RE: [trivalleygamers] Re: Roll Call - Games - August 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Dave Wilson asked: (what, no ad acta?)

      Apologies - ad acta was misfiled and overlooked due to a bureaucratic snafu.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
        Dave was the only attendee tonight, so we decided to return to the letter
        "A" and try out Arkham Horror.

        "The year is 1926, and it is the height of the Roaring Twenties. Flappers
        dance till dawn in smoke-filled speakeasies drinking alcohol supplied by rum
        runners and the mob. It's a celebration to end all celebrations in the
        aftermath of the War to end all Wars.

        "Yet a dark shadow grows in the city of Arkham. Alien entities known as
        Ancient Ones lurk in the emptiness beyond space and time, writhing at the
        gates between worlds. These gates have begun to open and must be closed
        before the Ancient Ones make our world their ruined dominion.

        "Only a handful of investigators stand against the Arkham Horror. Will they
        prevail?"

        Sister Mary (full of sanity, but no cash) and Bob Jenkins (salesman, full of
        cash) decided to investigate the strange goings on in Arkham to see if
        Ithaqua could be stopped. Unfortunately, the strengths of either character
        didn't really synergize so much of the investigation was handled in parallel
        solo adventures. Even though blessed, Sister Mary was unlucky in dice
        constantly rolling low numbers and failing several checks or missing out on
        gaining items in encounters. The only high rolls made seemed to be in the
        upkeep phase to make sure the blessing stayed, but even that luck ran out
        eventually as Sister Mary lost her blessing. To make matters worse, an
        encounter with an obscene statue brought about a curse, making it even
        harder for Sister Mary to pass die rolls.

        Bob was pretty good in a fight, defeating a Dark Young encountered on the
        streets and a Warlock encountered in Celeano. But those would be the only
        monsters really encountered. The first monsters drawn were stationary so
        tended to sit on their gates. But all was not lost as Bob did manage to
        seal 2 gates and Sister Mary 1 gate. A fourth gate was closed, but not
        sealed as Bob had insufficient clue tokens upon his return to Arkham.

        But all was not going well, the gates kept appearing, monsters kept
        stirring, such that eventually, Ithaqua did awake, forcing a show-down with
        Bob and Sister Mary. Unfortunately, many of the items that could have
        helped in the final battle, failed their check and were lost. Included in
        the lost items were Holy Water, a Cross, and the Dark Hands of Azatoth
        spell. Thanks to Sister Mary's low fight (3) and Ithaqua's modifier (-3),
        Sister Mary had no ability to fight the Ancient One. Bob didn't do much
        better rolling only a single die....within a few rounds, both were devoured
        as evil took over Arkham.

        It was obvious early on that we were facing a large task. The gates spawned
        faster than we could close them. The monsters tended to be in clumps making
        it difficult to face them down (3 stationary monsters + 1 flying monster in
        the sky out of the 5 possible.) As a result, we didn't really gain monster
        trophies that could have been cashed in for items. In fact, we didn't
        really gain that many items, and perhaps that was a mistake in our play.

        As the terror mounted, we had to discard (possible) ally characters as they
        fled town. Looking at the benefits offered, gaining ally characters would
        certainly help in the battles as a way of improving skills. I also think we
        tended to forget the old RPG quest model - conquer small adventures to skill
        up before facing larger and more dangerous adventures. I also suspect that
        the characters chosen are among the weaker ones. Sister Mary has lots of
        sanity (therefore, can withstand horror checks and cast numerous spells, but
        has little other resources to gain those items.) Bob on the other hand had
        money, but other than buying a shotgun (which wasn't used) didn't really
        gain on items either.

        But as others have mentioned in their reviews, we probably only read about
        10% of the games "atmosphere" as provided by the various cards. Therefore,
        if we were to explore Arkham again, I can suspect events would unfold
        differently. In addition, with 16 other characters to play and 7 other
        monsters, there is probably a lot to the game before it gets repetitive.

        But all this flexibility does come at a modest price. There are lots of
        bits in the game. I have used a Plano 3650 to help organize the bits which
        helps greatly. (A photo of this is pending approval on the Geek). In
        addition, the games does need a fairly large surface to lay out all the
        decks of cards, tokens, and game board.

        But even clocking in at about 3 hours for our first playing, I never felt
        the time drag. The sense of dread and realization that we were losing
        certainly developed, but it was a fun trip the whole way. I do hope that I
        have another chance to explore the evil that lurks within Arkham in the near
        future.

        Rich
      • The Designer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2005
          Hi Rich

          Will be able to make it Aug 9th but wont have net access this week

          Warmly,

          Laurence B.A.,M.A

          member-- http://www.epsilonpitau.org

          The easiest way to make God Laugh is to make plans.