Re: 7 hp Kohler coil substitution

  • sapark123321
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
      John,
      You are probably better off asking that question at the following group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kohler_Engine_Club/

      Roger
      --- In troybilttillerclub@yahoogroups.com, "schmanek" <schmanek@...> wrote:

      > hello, new to the group, what a great resource, thanks! I have a '76 Horse with a 7hp Kohler that has a bad coil. Coil pn 232901. I've seen genuine Kohler coils listed for about $80. I also seen some references on other forums where a Tecumseh coil pn 30560a would work as a substitue. I have found a source for this coil for $13. Does anybody know if the Tecumseh coil would work to replace the Kohler coil? Also, what causes a coil to go bad, other than old age/ Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
      >
      > - John

    • schmanek
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
        Thanks! I will check that group out. I did order the $13 coil, figured what do i got to lose ( except $13!). I will post the results when I find out.

        John

        --- In troybilttillerclub@yahoogroups.com, "sapark123321" <r_moeller@...> wrote:

        > John,
        > You are probably better off asking that question at the following group
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kohler_Engine_Club/
        >
        > Roger
        > --- In troybilttillerclub@yahoogroups.com, "schmanek" <schmanek@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello, new to the group, what a great resource, thanks! I have a '76 Horse with a 7hp Kohler that has a bad coil. Coil pn 232901. I've seen genuine Kohler coils listed for about $80. I also seen some references on other forums where a Tecumseh coil pn 30560a would work as a substitue. I have found a source for this coil for $13. Does anybody know if the Tecumseh coil would work to replace the Kohler coil? Also, what causes a coil to go bad, other than old age/ Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
        > >
        > > - John

      • bobbyt
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2012
          --- In troybilttillerclub@yahoogroups.com, "schmanek" <schmanek@...> wrote:

          > hello, new to the group, what a great resource, thanks! I have a '76 Horse with a 7hp Kohler that has a bad coil. Coil pn 232901. I've seen genuine Kohler coils listed for about $80. I also seen some references on other forums where a Tecumseh coil pn 30560a would work as a substitue. I have found a source for this coil for $13. Does anybody know if the Tecumseh coil would work to replace the Kohler coil? Also, what causes a coil to go bad, other than old age/ Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
          >
          > - John
          I had the same problem, with the same engine, could not get a spark to the plug.I had
          Replaced the points with an electronic ignation last year,and it was dead . I removed the
          Coil from its bracket, cleaned it up,replaced it on the engine,replaced the points and condencer that I taken off, and it started on the second pull. I found I could
          Check the coil by using a multitester. Attach one lead to the spark plug wire and the
          Other lead to ground, and with the sparkplug removed spinn the engine by hand and
          You should get a reading on the meter if the coil is good. Worked for me!!!