RE: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - January 26 - D

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
      Sterling,

      FYI - I also have a copy of Durch Die Wuste, so if you want to bring
      something else, please feel free.

      From: Sterling [mailto:sterlingw@...]
      Subject: RE: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - January 26 - D

      I will be there with Dragon Delta and Durch Die Wuste

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
          --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe"
          <RPardoe@p...> wrote:
          > With so many offerings, can I have a reply from those who plan on
          attending
          > for games at my house on Wednesday, January 26 starting at 6:30?

          I'll be there, and I plan on bringing the following:

        • RPardoe@pacbell.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
            Dave -

            I also have a copy of LOTR - Confrontation, so you can save a bit of bag
            room if you wish. (Of course, if you do bring it, we could split into
            pairs to play both copies of the game. ;-)

            - Rich

            From: Dave Wilson daw65@...

            I'll be there, and I plan on bringing the following:

            > Das war der Wilde Westen (Lawless)
            > De Kolonisten van de Prehistorie (Settlers of the Stone Age)
            > Der Herr der Ringe - Die Entscheidung (LOTR - The Confrontation)
            > Die Fugger
            > Drahtseilakt

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2005
              Jeff, Dave, Sterling, and Lawrence arrived at Rich's house for tonight's
              selection of games. As we have reached D week, we offered up a few
              selections for 5 players. While we did manage to play D games, it would only
              be obvious if we were playing in Deutschland or speaking Dutch (trying to
              keep the D theme here). If we were to go by the English names, we
              time-warped forward to L week.

              The games we played tonight were Der Herr der Ringe and Das war der Wilde
              Westen better known in English as The Lord of the Rings and Lawless.

              The Lord of the Rings
              5-player (Rich (Frodo), Dave (Sam), Jeff (Pippin), Sterling (Merry),
              Lawrence (Fatty))
              Time: 1.5 hours (including rules explanation)

              Overview:
              Each player assumes the role of one of the hobbits seeking to carry the ring
              to Mt. Doom to destroy it. The game is conducted as a series of Scenario's
              (Moria, Helm's Deep, Shelob's Lair, and Mordor). As the game progresses,
              the hobbits can become more corrupt and move up a corruption scale from
              white (0) through gray to black (15). At the same time Sauron's influence
              over the Middle Earth increases meaning that the resistance to Sauron is
              weakening. This is represented by having Sauron move down the corruption
              scale from black (15) to white (0). Should a hobbit and Sauron be at the
              same corruption level, the hobbit succumbs to Sauron's will. Should the
              ring-bearer and Sauron be at the same corruption level, then Sauron has
              captured the ring (and all the players lose.

              As the hobbits move towards Mordor, they will stock up on supplies (cards)
              and life tokens. Both of these items can be spent to ward off bad events,
              summon Gandalf for assistance. So as a simplification, the game is a game
              of resource management while racing against an uncertain timeline that means
              defeat for the players.

              Game Summary:
              Our quest started in good spirits for we had 5 starting on the journey from
              Bag End. Gandalf had given us all a good supply of provisions which would
              see us to Rivendell. But Frodo felt we needed to have even more, but rather
              than sharing the provisions, Frodo was greedy and kept most cards for
              himself. Such greed only appeals to Sauron and Frodo's base corruption was
              increased by 3 as a result.

              After a rapid journey to Rivendell, we received additional provisions, but
              was 5 hobbits on the road, the contribution to each was a bit paltry. But
              no matter, we were still reasonably confident and entered Moria on our way
              to Lothlorien.

              Moria was not an easy passage. Frodo made the first move encountering a
              sundial, but we managed to "Speak Friend and Enter" easily. Pippin made the
              next move uncovering yet another sundial, but we survived the challenge
              presented by the Watcher in the Water. Fatty then uncovered yet a third
              sundial, but did not have matching supplies costing us the pipe. We all
              shuddered as we felt Sauron's influence over the land grow by 1 space. As a
              result, we were "Trapped" and Sauron's influence grew by 2 more spaces.
              Frodo's was weakening from the evil lure of the ring. So great was the
              burden that Frodo advanced an additional 3 spaces towards Sauron. Frodo
              tried to rest and recover, but an attack of Orcs delayed our progress.

              We quickly ran to Lothlorien grateful to be alive and for a chance to
              restock our provisions before continuing on our quest. Sauron's influence
              had spread 3 spaces (to 12) while Frodo had been severely corrupted (to 6).
              Fortunately, sturdy Sam had made good progress and was assigned as the new
              ring bearer. However, our ordeal was so stressful, that we forgot to give
              Sam the necessary extra provisions as new ring-bearer.

              Having passed the Test of Galadriel, we proceeded to Helm's Deep. We must
              have dawdled a bit too much for events occurred in rapid succession. In
              fact, we had experienced 5 events in the first 4 turns. Frodo struggled to
              keep his corruption at 5, but was joined by Sam at 5 and Pippin at 4. Even
              more discouraging, Sauron's influence spread rapidly with events as Sauron's
              influence reached 6. Fatty was given the ring and again, we forgot to give
              Fatty the extra provisions as new ring-bearer.

              Supplies running low, hobbits tempted by evil, Sauron's corruption
              spreading, we limped gamely into the mountains to face the evil thing in
              spider form. Life tokens were at a premium as several hobbits couldn't
              afford to be short any number for to do so would mean succumbing to Sauron's
              evil. But despite valiant efforts and appeals for Gandalf's help, Pippin,
              Sam, and even Frodo turned into evil versions of themselves and succumbed.
              The quest had made it to Mordor, but Merry and Fatty faced Mordor, pure of
              heart but with Sauron a mere five spaces away.

              Bit by bit, the two advanced into Mordor. But with only 2 hobbits left and
              provisions running low, it was a slow, arduous journey. Events again raced
              forward and our hobbits found themselves less than half-way to Mt. Doom when
              they were surrounded by dark forces. Provisions all but gone, Sauron's
              influence advanced 3 spaces to consume the ring-bearer. Our journey was a
              failure.

              Reaction:
              I enjoyed this very thematic game of resource management. Yes, we did get a
              few things wrong. Namely, we forgot to award 2 cards to the ring-bearer at
              the end of each scenario (activity) board. This would have been only 6
              additional cards, but there were more than a few turns when a player could
              only play a single color card effectively halving the possible progress.
              But this error (which appears to be quite common) probably is not what
              sealed our fate. There is no doubt that the game does have a learning curve
              wherein one needs to realize what is important now and what should be saved
              for later. Of course, as one is playing against a system, one might become
              too familiar with the game and the initial enjoyment might wear off...but
              then again, there are the two expansions to the game that probably help to
              keep the overall experience fresh. An enjoyable game that I hope I can play
              again perhaps once or twice this year.

              Lawless
              5-player (Rich, Dave, Jeff, Sterling, Lawrence)
              Time: 1 hour (including rules explanation)

              Overview:
              Each player is trying to become the best rancher in the Wild West. They do
              this by having the most ranches, the most cattle upon those ranches, the
              most cowboys to help protect the cattle, and the most money. Money is
              represented by gold chips that can be acquired from gold mines, trappers, or
              by selling cattle. Ranches, cattle, and cowboys are represented by cards.

              Being the Wild West, there are also cards that allow one to rob another
              player, send a hired gun to kill their cowboys, cause their cattle to
              stampede, or to send an Indian raid. 6 cards are available (at an
              increasing cost of 1 to 6 action points) each turn. A player has 6 action
              points to spend and can also buy additional actions with their gold. As
              cards are purchased, the remaining cards slide down and become cheaper. New
              cards are dealt to fill the higher cost slots. The game ends either when
              the supply of new cards runs out or the bank runs out of money.

              Game Summary:
              5 strangers met on the plains and staked out claims. Rich managed to hire a
              couple of cowboys early to help protect his range, but the initial land was
              sparse and the initial herd was only average. Dave had struck gold with a
              gold mine in one of his ranges. Jeff was the quiet sort, quietly building
              up his hand and then building all at once.

              The first bloodshed came from Dave who had sent a hired gun to kill Rich's
              cowboy. Equally matched killers, they drew and fired at the same time
              killing each other as a result. A plague then descended upon the range as
              Sterling and then Rich both lost valuable head of cattle. Meanwhile,
              Lawrence and Dave both used some "working girls" to attract lawmen to each
              of their ranges.

              A lot of gold was flowing from Dave's mine. So much so that Sterling sent
              an Indian Raid to stop any further income until the cavalry could arrive.
              Jeff had quietly cornered several cowboys, so Rich was next to send a hired
              gun over to Jeff's ranch. This one was a bit better as it did kill one of
              Jeff's cowboys and return with some gold for Rich. Rich's prize herd looked
              too valuable to Lawrence, so another Indian Raid and Rich couldn't cash in
              his herd. By now, Sterling had also discovered gold and drew the bank dry
              of funds. Dave and Rich were both waiting for the cavalry which showed up
              just as Sterling was ending the game.

              Sterling had the most gold, but couldn't monopolize the ranges as Jeff,
              Lawrence and Sterling were all tied. Jeff and Lawrence had the most head of
              cattle, while Dave had managed to hire a final cowboy to get those points.
              When the net value of each player was compared, Jeff emerged the winner, but
              just barely over Lawrence and Sterling:

              Jeff: 14
              Lawrence / Sterling: 13
              Dave: 11
              Rich: 6

              Reaction:
              As one can trade resources of one kind for other resources realizing that
              doing so might give up victory points, I might call this a resource
              management game. There is some interaction between certain pairs of cards,
              so familiarity with the game will probably make it flow a bit quicker than
              our game did and help realize the overall timing of the game - a point I
              missed as I wasn't very successful in any of the development areas. But
              still, there is the luck of the draw as only certain cards cancel other
              cards. The affected player can do nothing more than wait for the
              appropriate card to turn up (or abandon the damage and attempt to start a
              new development. As a result, one shouldn't think too deeply in this game
              making it a nightcap for a gaming session or as a lunchtime game when a
              lighter style of gameplay might be more appropriate.