RE: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - Wednesday (8 Dec)

  • Sterling
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
      I will be there this week.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Richard Pardoe [mailto:RPardoe@...]
      Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 3:05 PM
      To: TriValley Gamers (E-mail)
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Roll Call - Wednesday (8 Dec)

      Having discussed the Wednesday night gaming sessions with my wife, we
      are more than happy to "permanently" host the Wednesday gaming
      sessions. In other words, unless someone prefers an alternate
      location, we can count on games at my house on Wednesdays.
      Hopefully, this will remove at least some uncertainty each week about
      if and where we will have games.

      I will still send a list at the beginning of the week to get a roll
      call of potential gamers so that we can all consider which games to
      bring to the table. So with that in mind - who can make games on
      Wednesday - 8 December?

      Rich

      PS - If anyone needs directions to my house in San Ramon, please
      contact me offlist and I will send them to you.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
        I plan to come. This is the only Wednesday this month I can make.

        Dave Wallace

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
          Sean and I will be there too.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
            Dave (Wilson) and Sterling were the first to arrive and we were
            discussing what to play with 6 and the general consensus drifted
            towards AutoScooter by Bambus Spieleverlag. As the game requires a
            bit of set-up, Dave and Sterling started to set the game up when Jeff
            arrived sans Sean. While we would be 5 for the evening (and more
            games play 5 than play 6), we decided to continue with AutoScooter as
            it was almost set up when Dave W(allace) joined to round out the group
            for tonight's session.

            AUTOSCOOTER

            Bumper cars, that is the theme of this game as each player tries to
            maneuver their scooter around a small space gaining points for hitting
            others, but losing points for getting hit. The board is nice piece of
            wood with 38 hexes (5-6-5-6-5-6-5) cared into its surface. Each of
            the 2 inch hexes can hold 1 scooter. The scooters themselves are nice
            wooden pieces with a nail stuck in the back - both to represent the
            connecting rod to the power grid above the scooter arena and to hold
            chits that represent the scooters speed. A game consists he game
            consists of 11 turns. Each turn consists of 2 phases - planning and
            action.

            In the planning phase, each player simultaneously (and secretly)
            decides their cars motion for that turn. Movement ranges from a slow,
            but nimble 1 hex move, to the fast, but straight, 3 hex move. For a 1
            hex move, the scooter moves to the hex ahead of it and then can make a
            sharp turn of up to 2 hexsides. For a 3 hex move, the scooter can
            only move through the 3 hexes in front of it without turning. A 2 hex
            move allows the scooter to move forward 2 hexes, but is limited to
            gentle turns of 1 hexside. Furthermore, a player may increase or
            decrease speed by 1 each turn (but may not come to a complete
            standstill (movement = 0) voluntarily. Each of the possible
            maneuvers is matched to a letter from A ~ P. A player selects the
            letter for the corresponding maneuver and enters it on their maneuver
            log.

            The maneuver log lists each turn for each player. As the game can
            play 8 players, there are 88 turns listed. Each turn is numbered from
            1 to 88. The numbering snakes back and forth, so that players that
            have low numbers in the first row will have higher numbers in the
            second row. What is the importance of the number? Each turn, the
            person with the lowest numbered maneuver goes first and proceeds in
            rank order until the person with the highest numbered maneuver moves
            last. Therefore, players not only have to decide how to move, but to
            try and guess (or strategize) when to move. Timing is critical as
            collisions might change the facing of the scooter and they are forced
            to make their programmed move in a direction that was not originally
            intended by the player.

            After everyone has selected their maneuver, the scooters are moved in
            order as indicated above. If the scooter moves unimpeded to the end
            of its plotted move that ends that players turn. But if the path is
            obstructed by another scooter (or a barrier such as the edge of the
            playing field) a collision occurs and the effects of the collision
            resolved.

            A head-on collision will score for the FASTER scooter victory chits
            equal to the difference of the two speeds but both scooters have their
            speed reduced to 0. A read-end collision will score the ramming
            scooter victory chits equal to the "ramming speed" of the scooter. A
            side impact will score victory chits equal to the sum of the speeds
            for both scooters and rotate the rammed scooter 60° (1 hexside) away
            from the impact. Each player starts with a set number of victory
            chits and owner of the rammed car pays the victory chits from their
            stash to the owner of the ramming car. The game ends after 11 turns
            and the player with the most victory chits wins the game.

            As we had only 5 players, we opted to use the additional rule of a
            "wild car" on to board. Each player programs a move for this 6th car
            and the player who moves last also moves the "wild car" the programmed
            move they had selected. The "wild car" can earn and lose victory
            chits also, but these are supplied from the extra chits in the game.

            We each jumped into our scooter sitting stationary on the edge of the
            board and proceeded into the game. The first 2 moves were relatively
            modest as each player could only move 1 space, so in general people
            started to move towards the center. On Turn 3, Sterling scored the
            first points by hitting the "wild car" in the side for 5 points. Dave
            W had also had his sites on lucrative side impact, but the impact of
            Sterling's crash turned the "wild car" and Dave W ended up with a
            head-on collision for only 1 chit. Furthermore, Dave W suddenly found
            himself stopped in the middle of the board.

            On Turn 4 Rich had planned an elegant move to get behind a few cars on
            the side, but didn't choose a high enough turn number. As a result,
            Rich moved before the other scooters and presented his side wide open
            to Jeff who promptly hit it to score 5 points from Rich. For the next
            turn, Rich had not had the opportunity to move (or adjust speed), so
            Jeff got another 5 points from Rich while Dave managed to get 3 points
            for hitting the "wild car".

            As Jeff hadn't really moved hitting Rich a second time, he was a prime
            target for Sterling who not only collected 4 points from Jeff but also
            turned Jeff into the wall which Jeff's programmed move promptly hit.
            Dave W. took his turn hitting Rich to take the last of Rich's chits at
            this point in the game. With no more chits to pay, there is no
            incentive to hitting Rich. But Dave W. hit lines Rich up nicely for a
            hit on Sterling to give Rich 5 chits. Thinking that Rich was not a
            worthy target, Dave W had plotted a move to just end behind Rich, so
            Rich at least held onto chits for the short term.

            By now (Turn 8), the cars were all clustering into one area of the
            board. The amazing thing is that very little head-on contact was
            made, so no one dropped to stationary. But it would start to trigger
            cascading hits for the next three turns as chits were won and then
            lost in a series of chain collisions. Rich managed to avoid this
            mayhem by virtue of being hit and forced into the wall. The mayhem
            started slowly, Dave W hit Dave. Dave W was then hit by Jeff who in
            turn was hit by Dave, netting Dave 1 chit. In turn 10, Sterling got
            into the act as the chain started with Dave hitting Jeff who turned
            and hit Dave W who was turned and hit Sterling who was turned and hit
            Dave. Just as Dave was getting his senses cleared, the "wild car"
            came and hit Dave again.

            Everyone got into the act on the final turn. Dave W hit Sterling.
            Rich (who had gotten his scooter off the wall last turn) manages to
            hit Jeff who was spun and hit Dave. Sterling hits the "wild car" and
            Dave ends the game by hitting Dave W. A lot of mayhem at the end and
            the victory chit count was:

            Sterling: 23
            Dave W: 22
            Jeff: 15
            Dave: 10
            Wild Car: 6 (including the missing black chit which I did find on the
            floor post session)
            Rich: 4

            So continuing the tradition started in "Black Rose" - Rich loses not
            only to the other players, but also to the "drone" player.
            Game time: 15 minutes rules explanation, 75 minutes game play.

            With about an hour left, we decided for a game of Space Beans.

            SPACE BEANS

            A follow-up to Bohnanza, but without the trading. Instead a player is
            given a hand of cards from the player on their left, draws cards (if
            desired), harvests (if desired) and then plants. Cards left in hand
            are then passed right while game play moves left. In Space Beans, a
            harvested field is only worth something if the number of cards in the
            field is represented on one of the cards harvested. Each type of bean
            is numbered from 1 to 9, so a field consisting of 5 cards, for
            example, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 is worth 5 points (5 cards and contains the 5
            card). If the field had contained 3, 4, 6, 8, 9 it would be harvested
            for 0 points.

            The game itself plays fairly quickly as we were done in about 45
            minutes. Each of the players seemed to following various strategies.
            Dave W scored often but with smaller (1, 2, 3 point) fields. Rich on
            the other hand seemed to go after a large field (9 points) at the
            start. One of his fields was started as he knew Sterling (player on
            his right) was collecting red, so Rich started a private field in Red
            to prevent the points to Sterling. Only trouble was he had 5 cards in
            the field, but no 5 card. Dave seemed to balance his approach the
            best, some large, some small and ended the game with a 2 field harvest
            to get 34 points and the 3 point bonus for a final score of 37 and the
            win.

            Rich did manage to get a final harvest and 27 points. Dave W also had
            27 points. Sterling had 22 points while Jeff (player to Dave's right)
            seemed to get only Dave's rejects that never were much help and scored
            only 15 points.

            And so ends another Wednesday evening of gaming.