A meal blessing for Nerthus

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Needed: a bowl of soil and a bowl of water. Small ones will do just
      fine. Each person going clockwise sprinkles water with their fingers onto
      the bowl of soil. I got something similar out of a fantasy, sci-fi or
      historical novel once and liked it. One could well put the same setup at
      the door of her temple. The first part is derived, of all places, from the
      gnostic/apocryphal Gospel of St. Thomas. However, I think I've stayed tru
      to the Heathen spirit.

      "Nerthus, holy Mother Earth, we would eat, so one day we must be eaten
      in turn. Life feeds on Life, and you are nourished by the bones of the
      Ancestors that you may bring forth this food for our needs. Accept from us
      now these small sacrifices, as one day you will accept the Great One from
      each of us. Death is a debt we all must pay. Help us to live gratefully,
      honorably and in good spirits until that hour comes."

      This is of course in reference to our eventual deaths and cremations
      and/or burials.

      Jordsvin