Roll Call - Gaming Session 5 January

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2005
      Happy New Year to all. Who is available for games at my house on
      Wednesday, 5 January?

      Not much comment (perhaps folks were out of town) on my suggestion to
      game through the alphabet, but I would like to give it a try. Just to
      be clear, the concept isn't to force the game's selection each week to
      start with the letter of the week. Rather to use the letter of the
      week as guidance for games to suggest. As always, it will be by group
      consensus that we decide which games we will play for the evening. If
      you are in attendance, please suggest any game you are interested in
      playing.

      But to give "Gaming through the Alphabet" a try, I have looked at my
      collection and at Dave's collection as listed on BoardGameGeek.com and
      extracted the games that start with the letter "A" and added the names
      at the end of this note.

      Look forward to seeing folks on Wednesday as we settle into a new year
      of gaming.

      Rich Pardoe

      The "A" List of Games:

      Abenteuer Menschheit (Settlers of the Stone Age)
      Acquire
      Africa
      Age of Steam
      Age of Steam Expansion Set #1
      Al Cabohne
      Aladdin's Dragons
      All the Way Home (Galloping Pigs)
      Alles im Eimer (Bucket King)
      Alpha Playing Cards
      Amazing Labyrinth
      Arbos
      Atlantic Star
      Atlantis (Survive)
      Attika
      Au Backe!
      Autoscooter
      Ave Caesar
    • David Wilson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2005
        On Sunday, January 2, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Richard Pardoe wrote:

        > Happy New Year to all. Who is available for games at my house on
        > Wednesday, 5 January?

        I'll be there. And I'll make sure to bring these games along:

        > The "A" List of Games:
        >
        > Abenteuer Menschheit (Settlers of the Stone Age)
        > Aladdin's Dragons
        > Alpha Playing Cards
        > Atlantic Star

        Dave Wilson
      • Sterling
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2005

          I’ll be there and I will bring along Amun-Re and Adel Verpflichtet (By Hook or Crook).

          On Sunday, January 2, 2005, at 11:35  AM, Richard Pardoe wrote:

          > Happy New Year to all.  Who is available for games at my house on
          > Wednesday, 5 January?

          I'll be there. And I'll make sure to bring these games along:

          > The "A" List of Games:
          >
          > Abenteuer Menschheit (Settlers of the Stone Age)
          > Aladdin's Dragons
          > Alpha Playing Cards
          > Atlantic Star

          Dave Wilson

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
            I can't make it this week. I do have some games that start with 'B' so
            I'll probably see you next week.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Sam A.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
              Great idea with playing alphebtically, and most of these are great games!  Unfortunately, Wed. nights conflicts with the weekly games night at Endgame, which I enjoy attending.  So, for the forseeable future I won't be able to make it to these Wed. games  (unless Endgame changes the weekly Wed. game night to a differnt night, which is unlikely.)
              But I will keep checking the postings on this board for perhaps occasional game events on nights beside Wed.

              Cheers,
              Sam

              Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:

[...]

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              < div>

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • reservoirelves
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
                I actually can make this week so I'll see you there.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
                  And Lawrence will make 5 (for those thinking about choices).

                  If we had had 3, I was going to offer Age of Steam for vote, but think
                  it might be a bit long for 5 first-time players. While I might still
                  offer it, I am considering other choices for tomorrow night.

                  Rich

                  Again, the (as I know it) list of "A" games:

                  Abenteuer Menschheit (Settlers of the Stone Age)
                  Acquire
                  Adel Verpflichtet (By Hook or By Crook)
                  Africa
                  Age of Steam
                  Age of Steam Expansion Set #1
                  Al Cabohne
                  Aladdin's Dragons
                  All the Way Home (Galloping Pigs)
                  Alles im Eimer (Bucket King)
                  Alpha Playing Cards
                  Amazing Labyrinth
                  Amen Re
                  Arbos
                  Atlantic Star
                  Atlantis (Survive)
                  Attika
                  Au Backe!
                  Autoscooter
                  Ave Caesar

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
                      Doesn't seem to be a Hell Night here at work, so I can make it too.
                      We might break into two groups, so we might play Age of Steam anyways.

                      --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hammond"
                      <j.hammond@c...> wrote:
                      > Sean might be there as well.

                      January

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
                        Lawrence and Sterling arrived a bit early, so we looked for a quick
                        game to play while waiting for the others to arrive. Sterling had
                        been bringing CALL MY BLUFF (aka Liar's Dice aka Perudo). Each player
                        starts the game with 5 dice which are rolled secretly. Players then
                        make successively higher declarations regarding the values of all dice
                        until someone challenges the declaration. When that happens, the dice
                        are revealed. If the bidder was correct, the challenger loses dice.
                        If the challenger was correct (and the declaration wrong), the bidder
                        loses dice. The last player with dice is the winner.

                        Rich was the first to lose dice losing 2 on a first round overbid, but
                        made it up in the next round by getting the bid exactly correct
                        forcing Lawrence and Sterling each to lose a die. The third round
                        started with 11 dice still in play and Rich starting with a bid of
                        four 5's. Lawrence raised this to five 4's which sterling raised to
                        seven 5's. Rich raised this to eight 5's. Lawrence couldn't believe
                        that 8 of 11 dice had 5's or stars so challenged. The cups were
                        lifted and 9 5's/star's were revealed costing Lawrence another die.
                        Sterling lost another die the next round so that all players were down
                        to 3 each. Players continued to lose die and the game reached an
                        endpoint with Rich at 2 die, Lawrence and Sterling at 1 die each.
                        Lawrence lost his final die to be eliminated. Rich and Sterling faced
                        off with Sterling having the initial bid. On his single die, Sterling
                        bid two 5's. Rich had actually rolled a five and a star, so had the
                        two fives covered easily. Suspecting that Sterling might have a five
                        in hand, Rich bid three 5's and was challenged by Sterling. The cups
                        were raised to reveal Sterling's single 5 which combined with Rich's 5
                        and star was indeed three 5's. Sterling loses his last die and the
                        opening round goes to Rich.

                        In the middle of the game, Jeff, Dave, and Carrie had arrived and we
                        had our complement of 6 for the evening. In keeping with the spirit
                        of gaming through the alphabet, a number of 6-player "A" games were
                        suggested:

                        Acquire
                        Age of Steam (but probably just a learning game in the time available
                        as we were all tyros)
                        Atlantic Star
                        Ave Caesar

                        A quick vote later and we were all planning to charter ships in
                        ATLANTIC STAR. We had last played this game May 19 and an overview of
                        gameplay can be found in that session report:
                        time with 6 players (instead of 3) we started with half the cash and
                        half the ships: 18,000 marks and needing to charter a minimum of 18
                        ships. As ships cost an average of 1,500 marks, one can see that this
                        is a cash tight game and loans against ships to generate income (but
                        perhaps at the cost of victory points) is a decision that every player
                        faces.

                        I have notes about the various cruises played by folks, but found that
                        when I went to reassemble the final board, I missed a few cruises.
                        Also, I think it would be less than interesting reading to read a
                        litany of scores. Some interesting things of note during the game.
                        An interesting start to the game as 3 of the 4 initial ships were the
                        wild card "Royal William". Rich did pick up one of the ships only to
                        see it followed by a fourth. Rich did pick up a second hoping to keep
                        some flexibility in his hand. But the other two weren't generating
                        interest and stayed at the 0 and 1,000 mark offers until Rich finally
                        paid to clear the board. With 6 players, the offer board changes
                        radically by the time a player has to chose again. Therefore, there
                        is little sense to planning one's move until just a few players
                        before. Of course, one should watch for cards taken, but trying to
                        plan a round-trip itinerary from the choices can't really be done
                        until a player or two before one's turn. As a result, a lot of what
                        is on offer appears to be the "luck of the draw". Early one, Rich
                        found a couple high-valued ships (9 pointers) for the Atlantic cruise
                        at the 1,000 mark offer and could score top points in the Atlantic
                        tour. But in the middle-game, Rich couldn't complete the Pacific tour
                        for more than 5th place points. Other players seemed to have similar
                        results. Scoring high in some tours, but low in others. As a result,
                        the game came down to the player with the best overall balance:

                        Sterling: 41 points
                        Dave: 40 points
                        Carrie & Rich: 38 points
                        Jeff: 36 points
                        Lawrence: 29 points

                        I looked back at my reaction of the first playing and I find that my
                        thoughts are about the same. My own score reflects more than a bit of
                        luck in being able to get nice cruises with high points for decent
                        money as I didn't really seem to have any agonizing choices what to
                        do. Last time, I felt that the loan decision was critical, but this
                        time, I landed such a poor Pacific cruise in second to last place when
                        placed on the board, that it was a no brainer to borrow the max as
                        with or without the loan, the points would remain unchanged. As this
                        was the only loan I took out, I didn't have any other real decisions
                        to make. Of the two playings, I probably would prefer this game with
                        fewer players to allow for a bit less randomness in the game. But
                        that said, it remains a nice, quickly played game of set collection
                        with money management thrown in to keep the pressure on.

                        Having completed our "A" game of the week, we still had about 1 hour
                        left and brought TYPO to the table. Keeping with our A-Z gaming
                        theme, this is a card game wherein each card represents 1 letter of
                        the alphabet. A deck of 64 cards is dealt equally to each of the
                        players and the remaining 4 cards are placed in column in the middle
                        of the table. Each player will select a letter from their hand and
                        attempt to place it at the front or back of a row such that the
                        letters from the start of a word. So in a sense, the game combines
                        aspects of 6 Nimmt! and Scrabble. The scrabble part is obvious as
                        players are trying to form the start of legitimate words. The 6
                        Nimmt! aspect is in the card play. Each player will select a card
                        from their hand and simultaneously reveal it. In the first round, the
                        cards are played in alphabetical order, so card choice is not only a
                        matter of what letters can form words with the cards on the table, but
                        also when in the turn one is likely to play and what choices might
                        remain. Another aspect shared with 6 Nimmt! - when a player can't
                        form the start of word with their letter, they take a row of cards
                        (with cards worth 1 negative point apiece).

                        I tend to be cautious about word games as one's vocabulary can play a
                        key factor in the enjoyment of the game. But TYPO plays in such a
                        quick manner and with such options that this is minimized a bit. I
                        did have one complaint about the card play though. Our game devolved
                        into a situation wherein players were taking the shortest row to
                        minimize penalty points. As a result, 3 out of the 4 rows were
                        essentially not in play with the exception of single letter additions
                        to make DECOLONIZe and GRENADIER. This left the game with a very
                        static feel and hope that the other players had common letters upon
                        which to build words.

                        But when I checked out the publisher's website
                        (http://www.cwali.com/typo/typo.htm), it appears we played
                        incorrectly. When a player can't play their card, they do not have a
                        choice of row to take as penalty. They must clear out the LONGEST row
                        on the board as shown in the example in the above link. As a result,
                        we would have cleared out DECOLO and GRENAD earlier in the game and
                        had more options upon which to play. This would have been perhaps 5
                        or 6 additional penalty points to a player which might have tightened
                        up the scores. Indirectly, this rule also impacts the second round as
                        more cards are drawn into hand and are thus dealt out making for a
                        longer lasting second round also. I do hope we get a chance to try
                        this game again soon with the correct rules as I believe the correct
                        rules will eliminate the static perception I had of the game we played
                        tonight.

                        For the record, our (incorrectly played) scores were:

                        Jeff: 9
                        Dave: 9
                        Sterling: 13
                        Rich: 17
                        Carrie: 18
                        Lawrence: 24

                        But all in all, a very nice session tonight. A large group of people
                        playing 3 games. We almost split into 2 groups, but could find games
                        that the entire group could play. I did enjoy the focus on "A" games
                        for the week leading up to the session and hope that next week's
                        attempt to play a "B" game is just as successful.

                        Until then, game on.

                        Rich Pardoe
                      • David Wilson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
                          On Thursday, January 6, 2005, at 12:47 AM, Richard Pardoe wrote:

                          > Our
                          > game (of Typo) devolved
                          > into a situation wherein players were taking the shortest row to
                          > minimize penalty points. As a result, 3 out of the 4 rows were
                          > essentially not in play with the exception of single letter additions
                          > to make DECOLONIZe and GRENADIER. This left the game with a very
                          > static feel and hope that the other players had common letters upon
                          > which to build words.
                          >
                          > But when I checked out the publisher's website
                          > (http://www.cwali.com/typo/typo.htm), it appears we played
                          > incorrectly. When a player can't play their card, they do not have a
                          > choice of row to take as penalty. They must clear out the LONGEST row
                          > on the board as shown in the example in the above link. As a result,

                          I discovered this mistake of mine this morning, on the 'geek. Once
                          again, the 90% rules strikes! I promise next time to be a little more
                          thorough in reading the rules before introducing a new game. Sorry,
                          gang.

                          Dave Wilson