Re: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - Games - June 1 - "T"

  • l scott
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2005
      HI Steve

      I take a every other week attendance. I hope to see and finally meet you
      next week. FYI as you know my group has a Axis and Allies game this sunday.

      Moderator
      http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Axisandalliescontracostacal/
      Warmly.

      Lawrence
      Public Library Internet Access only

      There are only three types of people in this world, those who can count....

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2005
        Something "old" and something new tonight. First, the new - we welcomed
        Steve tonight as he joined us for games after completing a trade with Rich.
        Joining us were Sterling and Dave - no that isn't the something "old" -
        rather it was a repeat playing of the first game I ever played with the
        Tri-Valley Boardgamers - Traders of Genoa. That last playing was on 29
        October 2003, so almost 2 years ago, yet I still remember the basic
        mechanics of the game and a review of the rules filled in the details....

        Traders of Genoa is not only a trading game, but a very definite trading
        game as there are deals to be had every turn and part of a turn. Players
        represent traders wandering around an 8x8 grid of Genoa. The winner of the
        game is the player with the most money. Money is earned by delivering large
        orders (3 wares) to one of the corner villas, by delivering small orders (1
        ware) to one of the other buildings, or by delivering message by having the
        movement on that turn touch the two indicated locations. In addition, the
        active (tower) player can also be induced by the other players via deals to
        move in certain directions. So each turn, the players are trying to deal
        for a favourable move location and hopefully capitalize on that location
        either by delivering goods for money or gaining items (additional orders,
        messages, special privileges).

        With 4 players, the game can last up to 8 rounds. The "up to" is key as
        should movement start in the central market-place, one round is elminated
        from the game. As a result, the game length is never fully known and may
        occur a bit more rapidly at the end than a player desires.

        The first round started with a bit of tentative trading as people tried to
        realize where their initial orders were and how they might be achieved.
        Sterling's initial strategy was to gain ownership markers to gain ownership
        of the cathedral - which would pay Sterling everytime it was used by another
        player. Steve was the first to deliver goods - a small order of pepper to
        the Post Office followed by Rich who traded salt to the Tavern and then used
        the 1:1 trade token from the Tavern to trade Linen for an ownership marker
        to claim ownership of the Post Office...This would let Rich use the building
        action to claim additional messages in future rounds.

        The next round saw the tower start in the marketplace, reducing the total
        rounds to seven max, but it was still early in the game. But not too early
        for the nice sort of cascade that this game allows. Sterling had already
        used 1 action, but possessed an additional action card. He went to the
        palace and used that marker to gain the building action at the palace. As
        he owned the restaurant, he used the just acquired building action to gain
        the 1:1 trade card from the restaurant. This was used to convert wheat to
        pepper to fulfill a small order at the palace.

        As the game developed, each player seemed to have a different speciality.
        Sterling was acquiring the privledge cards hoping for a big payout at game's
        end. Rich used messages to gain a small, but steady stream of income. Dave
        quietly moved the tower gaining income from the other players. Steve seemed
        to be hoarding metals in his play area (we will find out why later).

        In terms of the large orders, Rich sold first. Steve also tried to do so,
        but forgot that he had already used an action that turn and didn't have a
        second action to use. The coach house seemed to be a popular spot - not
        only did Dave own it, but others seemed to pay to get to it, so Dave would
        get "double income" - once from the player seeking the action and once from
        the bank for owning the building.

        In our 7th round, the tower once again started in the marketplace,
        eliminating yet another round. In fact, as it was Steve's turn (last player
        of each round), it also meant that instead of one more turn each, Steve's
        turn would indeed be the last. With the end of the game, the scores were
        tallied.

        We now understood why Steve was collecting metals - he had understood the
        privledge card as a payout of "#" of metal wares owned, not the number of
        connected buildings. Oops. And with that Steve ended at 520 ducats.

        Sterling's privledge card strategy did yield a run of 3 and a run of 4
        buildings for 160 ducats, but could only bring his total up to 630 ducats.

        Rich did manage to sell 3 large orders and quite a few messages for a total
        of 680 ducats, but it was Dave's quiet tower plays that resulted in a game
        ending total of 715 ducats and the win.

        And 3 hours after our session started, we were done. The game was fun to
        play, but a bit overly long. Part of it was due to a reserved play style.
        If we had been a bit more aggressive with deals...anyone want to buy this
        action, going in three, two, one, gone...we can probably quite a bit of time
        from the game. As we tended to think a bit about our moves, we slowed down.
        The two marketplace starts probably an additional 45-60 minutes from the
        game.

        But I enjoy this game...there is always more to do than can be done. Most
        decisions are about certain income now or a chance for a greater payout
        later (that might not occur). As each player is involved in at least part
        of the tower movement, there is relatively little downtime each turn. An
        interesting game that I enjoyed as much tonight as I did 2 years ago, I just
        hope it is quicker than 2 years before my next playing.

        So welcome and thanks Steve for joining us, I hope you can make it again in
        the near future. Until then, we can look forward to next week and games
        starting with "U" - sneak preview - it will be a smallish list.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
          Hey "U"
          Yea, I'm talking to "U"

          Wanna play some games?

          First did everyone catch our 15 seconds of fame on Mark (our fearless
          founder) Johnson's http://boardgamestogo.com/ podcast for 4 June. Give it a
          listen if you have the time (we are towards the end) and the blog at least
          has a link to our session reports on the geek. Now I want everyone to wave
          hello to the lurker in the corner. How's Santa Clarita, Mark?

          Before we get to this week, another quick note - I will be on a business
          trip next week (15 June) and out of town again the following week (23 June).
          As much as I have some V (Volle Hütte, Viva Pamplona) and W (Wallenstein,
          Web of Power) games I wanted to play, I won't stand in the way of progress
          and be back for the ever so popular "X" week (where I have no games that
          fit). As people are responding, please think about hosting as we will need
          alternate hosts for those 2 weeks if the sessions are to continue. Maybe
          Mark Johnson can swing by to host in his JPL provided suite at the local
          Marriot.

          Now for the business at hand - As we journey through the alphabet, we have
          come to "U". Who can attend for games at my house on Wednesday, 8 June
          starting at 6:30? Please RSVP so we know how many we might expect..

          Rich Pardoe

          The "U" List:
          =============

          (2-4) Um Reifenbreite
          (2-4) Up the River
          (2-6) Union Pacific
          (2-7) Under Cover (Heimlich & Co.)
          (3-4) Ursuppe (D)
          (3-6) Ursuppe - Frisch Abgeschmeckt (S)
        • David Wilson
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
            On Sunday, June 5, 2005, at 10:35 PM, Richard Pardoe wrote:

            > Who can attend for games at my house on Wednesday, 8 June
            > starting at 6:30? Please RSVP so we know how many we might expect..

            I can attend, and I'll make sure to bring Ursuppe. Oh, and I have the
            5-6 player expansion as well, all mixed in, so that's coming along for
            the ride.

            By the way, I'll be missing for V week as well, though I should return
            for W.

            Dave
          • Steve Oliver
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
              Rich, I'll be there on Wednesday.

              Steve

              On 6/5/05, Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:
              > Hey "U"
              > Yea, I'm talking to "U"
              >
              > Wanna play some games?

            • Mark Johnson
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                On 6/5/05, Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:
                > First did everyone catch our 15 seconds of fame on Mark (our fearless
                > founder) Johnson's http://boardgamestogo.com/ podcast for 4 June. Give it a
                > listen if you have the time (we are towards the end) and the blog at least
                > has a link to our session reports on the geek. Now I want everyone to wave
                > hello to the lurker in the corner. How's Santa Clarita, Mark?

                Great, thanks! I'm glad you heard the show. Leaving TVB was one of the
                tough parts of my move back in 1998, but my career beckoned. I know
                the group went through some lean years for a while, but I've enjoyed
                being a lurker and seeing how energetic it is again. Sterling, you're
                the common thread from the old days to today!

                > Maybe Mark Johnson can swing by to host in his JPL provided suite at the local
                > Marriot.

                I do hope I'll have a chance to join you sometime. I could even
                provide an X game for your experiment--Xe Queo! (Recommended, too.)

                -Mark

                P.S. Sterling, did you ask me long ago to make some change to my
                website? What was that again?
              • sterlingw@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                  I haven't checked recently, but the site used to say that the TVB were not meeting anymore.  I was just asking you to take that out and point people to this mailing list. :)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 8, 2005
                    Unfortunatly, it does not look like I will make it today.

                    Hey "U"
                    Yea, I'm talking to "U"

                    Wanna play some games?

                    First did everyone catch our 15 seconds of fame on Mark (our fearless
                    founder) Johnson's http://boardgamestogo.com/ podcast for 4 June.  Give it a
                    listen if you have the time (we are towards the end) and the blog at least
                    has a link to our session reports on the geek.  Now I want everyone to wave
                    hello to the lurker in the corner.  How's Santa Clarita, Mark?

                    Before we get to this week, another quick note - I will be on a business
                    trip next week (15 June) and out of town again the following week (23 June).
                    As much as I have some V (Volle H�tte, Viva Pamplona) and W (Wallenstein,

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 9, 2005
                      As I had assumed 5 players, I hadn't really studied any of the games maxing
                      out at 4. But with Sterling unable to make it, we were down to 4 and I had
                      quickly studied Um Reifenbreite at lunch time. Then Steve called to say he
                      wasn't going to make it, and we were down to 3. So when Lawrence and Dave
                      arrived, we had all that we would have this evening.

                      As we reviewedd the U games, Sabrina (my 6 year old daughter) pointed out
                      that Under Cover also started with U and that she had played it. As it
                      plays very quickly, we opened with a 4 player game of Under Cover as Sabrina
                      did join us as our 4th.

                      Of the 7 detectives in the box, Mr. Gray was assigned to guard the box as
                      one needs 2 more detectives than players in the game. Cards were assigned
                      and the investigation begun. Players move any of the detectives around the
                      board hoping to score more points for their detective and fewer points for
                      other detectives without being too obvious so as to avoid being targeted to
                      the ruins (negative points) or the lower point houses. Scoring is triggered
                      when a detective ends his (or her) turn in the house with the secret files.
                      All detectives now socre points based on their current location. As the
                      identities are hidden, one does not know who is which colour. The colours
                      are revealed at game's end. But as this is a session report not a game
                      replay, so I will go ahead and refer to players as we recap the game.

                      The initial moves were tentative as after a series of 4 low rolls (1 for
                      each player) all the detectives had moved exactly 2 spaces. Lawrence and
                      Sabrina started to move their detectives forward while Dave and Rich tried
                      to disguise their identity by pushing a mix of detectives forward (notably
                      yellow which belonged to no one). Rich triggered the first scoring moving
                      the purple (Lawrence) figure to the 7 house containing the secret files.
                      The other detectives were all spread out behind so the first scoring
                      yielded:

                      Purple (Lawrence) - 7 *
                      Yellow (-) - 5
                      Red (Sabrina) - 4
                      Green (Dave) - 3
                      Blue (Rich) - 2
                      Orange (-) - 2

                      And Rich moves the Secret Files to the Ruins just for fun. This space is
                      just 4 spaces away from the last scoring space, so it should be fairly quick
                      to trigger another scoring round. The laggards of the first scoring round
                      (Dave and Rich and the unaffiliated orange) were advanced while the leader
                      was moved by Sabrina onto the ruins to penalize Lawrence 3 points for being
                      in the lead:

                      Green (Dave) - 12 (+9)
                      Yellow (-) - 10 (+5)
                      Blue (Rich) - 9 (+7)
                      Red (Sabrina) - 8 (+4)
                      Orange (-) - 8 (+6)
                      Purple (Lawrence) - 4 (Ruins = -3) *

                      Sabrina moves the files just 1 space (to the church worth 0 points), so the
                      player scramble to get their detectives into the high value buildings just
                      before the ruins, while Lawrence tries to move his purple detective back
                      into the points. Sabrina again triggers the scoring moving Dave's green
                      detective to the church:

                      Yellow (-) - 20 (+10)
                      Blue (Rich) - 19 (+10)
                      Red (Sabrina) - 16 (+ 8)
                      Orange (-) - 14 (+ 6)
                      Green (Dave) - 12 (+ 0) *
                      Purple (Lawrence) - 5 (+ 1)

                      And now the first interesting dynamic occurs...Some of the characters are
                      sitting in the high point houses and some are not, so do you move those
                      players to the low houses or do you try to increase the low pieces to higher
                      pieces. Even though we had a 15 point spread at this point, the scores
                      would collapse such that a few rounds later we had only 5 points separating
                      first from sixth. As we say after the first scoring, people tend to feel
                      safe moving up the laggards while trying not to benefit the leader. This
                      game is very much of trying to be a non-descript second or third most of the
                      game to jump into the lead at the final scoring to take the win.

                      A couple of rounds later and yellow was being left behind - it became
                      obvious as the leaders approached the 42 point winning score that no one had
                      yellow, so no one bothered to move it. Coming out of the penultimate
                      scoring round, we had:

                      Green (Dave) - 40 (+ 7)
                      Purple (Lawrence) - 40 (+ 7)
                      Red (Sabrina) - 37 (+ 5)
                      Blue (Rich) - 36 (+ 5)
                      Orange (-) - 35 (+ 6) *
                      Yellow (-) - 25 (- 3)

                      And the secret files placed onto the 1 house. A 10 point play would put any
                      of the players over the top and end the game. But this game is more than
                      just scoring points, it is always about scoring points relative to the other
                      plyaers. For example, in order for Sabrina to win, she needs to score at
                      least 6 points, but 3 more points than Lawrence or Dave. But as you can see
                      from the scoring, Sabrina is sitting 2 houses behind Dave and Lawrence, so
                      will need to push them into the ruins or beyond....Is there enough time to
                      get this done? Not really, as Dave needs only 2 more points to end the
                      game. A roll of 6 and Dave sets up the final scoring placing his character
                      on the 10 point house and jumping into the final lead.

                      Green (Dave) - 50 (+10)
                      Blue (Rich) - 46 (+10)
                      Purple (Lawrence) - 45 (+ 5)
                      Red (Sabrina) - 44 (+ 7)
                      Orange (-) - 43 (+ 7)
                      Yellow (-) - 26 (+ 1) *

                      In fact, I was surprised that Dave didn't move my blue character 1 space to
                      the -3, but by leaving me in the 10 point house, I jumped from 4th to
                      second. As noted above, the scores tend to stretch apart and then contract.
                      Ignoring yellow (which was dropped from the race), only 7 points separate
                      1st from 5th and only 6 points separate the players.

                      Looking back at the scoring, Dave and Lawrence managed to sit on the 7 point
                      house for nearly 4 rounds or half the scoring in the game...This is just too
                      much to give to any player. But they were also trailing in 4th place or so,
                      so what's the harm thought Sabrina and Rich...The harm is that they had
                      momentum as the final rounds approached. Not only that, they had 3 higher
                      point houses in front of them so could move modestly and swoop in for the
                      victory. Dave did exactly that for a well-played win. Lawrence swooped,
                      but a bit too far and found himself in the lower point (relative to the
                      others) houses so couldn't hold on.

                      Personally, I enjoy Under Cover. One can play these seriously, trying to
                      deduce who has what character. Or one can play this casually with only some
                      thought about moves. As a result, I think this does work well for both
                      adults (but more as a filler) and for children. It is also a game that both
                      can play together. And it plays quickly. We were finished in less than 30
                      minutes.

                      With our gaming skills warmed up, we moved on to the main game of the
                      evening. Sabrina excused herself as it was close to her bedtime. That left
                      3 players to decide between Ursuppe, Um Reifenbreite, and Union Pacific.
                      Having just played a roll and move game, we opted to change flavour a bit
                      and play Union Pacific.

                      Union Pacific is Alan Moon's stock/train game where each turn a player
                      either develops one of the railways on the board (increasing it's value to
                      shareholders) picking up a railway share (might be any company) in the
                      process or a player invests in a company by playing shares from one's hand
                      to the table. Scoring is triggered by 4 dividend cards placed in the share
                      deck, so occurs semi-randomly.

                      Lawrence decided to start with Union Pacific stock while Dave went with
                      Miami Southern (yellow) while Rich went with Sioux Fall Royal Blue (more
                      Purple than Royal Blue. Interestingly, each player held the majority in
                      their initial company throughout the game.

                      The first dividend card popped up rather quickly. After starting with MS
                      (yellow), Dave had expanded to Denver Midland (black) and Billings Northern
                      Light (red) scoring $16 Million combined for those 3 lines. Lawrence
                      couldn't capitolize on his 2 UP shares in the first round, but did manage to
                      be the sole shareholder in Kansas City Central (brown) and with minority
                      holdings 5 other companies managed to score $14 Million. It was Rich who
                      jumped ahead as he had developed SFBR (purple) to 6 locos and was the sole
                      shareholder scoring $10 Million for that line and $8 Million for El Paso Rio
                      Grande (Green) combined with a couple of other companies for $21 Million.

                      The second dividen card followed rather quickly after the first, but some
                      changes had occurred. Lawrence had invested in BNL (red) to become the
                      majority shareholder. Seeing 3 United Mexican Railway (white) shares for
                      draw, Rich decided to invest and build a few locos - being the only
                      shareholder in UMR (white). Dave had played a single share of Empire State
                      Line (orange), but this was just before Rich played 3 shares (which he had
                      planned on doing even before Dave's move). As a result, Dave scored about
                      the same as the first round $18 Million as increases in ESL (orange) and DM
                      (black) offset the loss in BNL (red). Lawrence was the sole UP shareholder,
                      so picked up a nice $10 Million in addition to his previous holdings to net
                      $35 Million for the round. While Rich managed $10 Million for EPRG (green),
                      $7 Million for SFRB (purple), $4 Million for UMR, plus other holdings for
                      $26 Million for the round.

                      Dave was just about to play the UP stock before the dividend card was turned
                      up, so promptly played it after to avoid getting aced out of its dividend.
                      Rich continued to develop UMR and in fact had 3 additional shares in hand.
                      Rich could have played these at any time to assert his majority, but with no
                      other shares out, why play them? Similarly, for the EPRG. Out of 18
                      possible shares, Rich held the majority with 3 cards on the table and had at
                      least 3 more in hand. As the other players were developing other lines, no
                      need to play any more shares than necessary to keep the majority holding.
                      In fact, other than Dave playing UP shares to tie Lawrence, none of the
                      majorities changed when the 3rd dividend card was rapidly played. The
                      scoring this round was a bit more even. Dave and Lawrence both sahred the
                      UP lead so each gained $13 Million. Dave added majorities in MS (yellow)
                      and DM (black) worth $7 Million each with other holdings to gain $32 Million
                      for the round. Lawrence also added his majority in KCC (brown) for $7
                      Million, BNL (red) for $6 Million, and other holdings for $36 Million for
                      the round. Rich was rewarded with sole ownership of UMR (white) for $6
                      Million as well as majority holdings in SFRB (purple) for $7 Million, and
                      EPRG (green) for $11 Million for a total fo $32 Million for the round also.

                      So after 3 quick payouts, we dreaded the forth and final payout, but it
                      would be some time in coming. Dave and Lawrence launched into a bit of a UP
                      share war trying to one-up each other, but the difference in payout is only
                      $4 Million. From the 2 shares at the end of Round 3, Dave had built up to 6
                      shares while Lawrence had 7 shares. Rich was not to be denied, playing a
                      couple of shares and then deciding that 3rd place ($12 Million) was just
                      fine. Let the others fight over UP while Rich developed on the board. It
                      was the UMR (white) that got developed by Rich and all 11 trains were played
                      to the board. In this round, Dave decided to do the same with MS (yellow).
                      It was also fully developed with all 17 trains on the board. The other
                      major railway on the board was EPRG which managed to get 14 of 23 trains on
                      the board. Not as large, but perhaps large percentage wise, SFRB (purple)
                      managed to build 8 of 13 trains on the board. Dave held the majority in MS
                      and hoped it would be sufficient to help catch the leader. When the forth
                      dividend card was revealed, Rich and Lawrence both $58 Million for the round
                      while Dave did gain with $65 Million for the round.

                      Adding all the scores, the winner was Lawrence in a well-fought battle:

                      Lawrence: $143 Million
                      Rich: $137 Million
                      Dave: $133 Million

                      Note to Dave/Lawrence: I had a mistake in my notes. I had double counted
                      my EPRG dividend in Round 2 giving myself an additional (but unearned) $10
                      Million. Notes above have corrected that mistake.

                      There were some oddities in this game...One railway, Wyoming & Western
                      (gray) was never developed and shares were never played. Rich managed to
                      old the sole ownership of UMR (white) with a single share the entire game,
                      but built it up to all 11 trains. But Rich did hold 6 of the other 7 shares
                      in his hand, so knew no one could take the majority away from me.
                      Similarly, Rich held the majority of EPRG with 3 cards on the table, but
                      again, he held 7 additional share cards in his hand, enough to guarantee the
                      majority. In general, the Eastern US was not developed. ESL stayed small
                      with only 5 trains on the track. The other likely railway (Marquette Rocky
                      Road (lt. blue) was never developed past 2 trains.

                      But that is not to say the game was played without mistakes. I personally
                      think it was a mistake for Dave (or) Lawrence to try to outbid on UP shares.
                      More value was likely to be had from the companies on the board than
                      fighting over the $4 Million. But then again, Dave +$4 Million and Lawrence
                      -$4 Million would have resulted in only $1 Million separating the final
                      scores. The bigger impact was the dividend card appearing right before Dave
                      got to play his UP shares.

                      Due to the length of the 4th phase (ie after the first 3 dividend cards),
                      both UMR (white) and MS (yellow) were fully developed. While the first 3
                      dividend cards did occur rather quickly, I wonder if would have been more
                      fruitful to develop one or both these lines a bit earlier to reap the
                      benefits in both the third and forth dividend scoring.

                      But that is what I like about UP. There is always the question of timing.
                      Do I increase the value of the railways (and delay investing) or do I invest
                      at the current value? The game does have a luck factor as to when the
                      dividend cards arrive. Even though we did seed the deck to spread the cards
                      out, we did hit a very assymetric distribution. But that just adds to the
                      tension of the gameplay. An enjoyable win with a close victory for
                      Lawrence.

                      Finally, with a few minutes left in the session, we tried Saboteur. I know
                      this is not a "U" game, but it does play rather nicely in about 20-30
                      minutes. Players are dwarves trying to dig a tunnel to the buried gold
                      nugget. The twist is that one of the player might be a saboteur trying to
                      prevent the other players. For 3 players, 3 dwarf cards and 1 saboteur card
                      are shuffled and dealt to the players. The card indicates that person's
                      role this round. As the extra card is not revealed, it is not automatic
                      that there is a saboteur.

                      In addition to playing "tunnel" cards depicting the freshly dug tunnel,
                      there are action cards that disable the digging equipment (pick, mine cart,
                      lantern) or repair damaged equipment. There are cards to remove previously
                      played cards, and maps that let the player peek under one of the 3 target
                      cards. Gold is found only under 1 card as the other 2 just contain rocks.
                      If the dwarves dig to the gold, they win and share in the gold. If the
                      cards are exhausted before the gold can be found, the saboteur wins.

                      In the first round, Rich was the saboteur and tried to be nonchalent about
                      his mischief. He would extend tunnels but not directly toward the goal(s).
                      He didn't damage anyone's equipment directly, but only in retaliation. But
                      as the game progressed, Dave and Lawrence both suspected Rich and not only
                      broke his pick, but smashed his lantern, and tipped over his mine cart.
                      Rich could dig no more until these items were repaired. The draw deck was
                      exhausted and players were just playing from their hands with the tunnel but
                      1 card away from the gold. Lawrence didn't have the necessary card, but did
                      repair Dave's broken lantern allowing Dave to dig to the gold for a dwarven
                      victory (but barely as each had only a couple of cards left in hand). The
                      gold discovery turned out to be rather small as Dave and Lawrences shared a
                      total of 3 gold nuggets. 2 (1+1) to Dave for discovering the gold, and 1 to
                      Lawrence for helping.

                      In the second round, Dave was the saboteur and a bit more direct than Rich
                      as he dead-ended the path to the target cards. This quickly invited a
                      flurry of broken equipment. Dave tried to retialiate, but again Lawrence
                      helped out, this time by repairing Rich's broken cart. Rich dug to the
                      gold. This one was a bit larger node as Rich managed to get 3 nuggets (2+1)
                      while sharing 1 with Lawrence. So after a quick 2 rounds, Rich was the
                      winner with 3 nuggets to Dave and Lawrences 2 each. (We thought about a 3rd
                      round as called for in the rules, but it was past the end time for the
                      session and we all had a good idea about the game.)

                      The one rule we did not utilize is that dwarves with broken equipment do NOT
                      receive any of the gold at the end. In a small-player-number game such as
                      ours, it might make sense to use this rule. It might encourage a bit of
                      doubt and suspicion about the other players. Did he break my pick because
                      he is the saboteur or because he wants all the gold? This might add an
                      interesting dynamic to the game.

                      But I can sense that the game would be fun with more players. Each round
                      lasts about 10~15 minutes, so this is easily a game that can be played over
                      lunch. An enjoyable quick game that I hope I can play again soon.

                      Well, it is late and those are my thoughts for tonight.

                      Remember, I will not be in town next week. Dave is also unavailable, so
                      unless someone steps up to volunteer to host (and send such announcement to
                      the list), we are without a host and a location for next week. I am out of
                      town the following week also, but will leave it to the group to decide if,
                      how, and when they will meet.

                      So so long for now, and I will see you all again in 3 weeks.

                      Rich
                    • Steve Oliver
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 9, 2005
                        Way to go, Dad! It's great to see your daughter enjoying games (and
                        apparently doing pretty well, too!!). Every hobby needs people who
                        pass along its enjoyment to the next generation, and ours is no
                        exception. I think it's easy to assume that kids will just pick up
                        games along the way on their own, but the reality is that many gamers
                        had an adult in their lives (parent, grandparent, etc.) who got them
                        excited about games and kept them going.

                        And great session report, BTW. Sorry I had to bail out with such
                        short notice -- looks like I missed a great game!

                        Steve