Letters to the Editor

  • Robert Silvers
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      I read this in the Saturday Lexington Herald-Leader:

      http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/11529785.htm

      "Americans are born Christian."

      Um, Hel no.

      My reply to the editor:

      After reading Doster Esh's "Americans are born Christians" in
      Saturday's edition of the Lexington Herald-Leader, I had to check a
      calender. To my surprise, it was in fact not April Fool's Day,
      leading me to wonder why the piece was published in the first
      place. It would be more at home in my cat's litter box than in the
      newspaper.

      It has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in quite some
      time. Esh talks like Christianity is some sort of cultural
      inheritance passed down from our ancestors. That's about as far
      from the truth as you can get. Neither Judaism nor Christianity
      have been around for 10,000 years, as Esh suggests, and their place
      in the cultural history of most Americans is limited, at best.

      Christianity has nothing to do with the cultural history of most of
      the people in the world. People of European, Asian, African, or
      Native American descent are not the descendants of Christianity,
      they are the victims of it. Their ancestors did not inherit
      Christianity, they were converted with swords or guns pointed at
      them.

      My European ancestors didn't follow Christ. While Christ was
      walking around a desert, my ancestors worshipped the gods they
      believed in and loved - Odin and Thor, Frey and Freya, Tyr and
      Heimdall. They worshipped these gods for thousands of years before
      Christ ever walked the Earth, and continued to worship them for
      hundreds of years afterward, until their culture was brutally raped
      by Christian conquerors and missionaries who brought their so-
      called "loving" message - convert, or die. And even so, my
      ancestors' culture could not be completely wiped out. The days of
      the week still bear the names of the gods I mentioned earlier, and
      those gods are still worshipped by some people.

      If Esh wants to claim Christianity as his cultural heritage, let
      him. He can have it. My cultural heritage is the gods of my
      ancestors, not a vengeful desert god and his illegitimate son.

      Sincerely,
      Robert Silvers