FW: Hex Magazine - The turning of the Wheel Winternights 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Henry Lauer ~ Hex Magazine [mailto:henry@...]
      Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 1:10 AM
      To: HeathenNews@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hex Magazine - The turning of the Wheel Winternights 2012

      Hex Magazine
      http://www.hexmagazine.com
      http://www.facebook.com/hexmagazine

      ~ THE TURNING OF THE WHEEL~
      Winternights 2012

      In this Edition:

      Just in Time for Yule!
      Runic Reflections: Laguz
      New Music from Cedar Spirits

      ~ Just in Time for Yule! ~

      Yule cards! by Arrowyn Craban Lauer

      5" x 7" blank inside with matching envelope ~ pack of 12 ~ in a reusable
      cardboard box with lid.
      Featuring a print of a beautiful leaping deer paper-cut.
      Printed on 100% post-consumer paper.
      $24.00 + shipping & handling

      Original Scherenschnitte Prints by Arrowyn Craban Lauer
      On Sale! 20% Off Code: YULE

      Card and prints available at http://www.hexmagazine.com/subscribe/#C1

      Support Hex! We are a community-supported not-for-profit publication.
      You can support us by heading to http://hexmagazine.com/subscribe/ and
      ordering magazines, CDs, and prints, and by spreading the word to all
      like-minded folk!

      Hex will no longer be publishing as a biannual publication,
      but issues 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 are still available and make for
      inspiring reading!
      We also have copies of the acclaimed Hum of Ullr's Bow CD.

      Stay tuned for the Heathen Erotica edition, as well as a number of very
      special projects!

      * * * * * *

      Hex Folk Market (http://www.hexfolkmarket.com) is here! Join our online
      market community in celebration of folk ways and sustainable living.
      Browse through our selection of international merchants or set up your
      own shop for free!

      * * * * * *
      Leather Bound Limited Edition of Issues #5-8 + CD!

      An edition of 13 (only 1 left!), and signed by the artisan (Jason
      Hovatter) and editors of Hex.

      This last copy is slightly scuffed, so we're letting it go for $80 (down
      from $100) plus shipping.
      Interested? Email arrowyn@....

      Note: Issues Five and Six are no longer available except as part of this
      compilation.

      All proceeds go to Hex Press to support its continued effort to provide
      folks with an excellent volunteer-based, community-supported,
      not-for-profit publication.

      * * * * * *
      Feeling Hexy?

      Hex is putting out an initial call for Heathen Erotica. For a side
      project, not a regular issue. It will be published when we get enough
      material.

      Accepting submissions for stories, poetry, art, photography, recipes,
      whatever. You can submit under your own name or a nom de plume. The
      usual high standards of quality apply! IE: if it's smut, it better be
      really good smut!

      Send submissions to submissions@...

      * * * * * *

      . Laguz .

      Old English Rune Poem
      Lagu (Sea) is by folk thought wide indeed,
      If they should dare to go in a ship unsteady,
      And the waves terribly frighten them,
      And the sea-stallion heed not its bridle.

      Old Icelandic Rune Poem
      Logr (Sea) is a welling water
      And a wide kettle
      And a fish?s field

      Old Norse Rune Poem
      Logr (Water) is, when falling out of a mountain, a cascade;
      And costly ornaments are of gold.

      ~ Rune poem translations by Sweyn Plowright
      http://www.mackaos.com.au/Rune-Net/Primer/

      Life should be easy. There, I've said it! Life should be easy. Oh I
      know, there are all those sweaty, straining Protestant Work Ethic types
      out there, dedicating themselves to struggle. It's a venerable tradition
      that runs to the roots of the industrial revolution and beyond, all the
      way back to the very invention of dogma.

      But really, truly, do not listen to the prophets of hard work. They
      don't know what they're talking about.

      That doesn't mean that I recommend sitting around, doing nothing. When I
      say life should be easy, I am not arguing in favor of some overweening
      sense of entitlement. No: the opposite of strain and effort is not
      inaction or laziness. This slander is the product of a social order
      which cannot help but try to turn human beings into safe, uniform,
      predictable, overwrought robots.

      "Water is, when falling out of a mountain, a cascade." Imagine you stand
      at the top of a giant waterfall. You have a bucket. You are busily
      filling your bucket with the water as it rushes past and then emptying
      the bucket over the falls. This is what you do, again and again, hurling
      buckets of water over falls it would have rushed over anyway.

      It is hard work - even keeping your footing in the current is a tall
      order. And yet all that effort contributes nothing to the waters'
      rushing motion. It was already taking care of itself most beautifully.
      It is completely indifferent to your Quixotic efforts.

      The trick seems to be revisioning oneself as being part of the water,
      not some separate being tasked with the labor of making it do what it
      wants to do anyway. Much of life, when understood as being hard work,
      really boils down to this kind of duplication of effort. We try to push
      things that can take care of themselves quite adequately.

      Of course, all that redundant effort is a) wasteful; and b) distracts us
      from what is right in front of us. Only someone totally absorbed in a
      mindless task like filling and emptying a bucket could fail to notice
      the roaring waterfall at their feet. As Heidegger put it so perfectly,
      we become lost in the world of our concern.

      Laguz is a powerful reminder of the fact that not doing is not lazy
      inaction (which is, in its fretful pining, still hard work). It is the
      graceful acceptance of reality as it is, which in turn enables a kind of
      non-action that is more powerful than action.

      That probably sounds horribly unconvincing. How can inaction be just as
      - perhaps more - productive than effortful action? The answer is
      efficiency. Actually, the answer is grace.

      Gracefulness is not an optional add on - not an afterthought. Grace is
      the essence of flowing water. Fluid motion is the fabric from which the
      whole universe is woven - just ask any mathematician! It is perfection
      without effort.

      The only "work" we need to do is to make ourselves available for grace
      to move through us. And much of that work is a process of removal and
      stopping and letting go and undoing.

      If we are all just tiny ships on an infinite sea then we better learn to
      work with the wind and the tides. The Work Ethic Brigade say that we
      should ignore these forces, that we should do so bloody-mindedly,
      stupidly. They have beguiled themselves with atomistic self-righteousness.

      In the short run, yes, "hard work" can sometimes seem to "win." But only
      when the context is carefully narrowed. Only when our attention has been
      occluded. "Our wonderful bucketing technique is causing all this water
      to move over the falls!" cry the agents of effortful action. They're
      only convincing so long as we allow them to distract us from the
      existence of basic forces like gravity.

      I know that I find it tempting to do a lot of pointless hard work. It
      creates the feeling of being in control - as though my storm tossed ship
      could ever have control over the whimsy of the high seas! Laguz is a
      stern slap across the face - it wants us to wake up, to accept the
      limits of our power. It wants us to face the seeming constriction of our
      existential dread.

      Face it, and discover that in doing so we become, not suffocated, but
      liberated.

      Effortlessness cannot be described. It cannot be expressed in explicit
      terms. As soon as we try to grasp it, it flows away like water. It
      refuses our manipulative, structuring, ordering consciousness. It pools
      where we do not expect it, in non sequiturs and co-incidences and
      ironies. It captivates and evades; backstabs and catches out.

      There is no mountain that can resist the power of water. No city it
      cannot sweep away. No crop it cannot nurture - or destroy. No sky it
      cannot darken. No life it cannot nourish.

      The treasure of the Nibelungs was hidden on the bed of the Rhine; this
      might explain the Old Norse Rune Poem's statement that "costly ornaments
      are of gold." Well - you cannot reach through the water and grasp the
      gold if you do not first open your hand. An open hand holds nothing. It
      is at rest. It is effortless.

      As I speculatively understand it, for the ancient Heathens all things
      resided in the waters of the Well of Memory. The whole fabric of the
      cosmos was flowing water up and down and through the World Tree. Water
      cannot be held, but it can wash over an open hand or an open mind. Let
      go of what you cannot hold. Let go of life if you would grasp it.

      If you enjoy my runic articles please consider visiting my website at
      http://www.findrune.com and booking a reading!

      ~ Henry Lauer

      * * * * * *
      New Heathen Music from CEDAR SPIRITS

      The debut full length journey from Cedar Spirits features a
      collaborative offering from two Pacific Northwestern ritual folk
      artists, known to the community as novemthree and
      Cycle of the Raven Talons (formerly ruhr hunter).

      From the opening invocation; "Oh spirit Sun, guide
      and protect us. Oh spirit Rain, cleanse and inform
      us. Oh spirit Earth, nurture and feed us. In this
      life, I start anew...."

      Through this organic and purely acoustic presence,
      It becomes self evident the Cedar Spirits express a
      growth of spirit, light of life within a deeply respectful
      musical craft. A craft focusing a humble, apologetic
      nature through a richly intent filled medicinal musical.
      An honoring of the Mother through every note and
      every word.

      A collective practice, a declaration of vows through
      important, careful stewardship and human well being
      towards a bio-region in need of love, strength, respectful
      participation and vital protection!

      "To the keeper of the woods, under moonlight
      stood, deep within your earthen womb....
      please forgive us."

      Available via Glass Throat Recordings:
      http://www.glassthroatrecordings.bandcamp.com/

      * * * * * *
      By the Hum of Ullr's Bow: Winter Songs Compilation CD
      is still available!

      Bands on the compilation CD include:
      . A Minority of One . Allerseelen . Andrew King
      . At the Head of the Woods . Beastianity . Hamramr . Irij
      . Ironwood . Ruhr Hunter . Sangre Cavallum . Sieben
      . Steve von Till . Svarrogh . Waldteufel . Wardruna

      You can read more about the artists here:
      http://hexmagazine.com/harvest/winter-songs-cd/

      Until Winter Solstice, may you and your
      household be blessed and kept. Hail!
      ~ HEX Magazine