Re: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - Wednesday (8 Dec)

  • David Wallace
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
      I plan to come. This is the only Wednesday this month I can make.

      Dave Wallace

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
        Sean and I will be there too.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
          Dave (Wilson) and Sterling were the first to arrive and we were
          discussing what to play with 6 and the general consensus drifted
          towards AutoScooter by Bambus Spieleverlag. As the game requires a
          bit of set-up, Dave and Sterling started to set the game up when Jeff
          arrived sans Sean. While we would be 5 for the evening (and more
          games play 5 than play 6), we decided to continue with AutoScooter as
          it was almost set up when Dave W(allace) joined to round out the group
          for tonight's session.

          AUTOSCOOTER

          Bumper cars, that is the theme of this game as each player tries to
          maneuver their scooter around a small space gaining points for hitting
          others, but losing points for getting hit. The board is nice piece of
          wood with 38 hexes (5-6-5-6-5-6-5) cared into its surface. Each of
          the 2 inch hexes can hold 1 scooter. The scooters themselves are nice
          wooden pieces with a nail stuck in the back - both to represent the
          connecting rod to the power grid above the scooter arena and to hold
          chits that represent the scooters speed. A game consists he game
          consists of 11 turns. Each turn consists of 2 phases - planning and
          action.

          In the planning phase, each player simultaneously (and secretly)
          decides their cars motion for that turn. Movement ranges from a slow,
          but nimble 1 hex move, to the fast, but straight, 3 hex move. For a 1
          hex move, the scooter moves to the hex ahead of it and then can make a
          sharp turn of up to 2 hexsides. For a 3 hex move, the scooter can
          only move through the 3 hexes in front of it without turning. A 2 hex
          move allows the scooter to move forward 2 hexes, but is limited to
          gentle turns of 1 hexside. Furthermore, a player may increase or
          decrease speed by 1 each turn (but may not come to a complete
          standstill (movement = 0) voluntarily. Each of the possible
          maneuvers is matched to a letter from A ~ P. A player selects the
          letter for the corresponding maneuver and enters it on their maneuver
          log.

          The maneuver log lists each turn for each player. As the game can
          play 8 players, there are 88 turns listed. Each turn is numbered from
          1 to 88. The numbering snakes back and forth, so that players that
          have low numbers in the first row will have higher numbers in the
          second row. What is the importance of the number? Each turn, the
          person with the lowest numbered maneuver goes first and proceeds in
          rank order until the person with the highest numbered maneuver moves
          last. Therefore, players not only have to decide how to move, but to
          try and guess (or strategize) when to move. Timing is critical as
          collisions might change the facing of the scooter and they are forced
          to make their programmed move in a direction that was not originally
          intended by the player.

          After everyone has selected their maneuver, the scooters are moved in
          order as indicated above. If the scooter moves unimpeded to the end
          of its plotted move that ends that players turn. But if the path is
          obstructed by another scooter (or a barrier such as the edge of the
          playing field) a collision occurs and the effects of the collision
          resolved.

          A head-on collision will score for the FASTER scooter victory chits
          equal to the difference of the two speeds but both scooters have their
          speed reduced to 0. A read-end collision will score the ramming
          scooter victory chits equal to the "ramming speed" of the scooter. A
          side impact will score victory chits equal to the sum of the speeds
          for both scooters and rotate the rammed scooter 60° (1 hexside) away
          from the impact. Each player starts with a set number of victory
          chits and owner of the rammed car pays the victory chits from their
          stash to the owner of the ramming car. The game ends after 11 turns
          and the player with the most victory chits wins the game.

          As we had only 5 players, we opted to use the additional rule of a
          "wild car" on to board. Each player programs a move for this 6th car
          and the player who moves last also moves the "wild car" the programmed
          move they had selected. The "wild car" can earn and lose victory
          chits also, but these are supplied from the extra chits in the game.

          We each jumped into our scooter sitting stationary on the edge of the
          board and proceeded into the game. The first 2 moves were relatively
          modest as each player could only move 1 space, so in general people
          started to move towards the center. On Turn 3, Sterling scored the
          first points by hitting the "wild car" in the side for 5 points. Dave
          W had also had his sites on lucrative side impact, but the impact of
          Sterling's crash turned the "wild car" and Dave W ended up with a
          head-on collision for only 1 chit. Furthermore, Dave W suddenly found
          himself stopped in the middle of the board.

          On Turn 4 Rich had planned an elegant move to get behind a few cars on
          the side, but didn't choose a high enough turn number. As a result,
          Rich moved before the other scooters and presented his side wide open
          to Jeff who promptly hit it to score 5 points from Rich. For the next
          turn, Rich had not had the opportunity to move (or adjust speed), so
          Jeff got another 5 points from Rich while Dave managed to get 3 points
          for hitting the "wild car".

          As Jeff hadn't really moved hitting Rich a second time, he was a prime
          target for Sterling who not only collected 4 points from Jeff but also
          turned Jeff into the wall which Jeff's programmed move promptly hit.
          Dave W. took his turn hitting Rich to take the last of Rich's chits at
          this point in the game. With no more chits to pay, there is no
          incentive to hitting Rich. But Dave W. hit lines Rich up nicely for a
          hit on Sterling to give Rich 5 chits. Thinking that Rich was not a
          worthy target, Dave W had plotted a move to just end behind Rich, so
          Rich at least held onto chits for the short term.

          By now (Turn 8), the cars were all clustering into one area of the
          board. The amazing thing is that very little head-on contact was
          made, so no one dropped to stationary. But it would start to trigger
          cascading hits for the next three turns as chits were won and then
          lost in a series of chain collisions. Rich managed to avoid this
          mayhem by virtue of being hit and forced into the wall. The mayhem
          started slowly, Dave W hit Dave. Dave W was then hit by Jeff who in
          turn was hit by Dave, netting Dave 1 chit. In turn 10, Sterling got
          into the act as the chain started with Dave hitting Jeff who turned
          and hit Dave W who was turned and hit Sterling who was turned and hit
          Dave. Just as Dave was getting his senses cleared, the "wild car"
          came and hit Dave again.

          Everyone got into the act on the final turn. Dave W hit Sterling.
          Rich (who had gotten his scooter off the wall last turn) manages to
          hit Jeff who was spun and hit Dave. Sterling hits the "wild car" and
          Dave ends the game by hitting Dave W. A lot of mayhem at the end and
          the victory chit count was:

          Sterling: 23
          Dave W: 22
          Jeff: 15
          Dave: 10
          Wild Car: 6 (including the missing black chit which I did find on the
          floor post session)
          Rich: 4

          So continuing the tradition started in "Black Rose" - Rich loses not
          only to the other players, but also to the "drone" player.
          Game time: 15 minutes rules explanation, 75 minutes game play.

          With about an hour left, we decided for a game of Space Beans.

          SPACE BEANS

          A follow-up to Bohnanza, but without the trading. Instead a player is
          given a hand of cards from the player on their left, draws cards (if
          desired), harvests (if desired) and then plants. Cards left in hand
          are then passed right while game play moves left. In Space Beans, a
          harvested field is only worth something if the number of cards in the
          field is represented on one of the cards harvested. Each type of bean
          is numbered from 1 to 9, so a field consisting of 5 cards, for
          example, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 is worth 5 points (5 cards and contains the 5
          card). If the field had contained 3, 4, 6, 8, 9 it would be harvested
          for 0 points.

          The game itself plays fairly quickly as we were done in about 45
          minutes. Each of the players seemed to following various strategies.
          Dave W scored often but with smaller (1, 2, 3 point) fields. Rich on
          the other hand seemed to go after a large field (9 points) at the
          start. One of his fields was started as he knew Sterling (player on
          his right) was collecting red, so Rich started a private field in Red
          to prevent the points to Sterling. Only trouble was he had 5 cards in
          the field, but no 5 card. Dave seemed to balance his approach the
          best, some large, some small and ended the game with a 2 field harvest
          to get 34 points and the 3 point bonus for a final score of 37 and the
          win.

          Rich did manage to get a final harvest and 27 points. Dave W also had
          27 points. Sterling had 22 points while Jeff (player to Dave's right)
          seemed to get only Dave's rejects that never were much help and scored
          only 15 points.

          And so ends another Wednesday evening of gaming.