That kind of stuff is unpublishable for commercial use
                          except by the IP-holders, but folks stat up their favorite
                          characters in their favorite RPG all the time for personal use.

                          > It wouldn't have to be a project to translate every single
                          > last X-character into T&J terms--but a slate of iconic
                          > characters representing a range of archetypal styles and power
                          > levels might be helpful to new T&J players.

                          I think the characters in T&J and DSfS cover a decent amount of
                          ground -- Ultrawoman is fairly analogous to a late Golden Age
                          Superman, Manticore is pretty much inspired by Batman, Zipzoom
                          is a classic speedster, and so forth.

                          What do you think's missing? Are you looking for "a typical
                          brick" or "the Hulk"?

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                            On Jul 14, 2005, at 6:21 PM, Chad Underkoffler wrote:

                            > Go nuts. That kind of stuff is unpublishable for commercial use
                            > except by the IP-holders, but folks stat up their favorite
                            > characters in their favorite RPG all the time for personal use.

                            Yeah, I just thought I'd ask because sometimes the adaptation threads
                            get really hairy . . . or refuse to ever die. :)

                            > I think the characters in T&J and DSfS cover a decent amount of
                            > ground -- Ultrawoman is fairly analogous to a late Golden Age
                            > Superman, Manticore is pretty much inspired by Batman, Zipzoom
                            > is a classic speedster, and so forth.

                            I can see this.

                            > What do you think's missing? Are you looking for "a typical
                            > brick" or "the Hulk"?

                            Well, the Hulk is an atypical brick. Ben Grimm might be a better test
                            case: Super-Strength, either Armor or Super-Armor, Invulnerability for
                            the Powers; Pilot, something related to Alicia Masters, and I'm not
                            sure what else for the Qualities; some sort of angstlich "I've become a
                            monster" for the Weakness.

                            Best,

                            Rob

                            =================================
                            Robert W. Barrett, Jr.
                            Assistant Professor of English
                            E-mail: rwb@...
                            WWW: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwb/www/
                            Office Phone: (217) 333-1715

                          • Chad Underkoffler
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                              --- Robert Barrett <rwb@...> wrote:
                              > Ben Grimm might be a better test case: Super-Strength, either
                              > Armor or Super-Armor, Invulnerability for the Powers; Pilot,
                              > something related to Alicia Masters, and I'm not sure what
                              > else for the Qualities; some sort of angstlich "I've become a
                              > monster" for the Weakness.

                              I think you're done. :)

                              CU

                              Chad Underkoffler [chadu@...]
                              ** Atomic Sock Monkey Press [ http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com ] **
                              ** Live Journal [ http://www.livejournal.com/users/chadu/ ] **
                              "Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -- Groucho Marx
                            • Chuk Goodin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 14, 2005
                                On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 04:25:50PM -0500, Robert Barrett wrote:
                                > As I've been reading (and enjoying) T&J, I've been pondering the wisdom
                                > of writing up the T&J versions of some published heroes (as a guide to
                                > how the system can realize well known concepts). At the same time, I'm
                                > aware that this kind of thing has a tendency to take over supers RPG
                                > discussions. Is there any interest in hashing out this sort of
                                > adaptation on the list? It wouldn't have to be a project to translate
                                > every single last X-character into T&J terms--but a slate of iconic
                                > characters representing a range of archetypal styles and power levels
                                > might be helpful to new T&J players.

                                I am so there -- like or not, lots of people use supers games for just
                                that. I'm working on Wolverine already.

                                --
                                chuk