Re: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - Games - June 1 - "T"

  • sterlingw@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2005
      Welcome Steve, looking forward to meeting you Wednesday.  I have pulled you off the moderated list.  I'm not sure why, but I didn't get a message that there was a pending message this time.  Sorry it took so long.

      Sterling

      Hi there Tri Valley Gamers --

      I'm Steve and play in Alameda at a weekly game night we hold at a
      coffee shop.  Rich and I are trading some games and to save postage he
      invited me to join you all on Wednesday after our game trade, so I'll
      be there at 6:30 and looking forward to meeting your group and playing
      some games.

      The "T" list has some real winners, including one of my all-time
      favorites and one that we play several times a month on our Tuesday
      nights, and that's Typo.  It's a cross between 6 Nimmt and Scrabble.
      I'll bring it along in case anyone would like to play it.

      See you Wednesday!

      Steve

      On 5/30/05, Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:
      >  I hope everyone is enjoying the long holiday weekend.  For our
      > international
      >  readers - the US has a holiday today and I believe the UK also has a bank
      >  holiday.  So I hope those that don't have the day off can enjoy some part
      > of
      >  today also.  But I didn't post to talk of holidays, but of games.  We are
      >  winding down for the final stretch of our alphabetic journey.  This week we
      >  will look at games that fit our schedule to a "T"...Not as many games as
      > "S"
      >  but plenty to consider.

      >  Who can join me to play a one, two, or a few "T" games at my house on
      >  Wednesday evening starting at 6:30 pm?

      >  Rich

      >  The "T" List
      >  ============

      >  (2-2) Tally Ho
      >  (2-2) Tom Tube

      >  (2-4) Tiger Ist Los, der
      >  (2-4) Tigris & Euphrates
      >  (2-4) Tikal
      >  (2-4) Turbo Taxi
      >  (2-4) Tyranno Ex (D)

      >  (2-5) Telebohn
      >  (2-5) Through the Desert
      >  (2-5) Ticket to Ride
      >  (2-5) Ticket to Ride Europe
      >  (2-5) Ticket to Ride: Mystery Train Expansion
      >  (2-5) Traders of Genoa, The
      >  (2-5) Trias

      >  (2-6) Talisman (w/ Expansions) (S)
      >  (2-6) Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas Game (S)
      >  (2-6) Tongiaki
      >  (2-6) TransAmerica
      >  (2-6) Tutanchamun
      >  (2-6) Typo

      >  (2-8) TATATA!

      >  (3-4) Tahuantinsuyu
      >  (3-4) Tonga Bonga

      >  (3-5) Tin Soldiers (D)

    • l scott
      Message 2 of 20 , May 31, 2005
        HI Steve

        I take a every other week attendance. I hope to see and finally meet you
        next week. FYI as you know my group has a Axis and Allies game this sunday.

        Moderator
        http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Axisandalliescontracostacal/
        Warmly.

        Lawrence
        Public Library Internet Access only

        There are only three types of people in this world, those who can count....

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2005
          Something "old" and something new tonight. First, the new - we welcomed
          Steve tonight as he joined us for games after completing a trade with Rich.
          Joining us were Sterling and Dave - no that isn't the something "old" -
          rather it was a repeat playing of the first game I ever played with the
          Tri-Valley Boardgamers - Traders of Genoa. That last playing was on 29
          October 2003, so almost 2 years ago, yet I still remember the basic
          mechanics of the game and a review of the rules filled in the details....

          Traders of Genoa is not only a trading game, but a very definite trading
          game as there are deals to be had every turn and part of a turn. Players
          represent traders wandering around an 8x8 grid of Genoa. The winner of the
          game is the player with the most money. Money is earned by delivering large
          orders (3 wares) to one of the corner villas, by delivering small orders (1
          ware) to one of the other buildings, or by delivering message by having the
          movement on that turn touch the two indicated locations. In addition, the
          active (tower) player can also be induced by the other players via deals to
          move in certain directions. So each turn, the players are trying to deal
          for a favourable move location and hopefully capitalize on that location
          either by delivering goods for money or gaining items (additional orders,
          messages, special privileges).

          With 4 players, the game can last up to 8 rounds. The "up to" is key as
          should movement start in the central market-place, one round is elminated
          from the game. As a result, the game length is never fully known and may
          occur a bit more rapidly at the end than a player desires.

          The first round started with a bit of tentative trading as people tried to
          realize where their initial orders were and how they might be achieved.
          Sterling's initial strategy was to gain ownership markers to gain ownership
          of the cathedral - which would pay Sterling everytime it was used by another
          player. Steve was the first to deliver goods - a small order of pepper to
          the Post Office followed by Rich who traded salt to the Tavern and then used
          the 1:1 trade token from the Tavern to trade Linen for an ownership marker
          to claim ownership of the Post Office...This would let Rich use the building
          action to claim additional messages in future rounds.

          The next round saw the tower start in the marketplace, reducing the total
          rounds to seven max, but it was still early in the game. But not too early
          for the nice sort of cascade that this game allows. Sterling had already
          used 1 action, but possessed an additional action card. He went to the
          palace and used that marker to gain the building action at the palace. As
          he owned the restaurant, he used the just acquired building action to gain
          the 1:1 trade card from the restaurant. This was used to convert wheat to
          pepper to fulfill a small order at the palace.

          As the game developed, each player seemed to have a different speciality.
          Sterling was acquiring the privledge cards hoping for a big payout at game's
          end. Rich used messages to gain a small, but steady stream of income. Dave
          quietly moved the tower gaining income from the other players. Steve seemed
          to be hoarding metals in his play area (we will find out why later).

          In terms of the large orders, Rich sold first. Steve also tried to do so,
          but forgot that he had already used an action that turn and didn't have a
          second action to use. The coach house seemed to be a popular spot - not
          only did Dave own it, but others seemed to pay to get to it, so Dave would
          get "double income" - once from the player seeking the action and once from
          the bank for owning the building.

          In our 7th round, the tower once again started in the marketplace,
          eliminating yet another round. In fact, as it was Steve's turn (last player
          of each round), it also meant that instead of one more turn each, Steve's
          turn would indeed be the last. With the end of the game, the scores were
          tallied.

          We now understood why Steve was collecting metals - he had understood the
          privledge card as a payout of "#" of metal wares owned, not the number of
          connected buildings. Oops. And with that Steve ended at 520 ducats.

          Sterling's privledge card strategy did yield a run of 3 and a run of 4
          buildings for 160 ducats, but could only bring his total up to 630 ducats.

          Rich did manage to sell 3 large orders and quite a few messages for a total
          of 680 ducats, but it was Dave's quiet tower plays that resulted in a game
          ending total of 715 ducats and the win.

          And 3 hours after our session started, we were done. The game was fun to
          play, but a bit overly long. Part of it was due to a reserved play style.
          If we had been a bit more aggressive with deals...anyone want to buy this
          action, going in three, two, one, gone...we can probably quite a bit of time
          from the game. As we tended to think a bit about our moves, we slowed down.
          The two marketplace starts probably an additional 45-60 minutes from the
          game.

          But I enjoy this game...there is always more to do than can be done. Most
          decisions are about certain income now or a chance for a greater payout
          later (that might not occur). As each player is involved in at least part
          of the tower movement, there is relatively little downtime each turn. An
          interesting game that I enjoyed as much tonight as I did 2 years ago, I just
          hope it is quicker than 2 years before my next playing.

          So welcome and thanks Steve for joining us, I hope you can make it again in
          the near future. Until then, we can look forward to next week and games
          starting with "U" - sneak preview - it will be a smallish list.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
            Hey "U"
            Yea, I'm talking to "U"

            Wanna play some games?

            First did everyone catch our 15 seconds of fame on Mark (our fearless
            founder) Johnson's http://boardgamestogo.com/ podcast for 4 June. Give it a
            listen if you have the time (we are towards the end) and the blog at least
            has a link to our session reports on the geek. Now I want everyone to wave
            hello to the lurker in the corner. How's Santa Clarita, Mark?

            Before we get to this week, another quick note - I will be on a business
            trip next week (15 June) and out of town again the following week (23 June).
            As much as I have some V (Volle Hütte, Viva Pamplona) and W (Wallenstein,
            Web of Power) games I wanted to play, I won't stand in the way of progress
            and be back for the ever so popular "X" week (where I have no games that
            fit). As people are responding, please think about hosting as we will need
            alternate hosts for those 2 weeks if the sessions are to continue. Maybe
            Mark Johnson can swing by to host in his JPL provided suite at the local
            Marriot.

            Now for the business at hand - As we journey through the alphabet, we have
            come to "U". Who can attend for games at my house on Wednesday, 8 June
            starting at 6:30? Please RSVP so we know how many we might expect..

            Rich Pardoe

            The "U" List:
            =============

            (2-4) Um Reifenbreite
            (2-4) Up the River
            (2-6) Union Pacific
            (2-7) Under Cover (Heimlich & Co.)
            (3-4) Ursuppe (D)
            (3-6) Ursuppe - Frisch Abgeschmeckt (S)
          • David Wilson
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
              On Sunday, June 5, 2005, at 10:35 PM, Richard Pardoe wrote:

              > Who can attend for games at my house on Wednesday, 8 June
              > starting at 6:30? Please RSVP so we know how many we might expect..

              I can attend, and I'll make sure to bring Ursuppe. Oh, and I have the
              5-6 player expansion as well, all mixed in, so that's coming along for
              the ride.

              By the way, I'll be missing for V week as well, though I should return
              for W.

              Dave
            • Steve Oliver
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                Rich, I'll be there on Wednesday.

                Steve

                On 6/5/05, Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:
                > Hey "U"
                > Yea, I'm talking to "U"
                >
                > Wanna play some games?

              • Mark Johnson
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                  On 6/5/05, Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:
                  > First did everyone catch our 15 seconds of fame on Mark (our fearless
                  > founder) Johnson's http://boardgamestogo.com/ podcast for 4 June. Give it a
                  > listen if you have the time (we are towards the end) and the blog at least
                  > has a link to our session reports on the geek. Now I want everyone to wave
                  > hello to the lurker in the corner. How's Santa Clarita, Mark?

                  Great, thanks! I'm glad you heard the show. Leaving TVB was one of the
                  tough parts of my move back in 1998, but my career beckoned. I know
                  the group went through some lean years for a while, but I've enjoyed
                  being a lurker and seeing how energetic it is again. Sterling, you're
                  the common thread from the old days to today!

                  > Maybe Mark Johnson can swing by to host in his JPL provided suite at the local
                  > Marriot.

                  I do hope I'll have a chance to join you sometime. I could even
                  provide an X game for your experiment--Xe Queo! (Recommended, too.)

                  -Mark

                  P.S. Sterling, did you ask me long ago to make some change to my
                  website? What was that again?
                • sterlingw@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                    I haven't checked recently, but the site used to say that the TVB were not meeting anymore.  I was just asking you to take that out and point people to this mailing list. :)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 8, 2005
                      Unfortunatly, it does not look like I will make it today.

                      Hey "U"
                      Yea, I'm talking to "U"

                      Wanna play some games?

                      First did everyone catch our 15 seconds of fame on Mark (our fearless
                      founder) Johnson's http://boardgamestogo.com/ podcast for 4 June.  Give it a
                      listen if you have the time (we are towards the end) and the blog at least
                      has a link to our session reports on the geek.  Now I want everyone to wave
                      hello to the lurker in the corner.  How's Santa Clarita, Mark?

                      Before we get to this week, another quick note - I will be on a business
                      trip next week (15 June) and out of town again the following week (23 June).
                      As much as I have some V (Volle H�tte, Viva Pamplona) and W (Wallenstein,

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 9, 2005
                        As I had assumed 5 players, I hadn't really studied any of the games maxing
                        out at 4. But with Sterling unable to make it, we were down to 4 and I had
                        quickly studied Um Reifenbreite at lunch time. Then Steve called to say he
                        wasn't going to make it, and we were down to 3. So when Lawrence and Dave
                        arrived, we had all that we would have this evening.

                        As we reviewedd the U games, Sabrina (my 6 year old daughter) pointed out
                        that Under Cover also started with U and that she had played it. As it
                        plays very quickly, we opened with a 4 player game of Under Cover as Sabrina
                        did join us as our 4th.

                        Of the 7 detectives in the box, Mr. Gray was assigned to guard the box as
                        one needs 2 more detectives than players in the game. Cards were assigned
                        and the investigation begun. Players move any of the detectives around the
                        board hoping to score more points for their detective and fewer points for
                        other detectives without being too obvious so as to avoid being targeted to
                        the ruins (negative points) or the lower point houses. Scoring is triggered
                        when a detective ends his (or her) turn in the house with the secret files.
                        All detectives now socre points based on their current location. As the
                        identities are hidden, one does not know who is which colour. The colours
                        are revealed at game's end. But as this is a session report not a game
                        replay, so I will go ahead and refer to players as we recap the game.

                        The initial moves were tentative as after a series of 4 low rolls (1 for
                        each player) all the detectives had moved exactly 2 spaces. Lawrence and
                        Sabrina started to move their detectives forward while Dave and Rich tried
                        to disguise their identity by pushing a mix of detectives forward (notably
                        yellow which belonged to no one). Rich triggered the first scoring moving
                        the purple (Lawrence) figure to the 7 house containing the secret files.
                        The other detectives were all spread out behind so the first scoring
                        yielded:

                        Purple (Lawrence) - 7 *
                        Yellow (-) - 5
                        Red (Sabrina) - 4
                        Green (Dave) - 3
                        Blue (Rich) - 2
                        Orange (-) - 2

                        And Rich moves the Secret Files to the Ruins just for fun. This space is
                        just 4 spaces away from the last scoring space, so it should be fairly quick
                        to trigger another scoring round. The laggards of the first scoring round
                        (Dave and Rich and the unaffiliated orange) were advanced while the leader
                        was moved by Sabrina onto the ruins to penalize Lawrence 3 points for being
                        in the lead:

                        Green (Dave) - 12 (+9)
                        Yellow (-) - 10 (+5)
                        Blue (Rich) - 9 (+7)
                        Red (Sabrina) - 8 (+4)
                        Orange (-) - 8 (+6)
                        Purple (Lawrence) - 4 (Ruins = -3) *

                        Sabrina moves the files just 1 space (to the church worth 0 points), so the
                        player scramble to get their detectives into the high value buildings just
                        before the ruins, while Lawrence tries to move his purple detective back
                        into the points. Sabrina again triggers the scoring moving Dave's green
                        detective to the church:

                        Yellow (-) - 20 (+10)
                        Blue (Rich) - 19 (+10)
                        Red (Sabrina) - 16 (+ 8)
                        Orange (-) - 14 (+ 6)
                        Green (Dave) - 12 (+ 0) *
                        Purple (Lawrence) - 5 (+ 1)

                        And now the first interesting dynamic occurs...Some of the characters are
                        sitting in the high point houses and some are not, so do you move those
                        players to the low houses or do you try to increase the low pieces to higher
                        pieces. Even though we had a 15 point spread at this point, the scores
                        would collapse such that a few rounds later we had only 5 points separating
                        first from sixth. As we say after the first scoring, people tend to feel
                        safe moving up the laggards while trying not to benefit the leader. This
                        game is very much of trying to be a non-descript second or third most of the
                        game to jump into the lead at the final scoring to take the win.

                        A couple of rounds later and yellow was being left behind - it became
                        obvious as the leaders approached the 42 point winning score that no one had
                        yellow, so no one bothered to move it. Coming out of the penultimate
                        scoring round, we had:

                        Green (Dave) - 40 (+ 7)
                        Purple (Lawrence) - 40 (+ 7)
                        Red (Sabrina) - 37 (+ 5)
                        Blue (Rich) - 36 (+ 5)
                        Orange (-) - 35 (+ 6) *
                        Yellow (-) - 25 (- 3)

                        And the secret files placed onto the 1 house. A 10 point play would put any
                        of the players over the top and end the game. But this game is more than
                        just scoring points, it is always about scoring points relative to the other
                        plyaers. For example, in order for Sabrina to win, she needs to score at
                        least 6 points, but 3 more points than Lawrence or Dave. But as you can see
                        from the scoring, Sabrina is sitting 2 houses behind Dave and Lawrence, so
                        will need to push them into the ruins or beyond....Is there enough time to
                        get this done? Not really, as Dave needs only 2 more points to end the
                        game. A roll of 6 and Dave sets up the final scoring placing his character
                        on the 10 point house and jumping into the final lead.

                        Green (Dave) - 50 (+10)
                        Blue (Rich) - 46 (+10)
                        Purple (Lawrence) - 45 (+ 5)
                        Red (Sabrina) - 44 (+ 7)
                        Orange (-) - 43 (+ 7)
                        Yellow (-) - 26 (+ 1) *

                        In fact, I was surprised that Dave didn't move my blue character 1 space to
                        the -3, but by leaving me in the 10 point house, I jumped from 4th to
                        second. As noted above, the scores tend to stretch apart and then contract.
                        Ignoring yellow (which was dropped from the race), only 7 points separate
                        1st from 5th and only 6 points separate the players.

                        Looking back at the scoring, Dave and Lawrence managed to sit on the 7 point
                        house for nearly 4 rounds or half the scoring in the game...This is just too
                        much to give to any player. But they were also trailing in 4th place or so,
                        so what's the harm thought Sabrina and Rich...The harm is that they had
                        momentum as the final rounds approached. Not only that, they had 3 higher
                        point houses in front of them so could move modestly and swoop in for the
                        victory. Dave did exactly that for a well-played win. Lawrence swooped,
                        but a bit too far and found himself in the lower point (relative to the
                        others) houses so couldn't hold on.

                        Personally, I enjoy Under Cover. One can play these seriously, trying to
                        deduce who has what character. Or one can play this casually with only some
                        thought about moves. As a result, I think this does work well for both
                        adults (but more as a filler) and for children. It is also a game that both
                        can play together. And it plays quickly. We were finished in less than 30
                        minutes.

                        With our gaming skills warmed up, we moved on to the main game of the
                        evening. Sabrina excused herself as it was close to her bedtime. That left
                        3 players to decide between Ursuppe, Um Reifenbreite, and Union Pacific.
                        Having just played a roll and move game, we opted to change flavour a bit
                        and play Union Pacific.

                        Union Pacific is Alan Moon's stock/train game where each turn a player
                        either develops one of the railways on the board (increasing it's value to
                        shareholders) picking up a railway share (might be any company) in the
                        process or a player invests in a company by playing shares from one's hand
                        to the table. Scoring is triggered by 4 dividend cards placed in the share
                        deck, so occurs semi-randomly.

                        Lawrence decided to start with Union Pacific stock while Dave went with
                        Miami Southern (yellow) while Rich went with Sioux Fall Royal Blue (more
                        Purple than Royal Blue. Interestingly, each player held the majority in
                        their initial company throughout the game.

                        The first dividend card popped up rather quickly. After starting with MS
                        (yellow), Dave had expanded to Denver Midland (black) and Billings Northern
                        Light (red) scoring $16 Million combined for those 3 lines. Lawrence
                        couldn't capitolize on his 2 UP shares in the first round, but did manage to
                        be the sole shareholder in Kansas City Central (brown) and with minority
                        holdings 5 other companies managed to score $14 Million. It was Rich who
                        jumped ahead as he had developed SFBR (purple) to 6 locos and was the sole
                        shareholder scoring $10 Million for that line and $8 Million for El Paso Rio
                        Grande (Green) combined with a couple of other companies for $21 Million.

                        The second dividen card followed rather quickly after the first, but some
                        changes had occurred. Lawrence had invested in BNL (red) to become the
                        majority shareholder. Seeing 3 United Mexican Railway (white) shares for
                        draw, Rich decided to invest and build a few locos - being the only
                        shareholder in UMR (white). Dave had played a single share of Empire State
                        Line (orange), but this was just before Rich played 3 shares (which he had
                        planned on doing even before Dave's move). As a result, Dave scored about
                        the same as the first round $18 Million as increases in ESL (orange) and DM
                        (black) offset the loss in BNL (red). Lawrence was the sole UP shareholder,
                        so picked up a nice $10 Million in addition to his previous holdings to net
                        $35 Million for the round. While Rich managed $10 Million for EPRG (green),
                        $7 Million for SFRB (purple), $4 Million for UMR, plus other holdings for
                        $26 Million for the round.

                        Dave was just about to play the UP stock before the dividend card was turned
                        up, so promptly played it after to avoid getting aced out of its dividend.
                        Rich continued to develop UMR and in fact had 3 additional shares in hand.
                        Rich could have played these at any time to assert his majority, but with no
                        other shares out, why play them? Similarly, for the EPRG. Out of 18
                        possible shares, Rich held the majority with 3 cards on the table and had at
                        least 3 more in hand. As the other players were developing other lines, no
                        need to play any more shares than necessary to keep the majority holding.
                        In fact, other than Dave playing UP shares to tie Lawrence, none of the
                        majorities changed when the 3rd dividend card was rapidly played. The
                        scoring this round was a bit more even. Dave and Lawrence both sahred the
                        UP lead so each gained $13 Million. Dave added majorities in MS (yellow)
                        and DM (black) worth $7 Million each with other holdings to gain $32 Million
                        for the round. Lawrence also added his majority in KCC (brown) for $7
                        Million, BNL (red) for $6 Million, and other holdings for $36 Million for
                        the round. Rich was rewarded with sole ownership of UMR (white) for $6
                        Million as well as majority holdings in SFRB (purple) for $7 Million, and
                        EPRG (green) for $11 Million for a total fo $32 Million for the round also.

                        So after 3 quick payouts, we dreaded the forth and final payout, but it
                        would be some time in coming. Dave and Lawrence launched into a bit of a UP
                        share war trying to one-up each other, but the difference in payout is only
                        $4 Million. From the 2 shares at the end of Round 3, Dave had built up to 6
                        shares while Lawrence had 7 shares. Rich was not to be denied, playing a
                        couple of shares and then deciding that 3rd place ($12 Million) was just
                        fine. Let the others fight over UP while Rich developed on the board. It
                        was the UMR (white) that got developed by Rich and all 11 trains were played
                        to the board. In this round, Dave decided to do the same with MS (yellow).
                        It was also fully developed with all 17 trains on the board. The other
                        major railway on the board was EPRG which managed to get 14 of 23 trains on
                        the board. Not as large, but perhaps large percentage wise, SFRB (purple)
                        managed to build 8 of 13 trains on the board. Dave held the majority in MS
                        and hoped it would be sufficient to help catch the leader. When the forth
                        dividend card was revealed, Rich and Lawrence both $58 Million for the round
                        while Dave did gain with $65 Million for the round.

                        Adding all the scores, the winner was Lawrence in a well-fought battle:

                        Lawrence: $143 Million
                        Rich: $137 Million
                        Dave: $133 Million

                        Note to Dave/Lawrence: I had a mistake in my notes. I had double counted
                        my EPRG dividend in Round 2 giving myself an additional (but unearned) $10
                        Million. Notes above have corrected that mistake.

                        There were some oddities in this game...One railway, Wyoming & Western
                        (gray) was never developed and shares were never played. Rich managed to
                        old the sole ownership of UMR (white) with a single share the entire game,
                        but built it up to all 11 trains. But Rich did hold 6 of the other 7 shares
                        in his hand, so knew no one could take the majority away from me.
                        Similarly, Rich held the majority of EPRG with 3 cards on the table, but
                        again, he held 7 additional share cards in his hand, enough to guarantee the
                        majority. In general, the Eastern US was not developed. ESL stayed small
                        with only 5 trains on the track. The other likely railway (Marquette Rocky
                        Road (lt. blue) was never developed past 2 trains.

                        But that is not to say the game was played without mistakes. I personally
                        think it was a mistake for Dave (or) Lawrence to try to outbid on UP shares.
                        More value was likely to be had from the companies on the board than
                        fighting over the $4 Million. But then again, Dave +$4 Million and Lawrence
                        -$4 Million would have resulted in only $1 Million separating the final
                        scores. The bigger impact was the dividend card appearing right before Dave
                        got to play his UP shares.

                        Due to the length of the 4th phase (ie after the first 3 dividend cards),
                        both UMR (white) and MS (yellow) were fully developed. While the first 3
                        dividend cards did occur rather quickly, I wonder if would have been more
                        fruitful to develop one or both these lines a bit earlier to reap the
                        benefits in both the third and forth dividend scoring.

                        But that is what I like about UP. There is always the question of timing.
                        Do I increase the value of the railways (and delay investing) or do I invest
                        at the current value? The game does have a luck factor as to when the
                        dividend cards arrive. Even though we did seed the deck to spread the cards
                        out, we did hit a very assymetric distribution. But that just adds to the
                        tension of the gameplay. An enjoyable win with a close victory for
                        Lawrence.

                        Finally, with a few minutes left in the session, we tried Saboteur. I know
                        this is not a "U" game, but it does play rather nicely in about 20-30
                        minutes. Players are dwarves trying to dig a tunnel to the buried gold
                        nugget. The twist is that one of the player might be a saboteur trying to
                        prevent the other players. For 3 players, 3 dwarf cards and 1 saboteur card
                        are shuffled and dealt to the players. The card indicates that person's
                        role this round. As the extra card is not revealed, it is not automatic
                        that there is a saboteur.

                        In addition to playing "tunnel" cards depicting the freshly dug tunnel,
                        there are action cards that disable the digging equipment (pick, mine cart,
                        lantern) or repair damaged equipment. There are cards to remove previously
                        played cards, and maps that let the player peek under one of the 3 target
                        cards. Gold is found only under 1 card as the other 2 just contain rocks.
                        If the dwarves dig to the gold, they win and share in the gold. If the
                        cards are exhausted before the gold can be found, the saboteur wins.

                        In the first round, Rich was the saboteur and tried to be nonchalent about
                        his mischief. He would extend tunnels but not directly toward the goal(s).
                        He didn't damage anyone's equipment directly, but only in retaliation. But
                        as the game progressed, Dave and Lawrence both suspected Rich and not only
                        broke his pick, but smashed his lantern, and tipped over his mine cart.
                        Rich could dig no more until these items were repaired. The draw deck was
                        exhausted and players were just playing from their hands with the tunnel but
                        1 card away from the gold. Lawrence didn't have the necessary card, but did
                        repair Dave's broken lantern allowing Dave to dig to the gold for a dwarven
                        victory (but barely as each had only a couple of cards left in hand). The
                        gold discovery turned out to be rather small as Dave and Lawrences shared a
                        total of 3 gold nuggets. 2 (1+1) to Dave for discovering the gold, and 1 to
                        Lawrence for helping.

                        In the second round, Dave was the saboteur and a bit more direct than Rich
                        as he dead-ended the path to the target cards. This quickly invited a
                        flurry of broken equipment. Dave tried to retialiate, but again Lawrence
                        helped out, this time by repairing Rich's broken cart. Rich dug to the
                        gold. This one was a bit larger node as Rich managed to get 3 nuggets (2+1)
                        while sharing 1 with Lawrence. So after a quick 2 rounds, Rich was the
                        winner with 3 nuggets to Dave and Lawrences 2 each. (We thought about a 3rd
                        round as called for in the rules, but it was past the end time for the
                        session and we all had a good idea about the game.)

                        The one rule we did not utilize is that dwarves with broken equipment do NOT
                        receive any of the gold at the end. In a small-player-number game such as
                        ours, it might make sense to use this rule. It might encourage a bit of
                        doubt and suspicion about the other players. Did he break my pick because
                        he is the saboteur or because he wants all the gold? This might add an
                        interesting dynamic to the game.

                        But I can sense that the game would be fun with more players. Each round
                        lasts about 10~15 minutes, so this is easily a game that can be played over
                        lunch. An enjoyable quick game that I hope I can play again soon.

                        Well, it is late and those are my thoughts for tonight.

                        Remember, I will not be in town next week. Dave is also unavailable, so
                        unless someone steps up to volunteer to host (and send such announcement to
                        the list), we are without a host and a location for next week. I am out of
                        town the following week also, but will leave it to the group to decide if,
                        how, and when they will meet.

                        So so long for now, and I will see you all again in 3 weeks.

                        Rich
                      • Steve Oliver
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 9, 2005
                          Way to go, Dad! It's great to see your daughter enjoying games (and
                          apparently doing pretty well, too!!). Every hobby needs people who
                          pass along its enjoyment to the next generation, and ours is no
                          exception. I think it's easy to assume that kids will just pick up
                          games along the way on their own, but the reality is that many gamers
                          had an adult in their lives (parent, grandparent, etc.) who got them
                          excited about games and kept them going.

                          And great session report, BTW. Sorry I had to bail out with such
                          short notice -- looks like I missed a great game!

                          Steve