FW: Turning of the Wheel~May Day

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2009
      _____

      From: Express Email Marketing [mailto:mailer_response@...] On
      Behalf Of HEX Magazine
      Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:29 PM
      To: jordsvin@...
      Subject: Turning of the Wheel~May Day

      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343372&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=http://www.hexmagazine.com>

      ~ THE TURNING OF THE WHEEL ~
      MAY DAY / BELTANE / WALPURGISNACHT 2009

      : STILL A FEW AVAILABLE :

      <http://www.hexmagazine.com/images/leatherbound-sm.jpg>

      Limited Edition Leatherbound Hex Collection

      This complete collection of all four issues of Hex magazine, is beautifully
      bound in leather by Jason H. Craban. Each magazine is stitched with linen
      into the spine of this sturdy and handsome handmade case. The binding lays
      flat for ease of reading, and is held closed by a leather strap. The edition
      is limited to 13, all numbered, and signed by the artisan and editors of
      Hex. It features the first two issues which are now out-of-print and
      unavailable as well as the third and fourth issues which are nearly sold out
      as well.

      IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE A COPY
      REPLY TO arrowyn@... WITH YOUR ORDER.

      First come, first serve!

      If you are one of the lucky ones, when your email is received, you will be
      notified, and sent an invoice through PayPal to complete the purchase of
      your copy.

      Each leatherbound copy is $100 + shipping

      All proceeds go to Hex Press to support its continued effort to provide
      folks with an excellent volunteer-based, community-supported, not-for-profit
      publication.

      : ALSO AVAILABLE :

      <http://www.hexmagazine.com/images/hails/extra-issues.gif>

      Limited Run of Issues 1 and 2

      I decided to cave in to public pressure and sell half the extra copies of
      Issues 1 and 2 individually! There are only 10 each and... THESE ARE THE
      LAST COLOR COPIES OF THESE ISSUES THAT WILL BE PRINTED! THAT'S IT. IT'S
      FINAL.

      IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE A COPY
      REPLY TO arrowyn@... WITH YOUR ORDER.

      First come, first serve!

      If you are one of the lucky ones, when your email is received, you will be
      notified, and sent an invoice through PayPal to complete the purchase of
      your copy.

      Each copy is $15 + shipping

      * * * * * *

      <http://www.hexmagazine.com/images/hails/may-pole.jpg>
      May Pole (circa 1907). source: www.victoriantraditions.com
      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343373&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=http://www.victoriantraditions.com>

      Spring Break ~ Heathen Style

      Today's college students aren't the first people to celebrate spring break.
      For Heathens, the time around early May has always been time for a break.
      The fall garden crops are in full production or just beginning to wane; many
      of the early summer crops have been started; and the poultry are nearly back
      to full production. The larger livestock are also delivering babies...often
      in the middle of the night during a rain storm, says my friend. For the
      Heathen Hearth it's also a time for visiting neighbors, bonfires, May Poles,
      pot luck moots, remembering folkways, and just maybe a taste of last
      summer's fruit based mead - which should be ready to bottle if it hasn't
      been already.

      Today in the US the May Pole is a pretty standard concept, a pole with
      ribbons hanging from the top that are woven together in a May Pole Dance.
      Sometimes at this time of year we see schools and churches giving public May
      Pole performances. European May traditions, however, were and are, far more
      varied—even from neighborhood to neighborhood. They involve witches who
      revel in the night, rituals designed to restore good luck and health, and
      days filled with activities such as the crowning of May Kings and Queens, or
      choosing a May bride and bridegroom.

      In Germany, the night before the first of May is called Walpurgisnacht, and
      is said to be a time when witches gathered around hilltop fires in the night
      to welcome spring and spirits or wights from the other worlds. Then on May
      1st many folk traditions involved chasing out those same witches and wights!
      One could speculate that the witches and the rest of the townsfolk were
      actually one and the same. May Day activities culminated at about sunset
      with lots of noise making such as that made by cracking whips, ringing cow
      bells, blowing bulls horns, singing, and making a general racket to scare
      away the perceived threat of gathered witches in the area as they watched
      out for them through the first night of May around bonfires.

      The same bonfires would later be used to scare away any illness or bad luck
      that might be attached to the farm animals, perhaps by the witches. The
      animals might be driven between two fires or through the smoke of a fire to
      cleanse and heal them. The people would also cleanse themselves with the
      fire, often by jumping over the flames.

      Other areas of Heathen Europe also celebrate this time of year, in one way
      or another. In Sweden, Walpurgis is celebrated with bonfires and the use of
      fresh greenery to decorate doorways and windows. Here the use of a pole at
      Midsummer is similar to that of a May Pole. In Finland it's festival time,
      and in Ireland and Scotland it's time for Beltane -- another festival
      celebrated with bonfires and greenery.

      May poles were Heathen long before the schools and churches took up the
      dance. These poles might be associated with the world tree Yggdrasil and
      certainly reflect the magic of the Vanir Gods and Goddesses. Sometimes a
      pole would be collected, receive various degrees of decoration, and then be
      erected in a prominent area as a group effort. Today May Poles in Germany
      are sometimes made of metal and the decoration often reflects some of the
      businesses in town; older poles were made of trees with evergreen being a
      popular choice. In older times poles might also be kept year after year
      while in other places they might be placed into the evening bonfire.

      For the Heathen Household deciding how to observe Walpurgis Night and May
      Day should start with a look into folklore and realizing there is no "one
      way" and that our own ways of observing the turning of the seasonal wheel
      should grow and change with our knowledge.

      For Walpurgis Night enjoy a bonfire, either outside around a fire pit,
      inside at the fireplace hearth or if these options aren't available light a
      candle or two or three. Then spend some time in meditation or tap into
      whatever Heathen mystical pursuits you favor with the goal of accessing
      information about the future.

      Then on May Day scare away any bad luck or ill-meaning wights from the
      homestead. At dusk start a bonfire, use friction or flint if you can, pull
      out your bulls' horn or cow bells, or anything else you think might startle
      and scare away those wights. Perhaps fall back on a Yule tradition and
      cleanse the home with the fire by carrying it around to clear out negative
      energy and wights, either inside, outside or both.

      Then later on the first day of May, when others can join you, celebrate with
      a May Pole Dance. This year the full moon falls on May 9 and our small but
      growing group of neighborhood Heathens will gather here on that day.
      Neighbor being an operative word; if they think the drive is worth it then
      they are neighbors! The neighbors will bring great food and drink and the
      excitement of gathering with others, which will be as genuine as it was
      generations ago. Later we'll all grab a ribbon or two and dance round the
      pole, with a dip and a rise, a dip and a rise. The dance seems almost an
      imitation of the sun and moon as they dip and rise through the seasons of
      earth. The friendships, the folkways, the turning of the seasons, all bring
      the magic of the old ways back into our lives. Enjoy the magic; it's a
      medicine better than any pill.

      ~Teresa "Hedgewife" Luedke

      * * * * * *

      IMPORTANT HEX ANNOUNCEMENTS

      The narrative subject for the Fall issue of Hex is...What I learned from my
      grandparents. Send your experiences to submissions@.... These
      are due on the Summer Solstice.

      I am opening an invitation to participate in a collection that will go up on
      the new website called Altared Spaces. I am trying to collect a series of
      photographs of people's altars and also spaces or environments that have
      been altered to make a sacred space. There is currently no due date, you can
      just send photos with a brief description, and your name to:
      altars@...

      Thank you all for your continued support and involvement with Hex!

      ~ cheers, Arrowyn

      * * * * * *
      <http://www.hexmagazine.com/images/hails/fehu.gif>
      • FEHU •

      Old English Rune Poem
      Feoh (Money) is a comfort to humans all;
      But each one should deal it out abundantly,
      If he wants before the Lord to chance judgment.

      Old Icelandic Rune Poem
      Fe (Money) is kinsman's quarrel
      And flood-tide's token
      And necromancy's road.

      Old Norse Rune Poem
      Fe (Money) causes kinsmen's quarrel;
      The wolf is reared in the forest.

      ~ Rune poem translations by Sweyn Plowright
      http://www.mackaos.com.au/Rune-Net/Primer/
      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343374&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=http://www.mackaos.com.au/Rune-Net/Primer/

      April 30 and May 1 are a very magical moment in the year. These days
      exemplify the magic of liminality, of in-betweenness. In a way, the power of
      April 30 lies in its transition into May 1 -- and vice versa.

      Can you stand with feet in two different worlds, one there and one here, all
      at once? You can at this moment of the year, this night where the doors to
      all the worlds hang open, seducing and enticing us into their mysteries. And
      helping us to grasp the mysteries of our own world, Midgard, in the process.

      Of course one of the most provocative of all the mysteries of this world is
      that of Fehu -- of money.

      Money is a source of both comfort and conflict. To me it is movement, it is
      change perfected. It promises (and loves to also dash) the fleeting hopes of
      absolute security and safety that obsess so many of us. How ironic that we
      root our dreams of certainty on something so inherently fickle.

      We easily fool ourselves into thinking that money can shield us from every
      ambiguity, mystery, suffering and harm. With luck, though, we can allow the
      binary magic of Beltaine/May Day to wrench us from this hazy delusion.

      Money is very much a this-worldly concern. Without sufficient wealth (be it
      in goods or coin) we risk death or misery. To lazily paraphrase Odin in
      Havamal: it makes a man's heart bleed when he has to beg for his meat. I
      know its true, too -- I've lived that gore-soaked story just as I've lived
      through times of plenty.

      But money is also a comfort, especially to those who share it with a spirit
      of abundance.

      When we give away our fear of mystery, of suffering, of lack, we might just
      find that the cloth of goodwill our generosity weaves is far warmer than the
      most expensive coat. We might find that the good words spoken of our names
      win us more weal than our greed ever could.

      Money, like all energies and all metaphors, is cyclical. To get some you
      have to give some; you have to weave yourself into the endless flows of
      wyrd.

      When quarrelsome greed gets involved we seek to isolate ourselves; yet give
      away your linear lust for gold and you might find yourself free to actually
      enjoy what you have -- and with this joy who knows what other possibilities
      might offer themselves up?

      Fehu, then, represents a quickening, a fresh blush of life and magic and
      hope. Someone with Fehu in their life can feel rich no matter how
      poverty-stricken they are. Whereas no amount of money can protect us from a
      miserly mindset.

      Now, at this time in the world, this rune offers us a reminder not to be
      intimidated by the material shortages bursting into being all around us. We
      can call on inner and otherworldly resources; marvelous new lives await us
      if we have the guts to create and live them.

      Nor are we condemned to isolation in seeking to create new lives, lives made
      to prove that humanity was not made to suffer but to bloom. The rune poems
      issue a clear warning: let us not allow our fear to divide us into petty
      squabbles.

      According to game theory, when people work together they utilise resources
      more efficiently and so there is more to go around; whereas when we
      endlessly compete we waste vast energies on our conflict and thus there is
      little left at the end of our struggles for us to enjoy.

      We might have to give away some of our assumptions around the notion that
      selfishness is always the best road to wealth. Of necessity did the
      pre-modern cultures of European antiquity live in a co-operative and
      collaborative spirit.

      Fehu warns us not to fall into the unheilige circumstance of fruitless
      struggle and dwindling rewards. The doors to the other worlds are open. When
      Midgard is poor, the elves and dwarves and giants and gods and all the rest
      are always happy to share.

      They know with deep clarity what we humans often forget -- that what goes
      around comes around. April 30, of all nights, is the night to make an
      offering to our magical and liminal cousins. Offer them food or poetry,
      certainly; but offer them also your fear, your greed or your confusion.
      They'll appreciate your trust and honesty.

      Co-incidentally, April 30 is my birthday. I was born on the most liminal
      night of the year and I often think I am a changeling child, an elf swapped
      for a human at birth (or even before).

      Hence this rune, for me personally, is sending a clear message -- embrace
      the rich tapestry of Midgard's web and you'll be far richer than any
      fear-filled, isolated miser. As I like to tell those I love: The World Wants
      You.

      I owe a song or three to my gods and ancestors for this timely shot of
      wisdom. I'll plant one foot here and one foot there and let the torrents of
      life pour through me from each to the other.

      ~ Henry Lauer

      * * * * * *

      <http://www.hexmagazine.com/images/hails/fiddleheads.jpg>

      Sautéed Fiddleheads

      1 lb. fiddlehead ferns
      2 garlic cloves
      1/4 C butter
      2 T chopped parsley (or what I used was nettles)
      salt and pepper to taste

      Trim brown ends off the fern shoots and wash them in cold water, pulling off
      the papery brown skin -- this step is important otherwise they might be a
      bit too bitter. Drain and pat dry. Mince the garlic. In a large skillet melt
      half the butter over medium-low heat. Add the ferns and turn up the heat to
      medium. The ferns should sizzle, but don't let the butter burn. Cook for
      about 5 minutes, tossing and stirring the ferns. Add remaining butter,
      garlic, and parsley. Continue cooking for another minute or two, covered,
      until you can smell the garlic and ferns are tender. Season and serve
      immediately. (4 to 6 servings) recipe adapted from a farmer's market
      printout.

      Fiddleheads are the coiled spring cluster's of ferns. Most used are lady,
      ostrich, and shield ferns. Do not use bracken fern as it has been suspected
      of causing stomach cancer. In North America, you can find them in moist
      woods, lowlands, and stream banks from Alaska to British Columbia and down
      to California -- and even farmer's markets around here! Fiddleheads are high
      in iron, potassium, and vitamins A, B, and C.

      ~ Arrowyn Craban

      * * * * * *

      Hex will again be sponsoring the Blackened Cascadian Folk night at the
      Northwest Folk Life festival this year in Seattle. Last year's performance
      was a great success, and we are excited to repeat it.

      Blackened Cascadian Folk
      Friday May 22nd, 6:00 -- 9:00 PM
      The Vera Project

      At the Head of the Woods
      Skybound Newe Age Psychedelia

      Waldteufel
      Archaic Heathen Folk

      Hail / l'Acephale
      Blackened Folk Outsider Metal

      Soriah
      American / Tuvan Throat Singer

      Fauna
      Apocalyptic Atavism

      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343375&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=httpL//www.nwfolklife.org>

      * * * * * *

      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343376&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=http://www.hexmagazine.com/subscribe.htm>

      Hex needs your help! This is a community-supported not-for-profit
      publication. You can support us by clicking the link above and ordering
      magazines and prints, and spreading the word to all like-minded folk!

      * * * * * *

      Until Summer Solstice, may you and your
      household be blessed and kept. Hail!
      ~ HEX Magazine

      * * * * * *

      We are currently looking for:
      • submissions for e-zine content
      • funding
      If you are interested in applying or have any suggestions,
      contact: info@...

      * * * * * *

      Due date for Spring 2010 submissions
      is Autumn Equinox 2009
      submissions@...

      !!WE
      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343377&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=http://www.hexmagazine.com/ads.htm> WANT
      YOUR AD!!
      Support your community while exposing like-minded
      folk to your goods and services...

      Advertisements must be relevant to HEX readers, and inclined toward a
      Heathen aesthetic. Prices listed are for completed AD files. If you need
      additional graphic design, we can help. Just contact us about our design
      fee.

      AD space is now available in the newsletter for $10 a run. contact
      info@... if you are interested.

      www.hexmagazine.com
      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.link?linkid=1343378&subscriberid=5
      7444065&campaignid=371471&linkurl=http://www.hexmagazine.com>

      > Please forward to all interested and relevant parties <

      This email was sent by HEX Magazine, PO Box 17280, Portland, OR 97217, using
      Express Email Marketing. You subscribed to this permission-based list on
      6/29/2007.

      Express Email Marketing supports permission-based email marketing. You can
      change your preferences
      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/survey.aspx?id=31339&sid=57444065&camp
      aignId=371471&SFID=31337> or unsubscribe
      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/unsubscribe.aspx?id=31339&sid=57444065
      &campaignId=371471> from this mailing list at any time.

      <http://app.expressemailmarketing.com/get.imgx?Opened=true&cid=371471&sid=57
      444065>