Tri Valley Boardgammers Meet June 9th

  • Sterling Wright
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      We are next scheduled to meet on June 9th. I haven't confirmed yet, but I'm
      hoping we'll be able to meet at Scott's place again. If you haven't shown
      up to one of these yet, please give me a call (925) 461-9208 or e-mail me at
      greendragon1@... and we'll make sure you have instructions.

      See everyone Wednessday,

      Sterling
    • Diamond346@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 1999
        Umm...I'm new to the group...only a few hours old. Please be patient with my
        early bumlings. :) May I ask what kind of Board Games do Boardgammers play?
        And what general area y'all are from?

        Thanks,

        Oh! My name is Noreen
        and I am 47 years young.
        Got a worse half that
        likes gaming too. His
        name is Frankie. :)
        We hail from Fremont, CA
      • Sterling Wright
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 1999
          Hi Noreen and thanks for taking time to check us out. I hope both of you
          decide to come to a meeting or two.

          To answer your question, we use the boardgammers to include any type of
          table type gamming excluding role playing games. As a group we play mostly
          traditional (reletively speaking) board and card games (but usually not what
          you find put out by Milton Bradly, Hasbro, etc.). Typically we do not
          play any war games (I'm using the term loosely because we do play games
          about wars), collectable card games or miniatures. Though we have had those
          types of games on rare occasions. We also try and stick with games that can
          be played in an evening and we're always itching to try something new (at
          least I am). Some of the more popular games that we play have been:
          Settelers of Catan, Acquire, Groo the Card Game, Bohnansa, etc.

          We meet every other Wednessday at about 7 at someone's house (recently that
          has usually been Scott) in the Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin area. People
          bring games they would like to play and the people that show up choose which
          games to play. We do not ask for dues or anything of that sort. We are
          simply trying to get together with other people with similar interests.
          Anyone is welcome.

          Sterling

        • Scott Patterson Milster
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 1999
            To all: Yes, my place is available for June 9th. It has also occured
            to me that we haven't done a good job of keeping up the session reports
            so we can post them on the web page. Perhaps we should institute a
            rule that whoever wins a game has to write a session report on it. :)

            To Noreen: Just to expand a little on what Sterling said, most of the
            games we play take 1-2 hours and we usually play several in on
            Wednesday evening. Once in a while I try to get people interested in a
            longer type game for the weekend, since there's a lot of interesting
            games that simply can't be played in an evening.

            I would hesitate to use the word "traditional". To me a traditional
            cardgame can be played with a regular deck of cards and a traditional
            boardgame is something you can pick up at Toys R Us. With that
            definition I don't think we've played a single traditional game since I
            joined the group last fall.

            We also have a webpage (http://members.xoom.com/greendragon1) that
            Sterling put together which does include session reports of the games
            we've played. As I meantioned to everybody we haven't done a good job
            of keeping those up to date. However, you may want to check out the
            archive section, since I think it gives a more accurate picture of the
            games we play. As a general rule people are very open to trying new
            games.

            If you and Frank want to come email me at smilster@... or
            milstersp@... and I'll email directions to you.

            Scott

          • milstersp@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9, 1999
              Is anybody besides me and Sterling going to be at TVB tonight?

              Scott

            • Michael E. Wickett
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9, 1999
                I'll be there.

                Mike
              • Sterling Wright
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9, 1999
                  I now know there should be at least 5.

                  Sterling

                • Diamond346@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 9, 1999
                    Hi everyone,

                    The gaming sounds like fun!! Frank and I would love to come. HOWEVER,
                    Wednesday's are major filled up for a while. Do you ever game on a different
                    day?
                  • Sterling Wright
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9, 1999
                      I understand. That is kind of why we do this every other week rather than
                      every week. We all have other things going on that can take up time. Feel
                      free to join in when you are able.

                      On occasion, we get together on a weekend, but not on a regular basis. If we
                      try and put together a weekend game, we will announce it on this list so
                      that anyone interested can join in.

                      There is also a semi-convention (think convention style open gaming room
                      without an entrance fee) that meets one sat/sun every 3 months called
                      Gamesday. It meets in a library in Los Altos and typically has up to 50
                      people attending.

                      Sterling