Re: Roll Call - Games - August 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2005
      --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe" <RPardoe@p...> wrote:

      > Who is available for games on Wednesday, 3 August?
      > What games are you thinking of suggesting?

      I'll be there.

      As for what game, well, Arkham Horror sounds interesting to me. From my
      collection, I'd probably bring Railway Rivals, and maybe Stunt Academy.

      Dave Wilson

      (what, no ad acta?)
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        Dave Wilson asked: (what, no ad acta?)

        Apologies - ad acta was misfiled and overlooked due to a bureaucratic snafu.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
          Dave was the only attendee tonight, so we decided to return to the letter
          "A" and try out Arkham Horror.

          "The year is 1926, and it is the height of the Roaring Twenties. Flappers
          dance till dawn in smoke-filled speakeasies drinking alcohol supplied by rum
          runners and the mob. It's a celebration to end all celebrations in the
          aftermath of the War to end all Wars.

          "Yet a dark shadow grows in the city of Arkham. Alien entities known as
          Ancient Ones lurk in the emptiness beyond space and time, writhing at the
          gates between worlds. These gates have begun to open and must be closed
          before the Ancient Ones make our world their ruined dominion.

          "Only a handful of investigators stand against the Arkham Horror. Will they
          prevail?"

          Sister Mary (full of sanity, but no cash) and Bob Jenkins (salesman, full of
          cash) decided to investigate the strange goings on in Arkham to see if
          Ithaqua could be stopped. Unfortunately, the strengths of either character
          didn't really synergize so much of the investigation was handled in parallel
          solo adventures. Even though blessed, Sister Mary was unlucky in dice
          constantly rolling low numbers and failing several checks or missing out on
          gaining items in encounters. The only high rolls made seemed to be in the
          upkeep phase to make sure the blessing stayed, but even that luck ran out
          eventually as Sister Mary lost her blessing. To make matters worse, an
          encounter with an obscene statue brought about a curse, making it even
          harder for Sister Mary to pass die rolls.

          Bob was pretty good in a fight, defeating a Dark Young encountered on the
          streets and a Warlock encountered in Celeano. But those would be the only
          monsters really encountered. The first monsters drawn were stationary so
          tended to sit on their gates. But all was not lost as Bob did manage to
          seal 2 gates and Sister Mary 1 gate. A fourth gate was closed, but not
          sealed as Bob had insufficient clue tokens upon his return to Arkham.

          But all was not going well, the gates kept appearing, monsters kept
          stirring, such that eventually, Ithaqua did awake, forcing a show-down with
          Bob and Sister Mary. Unfortunately, many of the items that could have
          helped in the final battle, failed their check and were lost. Included in
          the lost items were Holy Water, a Cross, and the Dark Hands of Azatoth
          spell. Thanks to Sister Mary's low fight (3) and Ithaqua's modifier (-3),
          Sister Mary had no ability to fight the Ancient One. Bob didn't do much
          better rolling only a single die....within a few rounds, both were devoured
          as evil took over Arkham.

          It was obvious early on that we were facing a large task. The gates spawned
          faster than we could close them. The monsters tended to be in clumps making
          it difficult to face them down (3 stationary monsters + 1 flying monster in
          the sky out of the 5 possible.) As a result, we didn't really gain monster
          trophies that could have been cashed in for items. In fact, we didn't
          really gain that many items, and perhaps that was a mistake in our play.

          As the terror mounted, we had to discard (possible) ally characters as they
          fled town. Looking at the benefits offered, gaining ally characters would
          certainly help in the battles as a way of improving skills. I also think we
          tended to forget the old RPG quest model - conquer small adventures to skill
          up before facing larger and more dangerous adventures. I also suspect that
          the characters chosen are among the weaker ones. Sister Mary has lots of
          sanity (therefore, can withstand horror checks and cast numerous spells, but
          has little other resources to gain those items.) Bob on the other hand had
          money, but other than buying a shotgun (which wasn't used) didn't really
          gain on items either.

          But as others have mentioned in their reviews, we probably only read about
          10% of the games "atmosphere" as provided by the various cards. Therefore,
          if we were to explore Arkham again, I can suspect events would unfold
          differently. In addition, with 16 other characters to play and 7 other
          monsters, there is probably a lot to the game before it gets repetitive.

          But all this flexibility does come at a modest price. There are lots of
          bits in the game. I have used a Plano 3650 to help organize the bits which
          helps greatly. (A photo of this is pending approval on the Geek). In
          addition, the games does need a fairly large surface to lay out all the
          decks of cards, tokens, and game board.

          But even clocking in at about 3 hours for our first playing, I never felt
          the time drag. The sense of dread and realization that we were losing
          certainly developed, but it was a fun trip the whole way. I do hope that I
          have another chance to explore the evil that lurks within Arkham in the near
          future.

          Rich
        • The Designer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2005
            Hi Rich

            Will be able to make it Aug 9th but wont have net access this week

            Warmly,

            Laurence B.A.,M.A

            member-- http://www.epsilonpitau.org

            The easiest way to make God Laugh is to make plans.